SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers Lose

PCM

No one can deny that they've had their share of winning... 2 in a row hasn't been done in 30 years. Team didn't lose a lot of talent in the offseason, but they did lose some. That is what scares opponents. They know how to win, and they have the tools to do it.

It's a Jekyll & Hyde season, one doesn't know if they will come out smoking or be out smoking.

I agree. They have the tools, but as everyone knows: if you don't put the puzzle together all you have is a bunch of pieces.

I agree also that this is not their year. Will I come out and say it? No, not yet, because who knows what crazy things can happen in the WCHA. It's when teams/players/fans/media counts them out that they are at their most dangerous.

In my opinion though flame on Gophers...flame on

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see that you're not fooling yourself re: this year's Gophers. Some people confuse a talented group of players with automatically being a good team & this isn't the case. Having talent doesn't necessarily make a team good, winning does.

I think it's too early to label the Gophers as the NY Rangers of the NCAA.

This was a huge loss like Greyeagle said, their conference schedule is tough with games at CC , UMD, Denver and playing UND at home. They most likely will split all of those going 4-4 if not worse, then they still play at MSU-M on the road and tough Wisconsin and SCSU teams at home....I know top three is out of the question and I wouldn't bet on them finishing top 5....I would put them in either the 6 or 7th spot, behind UND, SCSU,UMD,CC and Wisconsin....

This was a huge loss like Greyeagle said, their conference schedule is tough with games at CC , UMD, Denver and playing UND at home. They most likely will split all of those going 4-4 if not worse, then they still play at MSU-M on the road and tough Wisconsin and SCSU teams at home....I know top three is out of the question and I wouldn't bet on them finishing top 5....I would put them in either the 6 or 7th spot, behind UND, SCSU,UMD,CC and Wisconsin....

A man of reason who sees the big picture :silly:

A man of reason who sees the big picture :(

So back to the oppinion of the Phoenix and myself in our saying that Minnesota is not as good as everyone wants to say they are, many on the Fighting Sioux Sports web page have been dancing around this all fall. I would be very surprise if they actually make the playoffs. I am sure the WCHA is freaking out right now worrying that the Gophers aren't going to make the Final Five. Oh the humanity... :silly:

I just wanted to make sure you are not alone with writing off the Gophers. I have no idea why the majority of Sioux fans here think that the Gophers are so special. :silly:

I think most people look at a team's roster & recent history & automatically assume they're great; forgetting to take into account a team's focus, chemistry, motivation & the fact that college players are notorious for being inconsistent. I also think many Sioux fans don't want to go on record & publicly state that the Gophers aren't very good because they don't want to eat crow if they turn out to be wrong. I thought at the beginning of the year that a combination of suspect goaltending, loss of PMart & complacency after winning 2 in a row would be too great to overcome. They may get hot in the WCHA but they won't win another championship this year. Count on it...

I thought at the beginning of the year that a combination of suspect goaltending, loss of PMart & complacency after winning 2 in a row would be too great to overcome. They may get hot in the WCHA but they won't win another championship this year. Count on it...

I'm not trying to pick on you SFiP but I do want to point this out.

1. They won it after losing guys like Pohl and Leopold, so personally I don't see why they couldn't rebound from losing PMart.

2. They didn't get complacent after winning one, so why should they after winning 2? They bring back most of the same guys and solid leadership.

3. They won a championship with a suspect goaltender at the time, and an untested one the second time around.

I for one will admit that I thought they would play better than they have so far this year.

Whether it is compacency, or whether there is a defensive deficiency I don't know. But this MN team, while dangerous, doesn't appear to be the great team I thought they would be this year. At least not so far and frankly it's gotten to the point where I think I can just say there's more than just an appearance, but it's a reality. When MN put together their winning streak I wasn't sold on them being "back" because I want to see consistency out of any team before calling them good or bad. We've seen the Sioux a couple of years ago pull out good wins at the GLI that didn't in the end mean much. I said as much to jk earlier this week.

Now the gophers go to AA where frankly they needed and should have swept and peed down their legs on Friday night against a 3 legged dog with another bad wheel. That reminds me an awful lot of Sioux teams the past couple of years that ccould be dangerous but not consistent.

There's still time for MN to pull it together. And yes, I don't like to have my own predictions thrown in my face so I'm not going to make any bold ones. But at this point I don't feel that MN has a team that will be able to pull it all together for a big run at the end of the year. I do think they'll make the NCAA's.

I think most people look at a team's roster & recent history & automatically assume they're great; forgetting to take into account a team's focus, chemistry, motivation & the fact that college players are notorious for being inconsistent. I also think many Sioux fans don't want to go on record & publicly state that the Gophers aren't very good because they don't want to eat crow if they turn out to be wrong. I thought at the beginning of the year that a combination of suspect goaltending, loss of PMart & complacency after winning 2 in a row would be too great to overcome. They may get hot in the WCHA but they won't win another championship this year. Count on it...

Lets just say ditto in what you said. Here is why I think UofM isn't going to win it all again. First is attitude, no team the Gophers are going to play this season is going roll over and say oh your the mighty Gophers and your too good for us. Teams are going to try and lay some smack on the Gophers in the mouth, they just lost to UAA, yikes I wouldn't want to be in that locker room on Monday.

If you think I am full of it just review the tape of the Sioux and Gophers series back in November UND checked the living tar out of the Pretty Boy Vanek Line. Vanek was so made by the end of the series that he was banging his stick on the ice. Tom meet Mike...

Lastly UofM's Defense and Goaltending has not played very well. Losing P-Mart was huge, the kid was a stud on the powerplay, who is going to take his place Taylor, Atherton, Harrington, Stevens not even close. I feel one of the Gophers best Defensemen is sitting in the stands week after week and that Defensemen is Kennedy.

When I watch the Goofers on MSC I want to jump through the television and strangle Wooger when he cuts down UND's goaltending. Hey Doug look are your teams goaltending they suck.

Actually I am enjoying the Gophers season so far this year.

1. They won it after losing guys like Pohl and Leopold, so personally I don't see why they couldn't rebound from losing PMart.

2. They didn't get complacent after winning one, so why should they after winning 2? They bring back most of the same guys and solid leadership.

3. They won a championship with a suspect goaltender at the time, and an untested one the second time around.

I for one will admit that I thought they would play better than they have so far this year.

Whether it is compacency, or whether there is a defensive deficiency I don't know. But this MN team, while dangerous, doesn't appear to be the great team I thought they would be this year. At least not so far and frankly it's gotten to the point where I think I can just say there's more than just an appearance, but it's a reality. When MN put together their winning streak I wasn't sold on them being "back" because I want to see consistency out of any team before calling them good or bad. We've seen the Sioux a couple of years ago pull out good wins at the GLI that didn't in the end mean much. I said as much to jk earlier this week.

Now the gophers go to AA where frankly they needed and should have swept and peed down their legs on Friday night against a 3 legged dog with another bad wheel. That reminds me an awful lot of Sioux teams the past couple of years that ccould be dangerous but not consistent.

There's still time for MN to pull it together. And yes, I don't like to have my own predictions thrown in my face so I'm not going to make any bold ones. But at this point I don't feel that MN has a team that will be able to pull it all together for a big run at the end of the year. I do think they'll make the NCAA's.

Dagies,

I am not saying UofM is a S#!tty but I doubt they are going to win it all this season. Besides who cares if your wrong, which you probably won't be. Also, who cares what some Goofer fan thinks about you. We will stick up for you if your wrong. ;);):(:D:):p:0???

No offense, I respect your opinion ???:D

I forgot to mention Vanek's attitude. Speculation on my part, but it looks like the kid is anxious to go to the pros & his half-assed, passionless play reflect that. It only takes 1 sourpuss in the lockerroom to affect other players' performances. I stand by PMart being a big loss in that the left-behinds (remaining D) aren't as good as the ones in '02. It would be extremely unlikely that a team could win 3 consecutive NCs with average-at-best goaltending. Complacency? I think this is a small factor in their situation. IMO, I think it would be tough to get guys psyched 3 years in a row. If you take away The Gophers' last 2 championships & give them to other teams, they might be dominating, very hungry & more focused now but that's just how I see it. Also, they needed OT 2 years ago & a diving PMart in the semis last year against Michigan--I can't imagine such luck 3 years in a row...

I'll buy you a 6-pack beer of your choice if I'm wrong ;)

SFIP,

Actually you said that the Gophers no doubt were the team to beat, and that was after they lost Paul Martin.  Unless you changed your mind later, that was your feeling at the beginning of the year.

You're right, I changed my mind the weekend after their tourney in Omaha. I thought at the beginning they would be an unstoppable machine but I wasn't impressed after their lackluster first 2 weekends. I think doubt started to set in at that point but many fans of both schools were unwilling to accept that maybe they weren't as good as believed. I also thought during the 1st half of last year that the Sioux would dominate but I was wrong in that respect. Good observation, I admire your photographic memory. ???

So how will the WCHA try to get the goofs into the Final Five this year? Top three is certainly out and now the top 5 is in question. Boy would I love for them to go on the road for the first round.

Why is it that I see the goofers finishing out of the top five in the WCHA and yet still going to the NCAAs? Of course they don't have a home NCAA playoff game this year so hopefully the NCAA will realize that the Goofers don't have the only fans that go to games. In fact, their fans won't even go and watch the other games during the regionals that are at their own arena.

I am not so certain that all the Sioux fans who are holding out for the Gophers to return in force are rooting for that to happen. I for one do not root for the Gophers. I just seem to remember last year when they stunk pretty darn good up until January. Then, almost over night, they clicked and took over.

So, it could be a defense mechanism to protect ourselves from disappointment should UND tank and Minny turn on the jets.

I am not so certain that all the Sioux fans who are holding out for the Gophers to return in force are rooting for that to happen. I for one do not root for the Gophers. I just seem to remember last year when they stunk pretty darn good up until January. Then, almost over night, they clicked and took over.

So, it could be a defense mechanism to protect ourselves from disappointment should UND tank and Minny turn on the jets.

I don't think you have to worry about the Sioux folding this year. They look to me to have legitimate depth this year and have already shown the goaltending is in order.

So many other posts questioning the Gophers heart, discipline, and many other intangables. There are probably a dozen players on the team that have shown they have what it takes over the last two seasons, and they will end up being a NCAA team. I'd back that up with beer bets payable at the X to anyone who wants some of that action. I'll be there with or without the Gophs. ???

The Gophs are currently ranked 13th-16th in the Krach/RPI/PWR shown on this websight. They will need to continue improving, but I see no reason to expect them to not improve.

As for the Gophers making a serious NCAA tourney run, it isn't that likely. If they get sent east and avoid the BC bracket, I could see them sneaking into Boston, but that is about the most they can achieve. Which wouldn't be bad.

The primary difference is there is no great two-way defensemen on this team. Ballard is certainly very good, but his is not as big and doesn't seem to have the same tenacity as Leo or Martin without the puck.

I came to terms with the AA loss fairly quickly (the Gophs won't be the only ones to lose up there) and I'll pull a Tice saying. "If you were going to offer me 7-8-1 when we were sitting at 2-7-1, I'd take it every time."

I don't know whether it's a defense mechanism or something else, but I won't be calling MN's season over until they are eliminated from title contention. I fully recognize that people's claims of MN's demise appear to be reasonable and rational, but I have seen enough in the last two years to wait until the Spring.

Just for you guys who expect it out of at least ONE Gopher fan...they will be there come the end of the season! :D

This weekend's loss did hurt, and it hurt bad, but I will dissagrre with all the bashing going on about them not finishing in the top 5 of the WCHA. The JBSU swoon is starting and while I believe UND will win the regular season, by no means can you count out the Gophers yet. Come January and they drop 3 games they shouldn't, I'd agree the ship has capsized, but I still have faith and will just for the heck of it be the voice of dissention here, if for no other reason then to:

a) give you guys someone to shake your heads at

b) prove to be a HUGE prognosticator if I am right! :(

That said, they had better put the best streak together since the dawn of Gopher hockey if they expect to make the NCAA's... ;)

As for Vanek's attitude, to some degree I agree he is almost not to worried about this season if he has decided to go pro next year (which may bite him). He has suddenly gotten a little hacky... ???

WPoS

P.S. yes we seem to have issues at UAA, I went up there lfor ast year's series and we almost dropped one up there then too, for some reason they seem to have our number up there...maybe it is the lack of REAL sunlight this time of year...

I don't know whether it's a defense mechanism or something else, but I won't be calling MN's season over until they are eliminated from title contention. I fully recognize that people's claims of MN's demise appear to be reasonable and rational, but I have seen enough in the last two years to wait until the Spring.

I agree completely. I don't understand why the fans that have already counted the Gophers out are appearing upset that the other fans don't see it the same way. I don't disagree with some of the arguments that have been made about the Gophers, but the bottom line - it is way too early to count someone out or count someone in. There are over three months left until the conference playoffs start for crying out loud.

Although I enjoy cheering against the Gophers, recognize they've had a rough start and hope they don't make the tournament, I have watched college hockey for too many years to give anybody the ten-count during the second week in December.

I won't count the Gophers out until they are mathematically eliminated and lose in the Final 5. If they make the NCAA's that means they're probably on a nice run and could continue it into the playoffs. Plus, in the NCAA's you can't count anyone out...except for the CHA and Atlantic auto-bids. ???