SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting Tidbit

sodakfan

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From today's Herald:

Brett Rousseau, a 6-foot-3, 290-pound offensive lineman from Hopkins (Minn.) High School has given UND a verbal commitment to play football next season.

Rousseau was recruited by a number of North Central Conference schools in addition to Division I Northern Iowa.

Other Division II schools that recruited Rousseau included St. Cloud State, Augustana and Minnesota-Duluth.

North Dakota State and South Dakota State also recruited Rousseau.

It looks like Freund has committed to UND, according to this link. He is a great get, and I believe he was UND's number one quarterback target. Hopefully this bodes well in the recruitment of Heckendorf, as well. The link also confirms Rohde's commitment.

Freund is 6'1", 190. He was named first team all-state in Wisconsin by the A.P., and second team by the Journal Sentinel. He threw for 3438 yards and 40 td's as a senior, and ran for 5 td's. An opposing coach had this to say about him:

"He's really elusive as a quarterback," said Keith Deaton, coach at Wilmot. "He throws the ball with tremendous accuracy. You'll have a guy covered and he'll find a way to sneak the ball in there. He has a big-time arm."

92,96 - Thanks for the post - I appreciate all the research you do.

Getting Freund would be outstanding - it certainly sounds like he is the real deal. I agree - it may help land Heckendorf. Adding Freund to the current group of QBs will make that position very competitive - in other words, a couple of them will likely need to find other positions.

UND recruiting target Matt Lien from Duluth is going to Augie according to this link.

Also, all-state defensive tackle Dustin Martin from Moorhead is going to Bemidji St. according to the Forum. UND and St. Cloud, among others, had also been recruiting him. I'm fairly certain NDSU did, as well. A bit of a curious decision for Martin since his Forum all-star team bio stated that he was being recruited by Minnesota, among others. I doubt very much he was offered by the Gophers, but generally all-state players who draw even a passing interest from Minnesota don't end up at Bemidji. This could be one of their highest profile signees in a long, long time.

More recruiting news on the UND front. Again, I have very reliable resources:

Verbal Commitments

Brian Trone(sp?) OL from Racine, WI - I have heard that he will be the top OL recruit this year.

Drake Otto CB from Bretford, WI - Also have heard that he will be the top DB recruit this year.

Brandon Jordan CB from Canada - solid prospect from what i hear.

Trenbreath kid from Cavalier - don't know much about him. Feel free to expand on him.

A CB from Eveleth, MN, cant remember his name though.

Some negative news

Mike Stadnyk, OL from Canada will more than likely commit to Montana. He was number one on UND's O-line board. Dang it.

Kole Heckendorf, WR from WI - sounds like he will commit to ndsu.

Overall, it sounds like we have a very solid class this year. Im guessing after all the smaller scholarship money players commit, maybe 17-18 kids will sign on signing day . But those smaller scholarship kids could also turn out to be steals in the long run. It always happens.

Have any of you heard anything new about Belquist? I believe (I could very well be wrong) that he is generally considered the best player in Class A. If Heckendorf does indeed commit and the rumors about Jark from Aberdeen coming to SU are also true, that would give us at least two WR's in this class. I know at one time he was also considering playing hoops somewhere, so maybe he has decided to take that option.

Here's a link regarding Erik Moe and another Duluth area recruit, Derek Malner from Eveleth-Gilbert.

While not all of these are 100% confirmed, here is an updated verbal commitment list:

Weston Dressler, Bismarck

Jake Caufield, Minot

Rory Manke, Detroit Lakes

Mike Rohde, Schofield, WI

Reece Henrickson, Stephen-Argyle

Mike Yilek, Eden Prairie

Erik Moe, Int'l Falls

Brett Rousseau, Hopkins

Danny Freund, Kenosha, WI

Brandon Jordan, Winnipeg

Brian Troen, Racine, WI

Drake Otto, Kenosha, WI

Brady Trenbeath, Cavalier

Derek Malner, Eveleth-Gilbert

Have any of you heard anything new about Belquist? I believe (I could very well be wrong) that he is generally considered the best player in Class A. If Heckendorf does indeed commit and the rumors about Jark from Aberdeen coming to SU are also true, that would give us at least two WR's in this class. I know at one time he was also considering playing hoops somewhere, so maybe he has decided to take that option.

I haven't heard anything about his recruitment. My best guess would be that he would play basketball for a DAC-10 school, or possibly go to NDSU for football, although most likely as a walk-on.

According to a poster on the wisconsinpreps.com message board, UND has received a commitment from receiver Alex Nicholas from Franklin, WI. He's 6'1", 180, and had 67 catches for 1366 yards and 15 td's this year. He was named all-state by the WFCA and all-area by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The administrator at Badgerstatepreps.com has posted that Kole Heckendorf is most likely headed to North Dakota unless a last minute offer comes up. This is different then what Vince posted, we'll see tommorrow, it is always an interesting and exciting day.

The administrator at Badgerstatepreps.com has posted that Kole Heckendorf is most likely headed to North Dakota unless a last minute offer comes up.  This is different then what Vince posted, we'll see tommorrow, it is always an interesting and exciting day.

For whatever it's worth, the badgerstatepreps.com post came one day after vince's post. It would definitely be great to get this kid. We'll know for sure within the next 24 hours.