SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers Lose

PCM

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every loss by the Gophers brings them that much closer to being eliminated from the playoffs. I would expect this loss might sting more than most since Alaska isn't a highly ranked team. Even being swept by Duluth is looking worse for the Gophers since Duluth has been losing lately. Now that I stated that, watch Duluth come in and play like madmen next week.

Every loss by the Gophers brings them that much closer to being eliminated from the playoffs. I would expect this loss might sting more than most since Alaska isn't a highly ranked team. Even being swept by Duluth is looking worse for the Gophers since Duluth has been losing lately. Now that I stated that, watch Duluth come in and play like madmen next week.

It seems to me that I recall a time when UMD was as bad as the Gophers seem to be this year and when they came to the Ralph, they seemed like at any moment, they'd whoop us.

The Gophers being eliminated would stun us. Probably put Greyeagle and sagard seeking professional help.

I'd be stunned personally. How could a team aas good as the Gophers were the past two seasons go to hell without losing a lot of people? Say what you want, but you can't pin all of this on Briggs and JJ. I don't think you can even pin it on the freshmen in general.

I made a post like this on USCHO. But that place is not the best place I've ever been to message board wise. Before I went there, I never knew how vicious people flamed other people. And sometimes it's just flaming for the sake of flaming. What a group.

This loss hurt, but the Gophers will make the NCAAs in a similar fashion as SCSU last year. Strength of schedule. They have played themselves out of any chance at the McNaughton and are close to being shut out of a realistic chance at the Broadmoor by missing finishing top three.

Assuming they make the tourney, this would likely send them out East as a #3 or #4 seed. Not a good night for me.

Maybe the youth on the team is finally getting comfortable with the Friday win. Losing to AA on Saturday shows that they are realy not working hard enough to get back into it. I realize you can't win them all, and that MAYBE AA will one day win more than 3 or 4 league games, but this was a must win series for UM. They really needed the confidence boost that a sweep would give them.

Not being on the same page must be frustrating for all of them, but whatever the case props to the Seawolves for dumping the Goofs.

A huge surprise...but a pleasant one. :silly:

I'm still waiting for certain fans (both Gopher & Sioux) to come on & say: "The Gophs are still a great team", "They'll be a force come playoff time", "This was just a minor setback & it's still early", "No way should we underestimate them", "They've got the depth to go all the way", "Lucia will get them where they need to be"...blah blah blah blah blah..How many more losses to teams like UAA do we have to see before people realize that they ain't taking home an NC this year? Goon, I & a few others here are the only ones who seem to think along these lines. My other early-season prediction was that Duluth would surprise some early in the season but would flatline in the 2nd half due to lack of depth.

They ARE a good team...and they DO have the depth to go all the way. Their problem then?

They aren't playing with any sort of drive. Giving up leads against sh** teams (sorry) and after dominating the night before shows lack of work ethic and discipline.

We all know, and have heard repeatedly that they have skill and are coached well, but as it looks...

They're not doing it, and that's not going to make their road any easier...

They ARE a good team...and they DO have the depth to go all the way.  Their problem then?

Championship-caliber teams don't give up 4-2 leads to teams like UAA, much less good teams. Good teams win when they're supposed to & don't leave their fans second-guessing before the midpoint of the season. Just having talented players doesn't make a team good unless they can win--& the Gophers aren't winning. I agree with your other points that a lack of drive, not hungry, passionless, whatever you call it, will spell them to a 4th-place finish at best this year.

I made a post like this on USCHO. But that place is not the best place I've ever been to message board wise. Before I went there, I never knew how vicious people flamed other people. And sometimes it's just flaming for the sake of flaming. What a group.

I tried to warn you :silly: There are a few civil people there with good insights but most of them are complete jacka$$es who specialize in name-calling & other petty crap. It's like one big 24/7 shouting match.

This loss hurt, but the Gophers will make the NCAAs in a similar fashion as SCSU last year. Strength of schedule. They have played themselves out of any chance at the McNaughton and are close to being shut out of a realistic chance at the Broadmoor by missing finishing top three.

Assuming they make the tourney, this would likely send them out East as a #3 or #4 seed. Not a good night for me.

Actually, my point on my last post is that their SOS has to be dropping big time. Duluth isn't the team they were earlier. For that matter I believe either Mich or Mich State will fall pretty low. Wisco will help boost them unless they start losing like some other fast starting WCHA teams.

Losing to bad/low ranked teams is going to hurt the SOS.

How many more losses to teams like UAA do we have to see before people realize that they ain't taking home an NC this year? Goon, I & a few others here are the only ones who seem to think along these lines. My other early-season prediction was that Duluth would surprise some early in the season but would flatline in the 2nd half due to lack of depth.

I will go on record and make a few predictions. 1st that UofM is not winning it a third straight time this season. 2nd that UMD's flat line starts this weekend.

Even though it is still early I agree that the Gophers will likely make the tourney this year and if they aren't going to be a #1 seed, which doesn't seem likely, the best avenue will likely be out East as a #3 or #4 seed.

That way they can avoid the yearly Michigan regional and the West Regional being held on CC's rink this year.

If MN is playing well at the end of this season just like last season and can avoid the two Western Regionals they could have a good shot at getting back to the Frozen Four.

That being said, I don't really care for the Gophers, hope they continue to lose games and don't make the tournament AND I hope they fire Lucia and rehire Wooger! :silly:

So everyone that thinks the Gophers will make the tourney think that they are going to win all of their big games? I don't think that is going to happen. Unless every team plays dead for them, there is no way that the Gophers will earn a spot fairly. I will leave open the chance of them being selected for financial purposes. :silly:

Professional help? Probably, but this has nothing to do with Gopher hockey. :silly: Liquor? Yes. :(

Pissing away these two points is going to really hurt come March. Prior to this weekend I thought a top three WCHA was still attainable, now I'm not so sure barring an incredible run. From the sounds of it MN was completely outworked last night and the results show. Dedicated teams do not give up two goal leads to bad teams. It's a Jekyll & Hyde season, one doesn't know if they will come out smoking or be out smoking. This weekend we saw both.

Pissing away these two points is going to really hurt come March. Prior to this weekend I thought a top three WCHA was still attainable, now I'm not so sure barring an incredible run. From the sounds of it MN was completely outworked last night and the results show. Dedicated teams do not give up two goal leads to bad teams. It's a Jekyll & Hyde season, one doesn't know if they will come out smoking or be out smoking. This weekend we saw both.

Nice to see that you're not fooling yourself re: this year's Gophers. Some people confuse a talented group of players with automatically being a good team & this isn't the case. Having talent doesn't necessarily make a team good, winning does.