SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers Lose

PCM

I realize that the X is a beautiful facility, but why did the Final Five quit rotating with Wisconsin? Or am I just completely off my rocker in thinking that the Final Five was played in Milwaukee every other year? Keep in mind it's been at Minny since before the X was built. You can't tell me the Target Center was more deserving than the Bradley Center. The only thing I can think of is that Minny is just a little bit more centrally located. And the fact that Minny thinks they invented the game and the WCHA would bend over backwards for them. ???

Unless it really is a vast Gopher conspiracy, I'd guess the X just flat out guarenteed a lot more money than the Bradley Center could offer due to it's being about as central location as one can find for the WCHA.

The game three years ago between UND/SCSU would have been in front of 5000 had the game been in Madison.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game three years ago between UND/SCSU would have been in front of 5000 had the game been in Madison.

That was a great game!! I thoroughly enjoyed cheering for the Sioux...(since UMD didn't show up). Too bad the overtime went the wrong way. Great comeback for the Sioux, down 5-2 with only about 1/2 the third period remaining! Perfectly executed draw play when Roche (I believe) tied the game. What a rocket that was!

Unless it really is a vast Gopher conspiracy, I'd guess the X just flat out guarenteed a lot more money than the Bradley Center could offer due to it's being about as central location as one can find for the WCHA.

It is a money issue, and the X is a great hockey building. Am I right that the Final Five use to be rotated? I know for a fact it was at the Target Center for a few years in a row right before the X opened.

thin I know for a fact it was at the Target Center for a few years in a row right before the X opened.

The WCHA signed a contract with the X-Cel energy center for 5 years after the first year in the X. So what we are looking at is what about three years left if I am not mistaken. I really don't see it moving anytime soon because it was drawn a lot of people. It was somewhere between 60,000-77,000 the last three years.

Despite the fact that I would love to see the WCHA Final Five in Grand FOrks and the Frozen Four at the X eventually, I'm ok with the X as the site for the final five. Like I allueded too, I'd love to have the frozen four a little more midest centered. However, it is doubtful to make it all the way over here. Closest I could imagine it being is Detroit's arena there.

One thing was learned during the WCHA's tenure in Minneapolis: The Target Center sucks for hockey. Horrible, putrid, rotten.....

The Wild are very involved in amateur hockey in MN and the region, I think it's actually considered part of their mission (Mission? ???), so I suspect they will continue to offer the best deal to the WCHA for the Final Five as long as Neagle owns the team.

Going to the Target Center was great!! So many people must have dropped out of the season tickets, our priority moved us up to center red line seats!! ???

The Frozen Four was in the X, two years ago. I can't remember who won it that year.

I sat in the The St. Paul Club section for that game! Those are not bad seats either!!

Question:

I do not know much about polling and stuff, but if there is a strength of schedule index or something, wouldn't the Gophers getting better make UND look better too? I mean, if they went the way of Notre Dame did in football, I would think it would hurt UND, whereas if they turned on the jets (and we still swept them in January), that has to help UND.

Question:

I do not know much about polling and stuff, but if there is a strength of schedule index or something, wouldn't the Gophers getting better make UND look better too? I mean, if they went the way of Notre Dame did in football, I would think it would hurt UND, whereas if they turned on the jets (and we still swept them in January), that has to help UND.

I don't think that a team getting better after you played them should have anything to do with it. If they were #1 when you played them...you should get credit for beating a #1 team...even if they fall off the map after losing to you. My $0.02