SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

Seems like the last several years NDSU has gotten everyone that comes out of Dickinson. Maybe its just me though.

I know Dickinson quite intimately...and it's always been a very pro-NDSU town, much to my chagrin. Dickinson-Trinity had been an exception as that school piped in some pretty good UND guys in the 1980s when it was Class A. That may have turned now, too. There is a strong but small pro-UND base in Dickinson among the varsity hockey and park and rec hockey communities, but, that's about it. Getting UND guys out of Dickinson is like drawing blood from a turnip. It's not like Bismark, Minot and Devils Lake.

If he did switch to Northern Illinois it would be a former UND coach getting him to drop his committment to UND. Obviously recruiting is a cutthroat business.

True, but Carey may have also played somewhat of a role in UND getting Adams. I have far less of a problem with a kid de-committing to go the FBS route, as opposed to de-committing to go to another FCS school.

• Upvote 1

I know Dickinson quite intimately...and it's always been a very pro-NDSU town, much to my chagrin. Dickinson-Trinity had been an exception as that school piped in some pretty good UND guys in the 1980s when it was Class A. That may have turned now, too. There is a strong but small pro-UND base in Dickinson among the varsity hockey and park and rec hockey communities, but, that's about it. Getting UND guys out of Dickinson is like drawing blood from a turnip. It's not like Bismark, Minot and Devils Lake.

UND has done well recruiting Dickinson prior to the transition. We lost a few during that time. I can assure you Kubik was leanig towards FU the entire time. They were the only school besides Mary to offer $$$, and it was an pretty easy decision on his part when they did. We have a very strong OL class right now and I'm sure that factored into trying to get him as a PWO instead of offering money.

According to Rivals Jameer Thurman committed to Indiana St. today. Was hoping we could add him to our nice list of Illiniois recruits.

Sounds like the distance from the Chicago area to GF was the big factor... (according to rivals/edgytim article)

"I called the coaches at Indiana State and gave them my verbal commitment," Thurman said. "It was a hard decision because North Dakota really gave me a lot to think about but in the end distance was the overwhelming factor in the end. My family and their support means everything and they can follow me in college."

"I talked to so many big schools and they just never offered me. They led me on for a long time and I could never get a straight answer from some schools. Both North Dakota and Indiana State were very upfront and honest with me which I learned to really appreciate."

According to Rivals Jameer Thurman committed to Indiana St. today. Was hoping we could add him to our nice list of Illiniois recruits.

As I have said all along, I knew that would be a tough one to get. When he didn't commit the following week after his visit, I figured he would be looking closer to home.

From a reliable source Stendler has de-committed from UND and committed to Northern Illinois. He was offered a full ride and obviously could not turn it down, especially from a team that just played in the Orange Bowl. Tough break for UND but shows some nice evaluation skills on Mannausau's part. The kid was rated lower than some of the other FCS def. lineman in WI but was the only one that got the late FBS offer.

From a reliable source Stendler has de-committed from UND and committed to Northern Illinois. He was offered a full ride and obviously could not turn it down, especially from a team that just played in the Orange Bowl. Tough break for UND but shows some nice evaluation skills on Mannausau's part. The kid was rated lower than some of the other FCS def. lineman in WI but was the only one that got the late FBS offer.

Too bad - wonder what we're going to bring in for DE this year.

Disappointing but not surprising - just hope we don't have a similar situation with Norberg or anyone else!

As I have said all along, I knew that would be a tough one to get. When he didn't commit the following week after his visit, I figured he would be looking closer to home.

I figure when I read your post a couple days ago on him that it was a longshot. Hopefully this final week goes well. Still some pretty talented high school players that haven't committed. Its been pretty quiet on the recruiting front for the last week.

UND has done well recruiting Dickinson prior to the transition. We lost a few during that time. I can assure you Kubik was leanig towards FU the entire time. They were the only school besides Mary to offer $$$, and it was an pretty easy decision on his part when they did. We have a very strong OL class right now and I'm sure that factored into trying to get him as a PWO instead of offering money.

I don't know the whole back story with this particular recruit, but in general, western ND must become Big Sky country. No excuses.

I don't know the whole back story with this particular recruit, but in general, western ND must become Big Sky country. No excuses.

Money has alot to do with it. If UND offers less than NDSU they are not getting the kid, especially with the success NDSU is having now.