SiouxSports.com Forum

The Big Sky Concern

GeauxSioux

Hak is as jammed up as anyone else right now.

Say "keep it" and he is effectively screwing every other of his coaching peers and athletic program at UND, including womens hockey, and ultimately his own when his calls to Minneapolis and Madison to schedule games go unanswered.

Say "lose it" and the Chewey/Fetch/DaveK/ksixpack mindset will call for his head for not being for the name at all costs.

Mr. Faison was on KNOX this morning. A caller told him he should have fired Hakstol after the e-mail, that's what would have happened in private business if someone was insubordinate. Faison told him that Universities don't work like a private business. He said that he had a meeting with Hakstol and did as much as he could. He also said that they came to an understanding during that meeting. He wouldn't elaborate any further.

I would never call for his head - But I think he will leave as soon as possible once it is lost & that is sad - can you imagine who Fasion & Kelly will pick as our next coach .........a Sioux hater ? or someone who does not care - that is sad too

Mr. Faison was on KNOX this morning. A caller told him he should have fired Hakstol after the e-mail, that's what would have happened in private business if someone was insubordinate. Faison told him that Universities don't work like a private business. He said that he had a meeting with Hakstol and did as much as he could. He also said that they came to an understanding during that meeting. He wouldn't elaborate any further.

The insubordination began with some PC professors at UND. If Hakstol got fired for speaking out, they should have as well.

• Upvote 1

I would never call for his head - But I think he will leave as soon as possible once it is lost & that is sad - can you imagine who Fasion & Kelly will pick as our next coach .........a Sioux hater ? or someone who does not care - that is sad too

Where is he going to go - toil in the AHL somewhere and uproot his family because of a nickname? He is at the top of college hockey already, its either NHL or down. We all know he isn't going anywhere because of the name, it would be because of a better opportunity.

Why do you care? You're only concerned about the moniker, not the school or its athletic programs.

The insubordination began with some PC professors at UND. If Hakstol got fired for speaking out, they should have as well.

I have mixed feelings on that issue both ways. Free speech is very important, especially at institutions of higher learning. I was just reporting what happened on the radio.

If Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin were SERIOUS about their commitment, they would ask the Big 10 to kindly schedule them against Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Miami, North Carolina State, Boston College, or any other ACC team not named "Seminoles." They aren't locked in by conference affiliation at all. The school policy is that they will not schedule any teams with Indian-related imagery and/or mascots. They're hypocrites and they know it.

The goofs played Central Michigan this year in BB...no conference affiliation.

But you are willing to let the rest of the Athletic Department die rather than give up the nickname.

It goes far beyond that. He stated in another post that he would rather have a minor league team known as the Fighting Sioux play at the Ralph than give up the nickname.

I've come to the conclusion that it is pointless to argue with those that consider the REA their church, the Fighting Sioux logo their cross, and Ralph Engelstad their prophet.

When I read things like athletic "martyrdom" being an acceptable outcome in this situation, I serious believe there are a few that post here that could use a thorough mental health evaluation.

And let the hockey program give up legendary rivalries with Minnesota and Wisconsin, and possibly schools too.

I'm still trying to understand if people i) still don't believe this is going to happen; or ii) just don't care? I know it was referenced in the Herald article today that some have actually indicated to Faison that they don't care if MN and WI are no longer going to be on the schedule at all, but whether or not that's the prevailing view of the keep-the-nickname-at-all-costs crowd is a mystery to me.

+1

You hit that one out the park. Jeanotte, for one IMO, should of had his a** canned a long time ago.

I've been going back and forth on this issue for as long as you have. I don't want our student athletes to become victims but there's so much more involved than just a name or a conference. I abhore the total and complete control the NC$$ has over their membership (yes, I am aware it is a volunteer membership). They are not our institutional leaders. They are not our State representatives. They are not our National representatives. They are not our lawmakers. Yet, they've taken on the role of political correctness and social justice enforcers. Who gave them that authority. We did but it was under duress. WIthout the NCAA we would not be competing against the best; we would be junior league at best. Unfortunately, if we don't change our name, that may happen.

I don't have the answer. I do know that rolling over and exposing our neck to the NC$$ feels very, very wrong.

• Upvote 2

I'm still trying to understand if people i) still don't believe this is going to happen; or ii) just don't care? I know it was referenced in the Herald article today that some have actually indicated to Faison that they don't care if MN and WI are no longer going to be on the schedule at all, but whether or not that's the prevailing view of the keep-the-nickname-at-all-costs crowd is a mystery to me.

They probably won't believe our new "reality" until the women's hockey team actually plays its "home" playoff games in Fargo ... or more likely if the men's team has to hit the road too if they end up with a home berth. And even then, they'll still probably keep clinging to the moniker and waiting for some vain "salvation" from SL, or Bismarck.

They probably won't believe our new "reality" until the women's hockey team actually plays its "home" playoff games in Fargo ... or more likely if the men's team has to hit the road too if they end up with a home berth. And even then, they'll still probably keep clinging to the moniker and waiting for some vain "salvation" from SL, or Bismarck.

Hey ScottM,

The men can't host NCAA tourney games, too small a venue. The WCHA tourney is not considered an "ncaa" event.

Hey ScottM,

The men can't host NCAA tourney games, too small a venue. The WCHA tourney is not considered an "ncaa" event.

What about hosting NCAA post-season football? Womens hockey? You'd throw them under the bus for a cartoon.

The sanctions are real, UND is under them, and they will be a negative impact to UND. First witness: Womens hockey.

Not accurate. They are not mutually exclusive.

They can be. The school can exist without an athletic department or nickname. The school and the athletic department can exist with a different nickname. There are people on this board that have stated they don't care what happens to the school or the athletic department as long as they can keep the nickname.

What about hosting NCAA post-season football? Womens hockey? You'd throw them under the bus for a cartoon.

The sanctions are real, UND is under them, and they will be a negative impact to UND. First witness: Womens hockey.

Easy there. Not my point. Part of the problem on these boards is mis/vague/half/bull-information. I made a remark about one specific thing. Quite jumping to conclusions and making enemies where none exist.

They can be. The school can exist without an athletic department or nickname. The school and the athletic department can exist with a different nickname. There are people on this board that have stated they don't care what happens to the school or the athletic department as long as they can keep the nickname.

That is all true. But to me (and me alone) the question becomes...are they still all the same without each other?