SiouxSports.com Forum

Cong. on the win.....

lionfan03

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Said:Snip---------The point was that we were given the finger numerous times, which was meant tounge and cheek.  I can live with that.  The only thing that really got me was the spitting and the racial and drug test comments.

I was at the game and I thought the crowd was tame for a sporting event. Maybe you should attend a hockey game at the Ralph, thats when you are going to hear some vile comments. During the player introductions the students chant who he he sucks S#!T after each opposing player is announced. Heck the band doesn't even drown them out anymore.

Heck I can do you one better, even more flithy than that is our natural WCHA hockey rivals at SCSU: SCSU's students AKA the Dog Pound are way more filthy/vile than anything you will hear at the Ralph or at the AL. They might be the worst in the league.

History will tell you that this kind of stuff happens all of the time, its part of sports in the Uppermidwest. I have been to a few stadiums in the NCC and it seems to be the norm. I have been told by former basketball players that the USD fans are down right in your face if your playing them in Basketball.

Personally I have been to five straight WCHA Final Fives and this kind of stuff happens at every event. Is some of this stuff classless and out of hand? Probably. However, maybe some people need to not be so thin skined, there are just words.

UND is a state school in North Dakota not an ivy league school, oh yeah the althletic director at Yale threatened our radio guy at a hockey game that was marred by a huge fight, last season. There goes that theory.

Also, I suggest maybe you should go attend a game at Fenway Park in Boston, I guarentee you will hear way more filth, bad, vile language than you heard in the AL.

Finally, If it happens to be in the paper, its fair game and your going to see a sign about it, or your players are going to hear about it. The players flunking the drug test were fair game. You should have read the signs after fromer UofM coach Doug Woog was caught giving players illegal payments to a player in a stocking cap under a desk.

While were are on the subject of of the game and sportsmanship, how about your team, you guys missed the NATIONAL ANTHEM. Whats up with that.

And today finally I had the chance to talk to a few ladies from Alabama that were disgusted that the NCAA would have the gall to send their supperior team to North Dakota to play the game. They went on and on about how their team Univeristy of North Alabama was the better team and blah, blah, blah... All I could say was whatever... All I know is the Sioux won the game, the Lions are a hell of a team and my team is going to hopefully be the NCAA Division II football champ for a second time in two years. To top that all off my team is going to beat the UMD bulldogs in football. Life is good...

412.2.1. Want don't you go look for Dru

by psychodork12, 12/5/03 23:33 ET

Re: Mooneyham & Best to miss game by revjj, 12/5/03

CLASSLESS?

This is a post off of the UNA message board, it was posted by a UNA fan in response to a Sioux fan's rant about UNA football, Im assuming this jerk meant "why" dont you go look for Dru...

This is by far the most classless thing I have ever seen, in fact classless doesnt even come close to describing it. Talk about crossing the line, this is not a topic to be thrown around in jest.

*Keep the hope alive for her safe return, and we will continue to pray and search for her.

If the initial claims here are true you have my apologies for that unacceptable behavior.

However, regarding the location of the game:

Is it possible that the site committee knew, or got wind, of the positive drug test results Saturday night and that also helped to sway their thoughts toward putting the game in Grand Forks?

Put yourself in their position:

Just about all criteria are even.

One team is undefeated.

The other team has a marginally higher power rating.

Then you find out one team has "off field" issues regarding drug testing ....

I couldn't agree more and I suspect there will be a lot of that type of whining next week on this board. We'll see...

As for the TimeDaily article: You're delusional if you don't think the Alerus Center helped UND win. I am not taking anything away from your team. They played spectacularly. However, Its ridiculous to imply that the score would have been the same if it was played in Florence. The simple fact is, UNA got screwed by the NCAA. We got penalized three reasons: being undefeated, beating the #1 team in the nation, and beating a Division 1AA conference champion. Keep in mind, you were the ones with a loss...not us. How you can possibly justify why UND had homefield advantage is complete lunacy to me. The strength of schedule argument is laughable. The NCAA gave you the game because they would have caught flack for the seeming injustice of UNA being able to host all their playoff games. It happened in the early 90s when we won so many games there. It's not our fault that we host the championship game. Too bad we got screwed because of it.

You used your homefield advantage to your advantage this weekend...as you should have. Congrats on the win and I hope you all have a safe trip to Florence.

C'mon. Are you not listening to what we are saying? Are you not listening to the NCAA? Granted, I am not in your position, I am not the one who feels slighted by the NCAA's decision, but just back up and look at it this way.

UNA won 13 games. 10, 10, 10!!!, of those teams had losing records!!! That means less than 25 percent of your opponents had a winning record. UND played 11 games, lost to a PLAYOFF team, EARLY in the year, on the ROAD, and 5 of the teams we beat had winning records. In case you need me to do the math, that is between 40 and 50 % of UND's opponets were winners, compared to < 25% of UNA's. So quit with the "NCAA is trying to punish us for being so GOOD" crap and just accept the fact that you got beat by a better team.

Granted, I am not in your position, I am not the one who feels slighted by the NCAA's decision, but just back up and look at it this way. 

UNA won 13 games.  10, 10, 10!!!, of those teams had losing records!!!  That means less than 25 percent of your opponents had a winning record.  UND played 11 games, lost to a PLAYOFF team, EARLY in the year, on the ROAD, and 5 of the teams we beat had winning records.  In case you need me to do the math, that is between 40 and 50 % of UND's opponets were winners, compared to < 25% of UNA's.  So quit with the "NCAA is trying to punish us for being so GOOD" crap and just accept the fact that you got beat by a better team.

actually.. UNA beat 6 teams with sub .500 records, they beat 7 teams with records of .500 or better. UNA beat was 2-0 vs playoff teams in the regular season.. UND was 0-1. the problem with the SSI is the "incrementalization" assigning points to a win based on the opponents win% being between two values... a win over an 0-11 team is worth as much as a win over a 5-5 team.. UNA's first 13 opponents reg. season winning % was 56%.. UND's first 12 opponents winning % was 55%.. not a big difference.. the reason for the big SSI advantage a word I like to call "incrementalization". the take home message is.. if the teams played like they did last sat., it doesn't matter where the game was played.. UNA loses.

UND Classless? some but not many

Well, after being on the sidelines for the WSU/UND game I will have to say that some of your fans are classless.

With that being said I wish we had the number and ferocity of your fans. Many of those on your home side applauded us as we left the field.

Good luck in the Championship Game!

Your win makes all of us in Region look that much better.

Congrats

Initially I was going to refrain from commenting on this thread, but the more I read on the more I felt I needed to. I will not make any excuses for our student section, some are ruthless and sometimes classless, but that is not everyone. I was on UNA's sidelines for the entire game and was able to hear everything quite clearly. The heckling of the cheerleaders was unfair (although only twice did any cheerleaders come close to the student section during the game) and I apologized to the few that did come over. As for the comment about racial slurs....I heard more out of the mouths of the gentlemen from UNA then I did from the student section. The drug comments have to be expected....come on do you think any other team's fans would let that one slide? I have been to many away games in the past and have had to endure my fair share of heckling, but you have to be prepared for that when wearing the "other" team's colors. All in all, there were a few students who did cross the line a few times, but they did their job and got into UNA players' heads. I was amazed at UNA's ability to ignore the crowd for a moajority of the game and I will give them credit for that. Congratulations to UNA on an exceptional season and good luck in the seasons to come. We'll see you in Florence!!!!

GO SIOUX!!!

I just talked with the championship personnel and UND only wanted approximately 250 tickets and they have already mailed back the other 250. GVSU will be on the visitor side and they have all but sold it out. WOW! Looks like they will have a definite crowd advantage.

I just talked with the championship personnel and UND only wanted approximately 250 tickets and they have already mailed back the other 250. GVSU will be on the visitor side and they have all but sold it out. WOW! Looks like they will have a definite crowd advantage.

UNA

Your constant posts of trying to rub the ticket situation in the face of the Sioux fans is really getting old. Just because you are still trying to get over your loss, doesn't mean you have to keep on coming on here and talking trash.

Let's compare the mileage difference between GVSU and UND? I'm not sure about GVSU, but UND is starting finals.

I'm not making excuses, we will have plenty of people there, but get over your loss.

Thanks for the update, UNA. Does anyone know how many UND people made it in 2001? I thought I had read somewhere (but can't find it now) that it was about 400. 200 or so is more in line with what I would have expected if I had just had to guess.

Sounds like UND is definitely going to be the "visiting team", especially if the majority of the locals cheer for GVSU. At least the game isn't in a dome ???

UNA

Your constant posts of trying to rub the ticket situation in the face of the Sioux fans is really getting old. Just because you are still trying to get over your loss, doesn't mean you have to keep on coming on here and talking trash.

Let's compare the mileage difference between GVSU and UND? I'm not sure about GVSU, but UND is starting finals.

I'm not making excuses, we will have plenty of people there, but get over your loss.

I have in no way tried to rub anything in your face. I am not that stupid to come on to a visiting team's board and start some sh**. In fact some UND fans have said that they appreciate the updates. I guess that I was trying to let everyone now so that they can too think long and hard about boarding a plane just like we did.

If you would have read my post I have been the most civil fan after the defeat. I said form the beginning that Lennon had a better game plan and the UND players executed better. Never have I said anything that would lead anyone but you to believe that I am still grieving. Sorry for the updates.

I'm sorry to hear that you are starting finals this upcoming week. GV has a definite advantage as our finals are finishing this week. We definitely felt your pain back in '01 when we had finals the upcoming week. I was one of those students and was very lucky to escape with only papers and projects due that week instead of exams. It would have been great to interact with my UND fans, but I bet those 250 that show up have enough heart to make up for their missing scholars. Best of luck to you in the game and see you in Bama!

GO LAKERS!!!

GVSU

2003-04 Enrollment:

Total students: 21,524

Population of Allendale and Grand Rapids : 200,000

I didn't realize they were that big of school, wow.

Geez, and UNA was saying that we need to go DI. I read on GVSU's message board and they have the same reasons as us. There are no DIAA teams around them to play. That's enough sense in itself.

How come GVSU doesn't play hockey? Just about every other Mich. school does.

I will not make any excuses for our student section, some are ruthless and sometimes classless, but that is not everyone. I was on UNA's sidelines for the entire game and was able to hear everything quite clearly. The heckling of the cheerleaders was unfair (although only twice did any cheerleaders come close to the student section during the game) and I apologized to the few that did come over.

Thank you for your comments. I guess what bothered me the most was not just that the students were harrassing the cheerleaders but that the security seemed to approve of it. They did nothing to stop it. Even the ND cheerleaders warned our cheer team before the game to stay away from the student section as much as possible because there had been reports of harrassment of visiting cheer teams in the past.

So obviously the college knows of the problem but still chooses to place the visiting fans right in the thick of the problem. And then sit back and watch the fireworks. That bothers me more than anything.

On a lighter note, I got my pictures developed today and I have an awesomely funny shot of the confetti drifting down. ???