SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS tournament expansion

jimdahl

This is a terrible idea. 20 is a good number. If you watched any of the FCS playoffs, it was pretty easy to see that some of those teams really didn't deserve to be there. Make the regular season matter.

This year maybe, but two years ago did the last team in not deserve to be there?

• Upvote 4

This is a terrible idea. 20 is a good number. If you watched any of the FCS playoffs, it was pretty easy to see that some of those teams really didn't deserve to be there. Make the regular season matter.

I don't mind it. Just means more football to watch in the late fall.....................

only about 90 teams actually participate in playoff-eligible conferences (swac, ivy, pioneer do not) even among those schools, a large portion don't take it seriously. My thought has been the playing for a title is a privilege, not a right. going 4-4 in conference and beating 3 scrubs you paid to come to your home field shouldn't get you in the playoffs. For that matter, I think you should have to win your conference to win a national title. I'd like to see it go back to 12, or better yet, 8.

only about 90 teams actually participate in playoff-eligible conferences (swac, ivy, pioneer do not) even among those schools, a large portion don't take it seriously. My thought has been the playing for a title is a privilege, not a right. going 4-4 in conference and beating 3 scrubs you paid to come to your home field shouldn't get you in the playoffs. For that matter, I think you should have to win your conference to win a national title. I'd like to see it go back to 12, or better yet, 8.

The Pioneer will probably receive an auto bid with the expansion.

Yes, PFL should get an auto bid. To be honest, the PFL is much better than the NEC, who did get an autobid when the field was converted from 16 to 20. The Big South Conference was the other conference to get an autobid at that time. The PFL and NEC used to have their champions play each other for about 4 years and the PFL champion won 3 of the 4 games. Both conference teams, however, will continue to have tough times against the top FCS teams. But like has been mentioned earlier, the NCAA basketball tournament has #16 seeds that don't have much of a chance against the #1 seeds yet they still get a chance.