SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers Lose

PCM

Although I enjoy cheering against the Gophers, recognize they've had a rough start and hope they don't make the tournament, I have watched college hockey for too many years to give anybody the ten-count during the second week in December.

Absolutely correct.

(but I was still giggling my ass off Saturday night) ???;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely. I don't understand why the fans that have already counted the Gophers out are appearing upset that the other fans don't see it the same way. I don't disagree with some of the arguments that have been made about the Gophers, but the bottom line - it is way too early to count someone out or count someone in. There are over three months left until the conference playoffs start for crying out loud.

Although I enjoy cheering against the Gophers, recognize they've had a rough start and hope they don't make the tournament, I have watched college hockey for too many years to give anybody the ten-count during the second week in December.

8 loses, and I expect more in the second half. They will be lucky to finish in the top 5 and gain a home series. I maybe around for some beer bets too...

Even being swept by Duluth is looking worse for the Gophers since Duluth has been losing lately. Now that I stated that, watch Duluth come in and play like madmen next week.

While I'll agree that the Dogs have played poorly over their last 4 WCHA conference games...they are 5-1-1 in their last 7 overall, so to say they've been losing lately is a bit of a stretch. This won't be a make-or-break weekend for the Dogs, but seeing as how they play only one game (vs. HC Riga, Latvia) the rest of this year, it will affect the cheerfulness of the holidays and the amount of positive momentum carried into the second half of the season. We still have not played Denver, CC, or Wisco yet this year...so some tough tests lie ahead for the Dogs. We may find out if this team is for real or not this weekend, but a sweep by the Sioux would likely drop the Dogs to 4th (Wisco has MSU-M coming to town...sweep) and ruin the hot start put together by this team. I'm hoping to see a Dogs team this weekend that plays hard for 120 minutes, and works hard to protect the lead they established early in the season, which now seems to be slipping slowly away. While I can still feel good that the Dogs are in second place, the Sioux do have 4 games in-hand, and are only 4 points behind. A gap that could easily close to nothing by the end of this weekend. The first few shifts Friday night will be the key. If the Dogs come out as flat as they did against Tech Friday night...it's going to be a long weekend!

I thought the gophers would be on a 9 game winning streak coming in to the Finals of their Christmas tourney.

Guess I was wrong. DARN ;)

Their schedule gets very tough after the UNH game, oh they have to beat Princeton ??? I means really tough.

They better start worrying, after their loss to AA, there are no guarantees

I forgot to mention Vanek's attitude. Speculation on my part, but it looks like the kid is anxious to go to the pros & his half-assed, passionless play reflect that. It only takes 1 sourpuss in the lockerroom to affect other players' performances. I stand by PMart being a big loss in that the left-behinds (remaining D) aren't as good as the ones in '02. It would be extremely unlikely that a team could win 3 consecutive NCs with average-at-best goaltending. Complacency? I think this is a small factor in their situation. IMO, I think it would be tough to get guys psyched 3 years in a row. If you take away The Gophers' last 2 championships & give them to other teams, they might be dominating, very hungry & more focused now but that's just how I see it. Also, they needed OT 2 years ago & a diving PMart in the semis last year against Michigan--I can't imagine such luck 3 years in a row...

I'll buy you a 6-pack beer of your choice if I'm wrong ;)

Didn't UND's players basically tell Chris Fournier to "get lost", prior to last season? I gues if Vanek is a problem, couldn't the other memebers of the team do/say something about it? I will admit I was very surprised by Vanek's lack of production in November at the Ralph, but if he is such a "problem", why don't his teamates get on his case? If I was Grant P., I'd take him out and kick his a$$ for being a loafer... ???

From my perspective, Vanek is one of the few bright spots for the Gophers this season. He sat out the third period of Saturday's game at UAA with a leg injury. In that period, Minnesota gave up four goals and scored none.

From my perspective, Vanek is one of the few bright spots for the Gophers this season. He sat out the third period of Saturday's game at UAA with a leg injury. In that period, Minnesota gave up four goals and scored none.

Apparently Atherton was out too.

Vanek disappearing during the UND series seems to have been more the exception than the rule. As mentioned, credit Prpich.

Since going to a 28-game schedule in the 1997-1998 season, the lowest league champion's point total was 42 (UND in 2001).

As of right now, Minnesota can at most tally 41 points.

In that same time frame, it's taken at least 26 points to get home ice in the first round (Minnesota in 1999).

If Minnesota were to play 0.500 hockey for the rest of the WCHA season (and they're only playing 0.375 now) they'd have 25 points.

People think late-season losses hurt worse.

No, a loss is a loss, they all hurt, when it comes to league play.

Alternatively, never count them out until their season is confirmed to be over.

I'll echo what jk, mksioux and others have said. I won't count out UMN until they've been eliminated. They do have a ton of talent (as much as it pains me to say that), so even if they do miss out on home ice in the WCHA playoffs, which I personally feel to be unlikely, they will likely play the #4 of #5 WCHA team on the road. They will likely have more talent than this team, so a best of three first round win is very much not out of the question. And if they do advance to the Final Five, guess what? They play at home! While it won't be earned and it will be a crock of crap for anyone that has to play them, it's a fact. And if ever there will be a team that wins the WCHA tourney from the play in game bracket, it will be the yellow vermin, because they will be playing at home. And this year especially, since they do have a ton of talent, albeit talent that is probably not putting forth the necessary effort on a consistent basis at this point.

From what PCM told me, Founier was playing for mcDonald's Big Macs and not the Sioux so he was asked to leave.

As for Vanek, you don't cut your number one playmaker even if he is on a slump. Unfortunately, the answer the pros have doesn't work in the NCAA. That being, trade. Vanek will not leave the Gophers until the end of the season, and then he might surprise everyone by staying one more year.

have you ever got a quote right yet?

I'll echo what jk, mksioux and others have said. I won't count out UMN until they've been eliminated. They do have a ton of talent (as much as it pains me to say that), so even if they do miss out on home ice in the WCHA playoffs, which I personally feel to be unlikely, they will likely play the #4 of #5 WCHA team on the road. They will likely have more talent than this team, so a best of three first round win is very much not out of the question. And if they do advance to the Final Five, guess what? They play at home! While it won't be earned and it will be a crock of crap for anyone that has to play them, it's a fact. And if ever there will be a team that wins the WCHA tourney from the play in game bracket, it will be the yellow vermin, because they will be playing at home. And this year especially, since they do have a ton of talent, albeit talent that is probably not putting forth the necessary effort on a consistent basis at this point.

I realize that the X is a beautiful facility, but why did the Final Five quit rotating with Wisconsin? Or am I just completely off my rocker in thinking that the Final Five was played in Milwaukee every other year? Keep in mind it's been at Minny since before the X was built. You can't tell me the Target Center was more deserving than the Bradley Center. The only thing I can think of is that Minny is just a little bit more centrally located. And the fact that Minny thinks they invented the game and the WCHA would bend over backwards for them. ???

Sorry PCM. I didn't mean to misrepresent you.

Edit: I have deleted the misquote and editted this quote.

I apologize to everyone, especially PCM for my miquoting him. PCM's a valuable asset to this board and I abused his generosity and insight. I never meant to do that, but I did. I think I have become too familiar with many of the posters of this board when I should not have. I'll be certain to refrain from quoting anyone from now on whether or not I actually have the quote right or I am just paraphrasing. Better not to quote at all than risk closing off a valuable asset.

8 loses, and I expect more in the second half. They will be lucky to finish in the top 5 and gain a home series. I maybe around for some beer bets too...

Well, it's you, me & only a couple others up against the entire Sioux Nation in our belief that the Gophers absolutely won't win an NC this year. At least we can hang our hats on the idea that we're independent thinkers ???

Well, it's you, me & only a couple others up against the entire Sioux Nation in our belief that the Gophers absolutely won't win an NC this year. At least we can hang our hats on the idea that we're independent thinkers ???

I never said they'd win the NC. But I didn't think they were good enough the last two years either.

Your right Brother, the free thinkers. I honestly don't care if I am wrong. What at the Gopher Fans going to do take me to task if I am wrong. Hardly...

Let me put it in Bold print. THE GOPHERS WILL NOT THREE PEAT...

What is so hard about that. THEY WILL BE HARD PRESSED TO MAKE THE NCAA TOURNEY... Oh yeah and the Bison and Packers still suck...

Your right Brother, the free thinkers. I honestly don't care if I am wrong. What at the Gopher Fans going to do take me to task if I am wrong. Hardly...

Let me put it in Bold print. THE GOPHERS WILL NOT THREE PEAT...

What is so hard about that. THEY WILL BE HARD PRESSED TO MAKE THE NCAA TOURNEY... Oh yeah and the Bison and Packers still suck...

Fight the power, brother Goon. We may be ridiculed now but glory will be ours! ???

Fight the power, brother Goon. We may be ridiculed now but glory will be ours! ???

Ah who the hell cares. I will stand by my statement if they lose but the odds are in my favor. Like one of my brothers buddies said once before, its a web page. Who cares what other fans say. Life still goes on and the sun still comes up in the morning, well maybe except for here.

THE GOLDEN GOPHERS ARE NOT GOING TO THREE PEAT THIS SEASON.

Its not like some of the other Sioux nation brothers and sisters aren't thinking it, they just do want to say it. Oh well we said it for them. Oh if I have to eat crow I will take it with Famous Daves BBQ sauce...

Ah who the hell cares. I will stand by my statement if they lose but the odds are in my favor. Like one of my brothers buddies said once before, its a web page. Who cares what other fans say. Life still goes on and the sun still comes up in the morning, well maybe except for here.

THE GOLDEN GOPHERS ARE NOT GOING TO THREE PEAT THIS SEASON.

Its not like some of the other Sioux nation brothers and sisters aren't thinking it, they just do want to say it. Oh well we said it for them. Oh if I have to eat crow I will take it with Famous Daves BBQ sauce...

Famous Dave's really hot bBQ sauce is GOOOOOOOOD

I realize that the X is a beautiful facility, but why did the Final Five quit rotating with Wisconsin? Keep in mind it's been at Minny since before the X was built. You can't tell me the Target Center was more deserving than the Bradley Center. The only thing I can think of is that Minny is just a little bit more centrally located. And the fact that Minny thinks they invented the game and the WCHA would bend over backwards for them. ???

Because I like my seat at the X. 1/2 way up the lower bowl, on the red line aisle. Used to sit right across the aisle from Mike Sertich, but he's moved down a bit in recent years.