SiouxSports.com Forum

Cong. on the win.....

lionfan03

I couldn't agree more and I suspect there will be a lot of that type of whining next week on this board. We'll see...

As for the TimeDaily article: You're delusional if you don't think the Alerus Center helped UND win. I am not taking anything away from your team. They played spectacularly. However, Its ridiculous to imply that the score would have been the same if it was played in Florence. The simple fact is, UNA got screwed by the NCAA. We got penalized three reasons: being undefeated, beating the #1 team in the nation, and beating a Division 1AA conference champion. Keep in mind, you were the ones with a loss...not us. How you can possibly justify why UND had homefield advantage is complete lunacy to me. The strength of schedule argument is laughable. The NCAA gave you the game because they would have caught flack for the seeming injustice of UNA being able to host all their playoff games. It happened in the early 90s when we won so many games there. It's not our fault that we host the championship game. Too bad we got screwed because of it.

You used your homefield advantage to your advantage this weekend...as you should have. Congrats on the win and I hope you all have a safe trip to Florence.

Evidently you "forgot" the biggest reason why UNA didn't host. You played a provisional D2 team, which hurts the SOS big time. Your tears don't have much merit anymore. You got utterly dominated on the field by an obviously superior team, playing 3/4 of the game without its biggest weapon in Travis Lueck and steady Jessie Ahlers. If the game was in Florence it probably would've been more lopsided, because with all of UNA's "speed" it should've been much better off on turf. The committee must have known which team was better going in, because the better team hosted, and the better team won.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to apologize first for any UND fans that crossed the line at the game yesterday. I didn't hear anything near me that could of been considered racial, but I'll apologize for those students who did. But since UNA complained about UND, I think I'll complain a little about UNA fans.

My complaints about UNA

1. The confetti-all over the fricken place, and even got on the field. Not cool

2. #51- making a gesture towards UND's student section before the game even started was pretty stupid. I played athletics, and I was yelled at by fans, yet I was big enough to keep my mouth shut.

3. In the bathroom at the Alerus a UNA fan made a point to say to me "I didn't know y'all had bathrooms in North Dakota, I was worried we's was gonna have to go on the sidewalk outside." I told him it wasn't funny, and he got upset at me for showing a lack of class.

4. You lost the game, get over it, I know you're mad, don't blame the crowd.

My congrats for UNA

1. Will Hall-A tremendous show of class talking to the student section before the game, and shaking Lenon's hand after the last touchdown, in probably the last football game of his career. Good luck to him!

2. Your cheerleaders. I don't know why anyone would yell at them, boy are they good looking.....wow!!

3. #5-Great touchdown, in making the quote "Speed kills" true.

As for the TimeDaily article: You're delusional if you don't think the Alerus Center helped UND win.

Nobody said the homefield didn't help UND. The issue is whether North Alabama was any more deserving of it. I'm sorry, but I personally am not all that impressed with an undefeated record when there were only three games against teams with a winning record during the entire regular season. When you are comparing two number one seeds, strength of schedule should mean something. Maybe you don't agree with how it's measured. Maybe you don't even understand how it's calculated. In any event, UND's regular season schedule was stronger, and they were the number one seed in a region which historically is better than yours. It's hardly the biggest travesty ever perpetrated by the NCAA.

The confetti we made at the end of the game was pretty good though. Even if I did get it all over myself. :silly:

And Wilbur you should said "Well we didn't want you to feel too at home here. After the game though, my friends and I will go outside, pretend to be a tornado and tip over your trailer if you want."

This is a ridiculous argument/debate/flame session/congratualtory thread. I'm sure everyone agrees that having home field is better than not having it. HMMM that's hard to figure out. :silly: The Star Spangled Banner thing was not classy, but overall I'd have to say UNA fans and players were a good group of individuals. The better team won. Undefeated or not 13-1 means different things for each team now...for UND it would mean NC...for UNA it means reload for next year.

Probably the classiest thing I saw all game...since we're on this subject was

After being taunted all game by the "racist unruly UND students" #68, an offensive lineman for UNA, came up to the students, was appologized to, and shook many fans' hands. No hard feelings, he offered his congrats, and the students were as professional as students can be after winning a National Semifinal game. I was one row back, so I witnessed this first-hand. The players are not blaming the loss on inappropriate fans, so people should listen to what they are saying.

The goal posts didn't even come down...everybody filed out in an orderly manner.

On the first morning of my first trip 'down South' in my life I went into the hotel restaurant for breakfast. The hostess, who was shuffling through some paperwork at the same time and not looking at me said, "Would y'all like to sit in smoking or non-smoking". I looked around thinking, "she must not mean me because she said y'all and there is only one of me, besides she's not making eye contact with me so she must be talking to someone else, but...there...doesn't...seem...to...be...anybody...else...around". So, confused as I was, I said nothing, hoping that someone else, inexplicably out of my sight would respond. The hostess then (icily, but sweetly, if you know what I mean) repeated her query only this time looking right at me (over the top of her reading glasses). This time I reponded, "You mean me?". To which she (again icily, but sweetly) replied, "Well yes, honey, I mean y'all. Y'all don't see anyone else around here, do y'all?". I replied, "No, but you said y'all and there's just one of me". She said, rolling her eyes and with even more ice and more sweetness in her voice (clearly pained by having to suffer yet another damn yankee fool), "Honey, if I'd meant all y'all, then I would have said all y'all". :silly: This in my experience, is what passes for southern hospitality. Instead of just coming right out and telling you what is on their mind, they talk to you in a super phony sugar-sweet voice, laced with sarcasm. As soon as your back is turned, they tell the nearest co-southerner "I declare, those damn yankees get more stupid by the minute!". Where I'm from, we call it being two-faced.

I couldn't agree more and I suspect there will be a lot of that type of whining next week on this board. We'll see...

As for the TimeDaily article: You're delusional if you don't think the Alerus Center helped UND win. I am not taking anything away from your team. They played spectacularly. However, Its ridiculous to imply that the score would have been the same if it was played in Florence. The simple fact is, UNA got screwed by the NCAA. We got penalized three reasons: being undefeated, beating the #1 team in the nation, and beating a Division 1AA conference champion. Keep in mind, you were the ones with a loss...not us. How you can possibly justify why UND had homefield advantage is complete lunacy to me. The strength of schedule argument is laughable. The NCAA gave you the game because they would have caught flack for the seeming injustice of UNA being able to host all their playoff games. It happened in the early 90s when we won so many games there. It's not our fault that we host the championship game. Too bad we got screwed because of it.

You used your homefield advantage to your advantage this weekend...as you should have. Congrats on the win and I hope you all have a safe trip to Florence.

Seriously, just how did the Div II committee get it wrong? Did they sidestep or ignore elements of the post season ranking criteria? Was this criteria not set prior to the season and agreed to by all member teams? As I understand it, UNA hurt themselves when they played outside the division. This is exactly why UND does not want to play NDSU next year. There couldn't be a better example.

From Jeff McIntyre's column at TimeDaily.com:

It was just a bad week for the Lions. They not only had to deal with the trip to Grand Forks and playing in an unusual setting and also had to deal with the suspension of two players.

Nobody should underestimate the impact that something like this has on the morale of a team. Napoleon knew a thing or two about such matters.

On the first morning of my first trip 'down South' in my life I went into the hotel restaurant for breakfast. The hostess, who was shuffling through some paperwork at the same time and not looking at me said, "Would y'all like to sit in smoking or non-smoking". I looked around thinking, "she must not mean me because she said y'all and there is only one of me, besides she's not making eye contact with me so she must be talking to someone else, but...there...doesn't...seem...to...be...anybody...else...around". So, confused as I was, I said nothing, hoping that someone else, inexplicably out of my sight would respond. The hostess then (icily, but sweetly, if you know what I mean) repeated her query only this time looking right at me (over the top of her reading glasses). This time I reponded, "You mean me?". To which she (again icily, but sweetly) replied, "Well yes, honey, I mean y'all. Y'all don't see anyone else around here, do y'all?". I replied, "No, but you said y'all and there's just one of me". She said, rolling her eyes and with even more ice and more sweetness in her voice (clearly pained by having to suffer yet another damn yankee fool), "Honey, if I'd meant all y'all, then I would have said all y'all". :silly: This in my experience, is what passes for southern hospitality. Instead of just coming right out and telling you what is on their mind, they talk to you in a super phony sugar-sweet voice, laced with sarcasm. As soon as your back is turned, they tell the nearest co-southerner "I declare, those damn yankees get more stupid by the minute!". Where I'm from, we call it being two-faced.

Diggler and Damstrait-

Having taken linguistic courses here at UND, I know that the term 'y'all' is a common word in a dialect of American English. It's different than what we have up here but it is STILL English. A simple, "Beg your pardon" would have sufficed.

True, she was icy towards you, but that's probably because she thought you were ignoring her or being stand offish. Being a hostess or a server is a hard job.

And no, that by definition is not hospitality at all. It's just a minor language barrier.

If someone came up to you and said, "Welcome to this establishment. I'm so pleased to serve you today. I want to make it the best experience you've ever had so your beverages are on the house!" that would be cool. But what if it was spoken in a different language from a person whose culture is trained socially not to smile at strangers? It would change your perspective very much and you'll probably not feel comfortable.

Redwing, you take stuff way too seriously. I'm trying to make fun of people here and you barge in here with your linguistic baloney. :( I don't care if it is supposedly part of the English language, I don't use it. Therefore it is just a made up word for the lazy and I shall taunt poeple who chose to use it. :silly:

I've already posted my congratulations to UND on another string of messages on this message board and will do so one more time. Again, I've been a UNA fan for over 20 years and seen great wins and heartbreaking losses. Of course yesterday's loss will go down as a major disappointment. But I'm still extremely proud of our team, the season they had, the excitement they gave the fans, and the way they conducted themselves through-out the season.

As for the national anthem - there was absolutely no intent by the UNA team to show disrepect to UND or your fans. For whatever reason, coach Hudspeth brings his team onto the field at the last minute. Sometimes it's before the anthem and sometimes after. At UNA home games, the anthem is played about 10 minutes before kick-off and neither team is on the field.

As for airlines - someone already posted the fact that Florence is about 60 miles from Huntsville, 2 1/2 hr drive from Memphis, 2 hr from Nashville and Birmingham, and 4 1/2 hr from Atlanta. I always look at all the possibilites when flying - but usually flying from one small market area to another is tough on rates.

Again - congratulations to UND on a great win - no excuses or bad feelings by this UNA fan - it was decided fair and square ON THE FIELD! - unlike the spectacle I see unfolding today by the "big boys" of Div I!!

Good luck - and GO SIOUX!! (I'll be the one in Section B West stands cheering for "Y'all"!!!

Sandram

P.S. I continue to pray for Dru, her family, and your community. Some things are more important than football. PEACE

We should get some bumper stickers made up that say...

NDSU and UNA:

They should've

played Crookston  :)

PCM, I want you to know I fell out of my chair on that one!

I probably will need more stitches than Randy Schmidt(See under 18 hockey game) :p

Now on the serious side I to would like to "Bill Clinton" and say I am sorry to all the Bamma fans who were wronged. I don't know if it helps but I am truly sorry.

Sandram, I enjoy your posts. You are an informed fan.Your team played well

INMHO.

Sandram, if you keep posting on this board we will have you saying things like "You-Betcha" and "pop"/soda! :p;):silly:

post at your own risk! ;););):):(

Now on the serious side I to would like to "Bill Clinton" and say I am sorry to all the Bamma fans who were wronged. I don't know if it helps but I am truly sorry.

I don't want to hear about anyone "Bill Clinton"ing anyone. Besides, Bill was famous for lying remember? And the cigar........ :silly:

Sandram, if you keep posting on this board we will have you saying things like "You-Betcha" and "pop"/soda!

I have lived almost half of life south of the Mason-Dixon line and the other half north (and as Yogi Berra might say "the third half right on the line"). I grew up in the north and am ridiculed by my southern brethren to this day for referring to carbonated beverages as "pop". Around here, all beverages are "coke" - there's orange coke, clear coke, and coke coke. It's funny how living in an area for so long rubs off on you - I have actually found myself saying I was "fixn'" to do something.

Someone else has already pointed this out, but from one who has lived many places in my life - it is correct that we in "fly-over country" are all pretty much alike (accents excluded). It's when you get around those big city folks that you see the real negative side to what you might term "hospitality".

'preciate your comments, riverman.

Sandram

Now, let's talk about Alerus. I was on the sideline doing radio for UNA.

The first thing I got to say on the radio was I wonder if anyone realizes they have 10 fingers because they only knew how to use two of them.

I get the homefield advantage thing, I really do, but you guys stepped over the line. Our players were subjected to racial slurs which is way over the line. I am coming back for the press box at halftime and get cussed up and down by a guy just because I have on a purple shirt. We were spit at be someone on the mezzanine....I could go on and on and on, but what's the point. Guess you just say it's homefield.

Jeff Whitten

UNA Radio / D2Football.com

Sounds to me you pre judged us pretty well. :(

I can't speak for any other fans but I put all ten of my fingers to good use along with probably 9,000 others funny you could hear any "racial slurs"? :silly:

Put the race card back in the deck!We don't play "that" game here!

Grab the pinocle deck and warm it up. I am sure a few Sioux fans wouldn't mind playing while waiting for Sat..Heck we might let you have the bid a couple of times! ;):p

As for "home field" you should try wearing a Sioux (hockey jersey) to the Uof Minnesota(Gophers) or in Madison Wisc(Badgers)! :p

You ain't seen nothing until you have done that! :)

I have lived almost half of life south of the Mason-Dixon line and the other half north (and as Yogi Berra might say "the third half right on the line"). I grew up in the north and am ridiculed by my southern brethren to this day for referring to carbonated beverages as "pop". Around here, all beverages are "coke" - there's orange coke, clear coke, and coke coke. It's funny how living in an area for so long rubs off on you - I have actually found myself saying I was "fixn'" to do something.

Sandram

My favorite is Diet Coke Coke and Pepsi Coke. Our band director is from Oklahoma and I've heard them all. :silly:

Riverman,

The point was that we were given the finger numerous times, which was meant tounge and cheek. I can live with that. The only thing that really got me was the spitting and the racial and drug test comments. It was never my intention to stereotype UND fans, because we met some great people as I said in the earlier post. I'm sure that most of the fans under my skin were students. I never meant to lump all UND fans into one group, and apologize if it was taken that way.

We complimented the ND football team many times throughout the broadcast, especially the offensive line. We were beat on the field, but the noise was definately a factor. Five plays on special teams killed us (2 punt returns, the kickoff return, the fake field goal and the fake punt). The fake field goal was a back breaker. Without it, we are likely playing an overtime game tied at 22.

It was a great semi-final matchup between two teams that nobody would have predicted going in to the season. North Dakota coming off a 5-6 season, UNA coming off a 4-7 season. I was impressed with Bowenkamp, he has great presence at QB and executed the fake to perfection.

You guys were much faster on defense than I expected. It was a very physical football game. Harold Wisdom (50) made some huge hits, especially on #8 across the middle. I wasn't sure he was going to get up, but he bounced right back up.

If you look at the big picture, UNA had a great season. We finish 13-1, make it to the national semis, and make a community believe in UNA football that hadn't done that in several years. 11 wins in the last 3 years is tough.

I will be at the game on Saturday and look forward to meeting some of you. You guys have to try out Cajun's while you are here. I also may have some extra tickets around the 50 yard line, 14 rows up if anybody needs some. I am not sure how many of my family will be going, but I may have extras.

Congratulations on your win and best of luck and safe travels.

Best of luck

Jeff Whitten

The only thing that really got me was ...... and drug test comments.

I don't see what is morally wrong about making light of the drug test situation. If that wasn't expected to be heard you guys play in a pretty lame conference from a fans' standpoint. There wouldn't be a place in the NCC where the same wouldn't be heard and expected regarding the suspensions, and I don't see why that is wrong at all. If the comments aren't wanted, well, keep clean then. I don't think anyone would make any apologies for making the drug related comments. And I don't think I am out of line at all in this opinion.