SiouxSports.com Forum

Cong. on the win.....

lionfan03

Starz you make it sound like the guys are showing up to games at Neeland Stadium in formal gowns or something. :(

I think UNA fans should be thanking us for not playing this game at Memorial Stadium. You guys would've died! It was cold out with that wind. :silly:

The dumbest thing about what the UNA fans have described is that the people doing the stupid taunting weren't intimidating anyone. How does making fun of the cheerleaders do any good? And using racial slurs doesn't intimate people. We can intimidate and annoy players without that. And I know the people around me did do that. One guy got called a retard by a UNA player. That player was then shot with water by his teammate. Funny.

You are right, you didn't make a blanket statement. Still we have to try to defend ourselves because we don't want to be associated with the idiots.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but echo what a lot have said. I dislike racial slurs to no end. Those same fans who said them would be on your side of the fence if they were slurred upon. It's sad. They shouldn't happen in the first place.

UNA is a great team. I watched it from home (darn homework) and I was VERY VERY VERY impressed with that linebacker... Wisdom (#50 whoever he is). I think he might make the NFL. He always seems to be in the area of the football and he hits like a madman! Like PCM said, Hall is a class act. I've NEVER seen a QB do that. Especially when the TD was basically meaningless. It raised my eyebrows. But man is he short :silly:

I wish I was going down south to Florence.

Lionfan03, jim, Chris, or any UNA fan who reads this board. GVSU fans too: We are NOT all like that. I will not deny that there are those of us who do do things like that or call you all a liar. But PLEASE don't label us for the actions of some of our so called fans. We love the Sioux very very much, like you love the Lions or Lakers or what have you. My regret is that I didn't get to meet any of you. Some of you, like Jim and Chris, seem like good people. Trust me, there is nothing I like more than talking up the sport you love with someone who loves it just as much as you do who can add something to the conversation instead of just nodding yup all the time. That's what good fans can do even when they don't have the same team to root for. If only the championship game ws the 20th.

By the way, I'm fairly certain that the crowd that comes down to Florence will be very different than the home crowd up here. They'll be die hard, but I think they'll be well versed at whose home this is.

Im sorry but this all sounds like the sort of thing you hear after a team loses a game they were "suppose" to win. Im sure there is validity to some of the complaints but the underlying problem for UNA fans is that they lost. Its funny to me that every time a team wins they can barely remember whether or not there were any opposing fans in the building, BUT if a team loses ALL they remember is the a$$hole fans from the other team. 60 minutes is a hell of a long time when you have to listen to 9,500 fans cheer AGAINST your team, and its more than enough time to think of every reason those same fans are being "rude". As for the "utmost hospitality" that ND fans recieved in Alabama two years ago, that may be true on MOST accounts but you are a fool if you think there weren't some A-hole fans who "stepped over the boundary" with their remarks.

First, UND, congrats on the win. I was certainly surprised at the way you guys played. Two many factors were against UNA: playing away, on turf, the "drug" issue. I don't know if it has been said, but our leading receiver, David Mooneyham (one of the players who was not allowed to play) is best friends with Will Hall. They have played football together since the 9th grade and are roommates now. He is Will's go-to man and I was concerned how that might affect Will. There were just too many factors set against us AND you guys brought your A game. We wish you all safe travel next week.

Now, UND 33, you display the exact kind of classlessness that the UNA fans on here are accusing you of. You better watch it. Florence has sold nearly 5,000 tickets to the game next week...mostly to people expecting to see UNA play. I will go ahead and tell you, from what I've heard, UND will NOT be the hometown favorite next week. NCAA gave you homefield advantage and you did a good job of turning Alerus into a circus where it was obvious you crossed the line at times. Keep in mind, there will be more Florence people at the game next week than all the fans combined for both of the playing schools. You better show a little more class or fate may turn Braly into a homefield for GVSU and they will do to you what you did to us tonight...

I was in the front row. The only racial slurs were coming from the mouth of #27 for UNA. If one such racial slur was uttered from the students, it was out the door for that person. #27 told Jamaal Franklin, a UND DB who was yelling at the UNA players, to "act his color", and that was the only racial comment the entire game. The fact that these UNA folks are playing the race card is ridiculous. Calling someone a southern hick isn't a racial slur. People are way too sensitive upon failure today. Excuses excuses.

And if this is the first place you have ever heard opossing fans swear at your team, it's time to get out a bit more. If you can swear on network TV, you can swear at a football game. It should be taken for what it is worth. If swearing really gets under your skin, maybe you should open up your eyes and see the rest of the world a bit. I guess I can't sympathize with people who are bitching about too much cussing.

I still don't understand how the students taunted the cheerleaders in the first half when the cheerleaders were so far away. :silly: What exactly were the students/whomever saying?

I agree. There is no way the cheerleaders were being harassed in the first half, they were away from everybody. I don't even understand why the Alerus let them stand where they did during the second half of the game. It will be a lesson for them in the future to not allow them to stand up there. If they didn't like the treatment, they should have went back down to the field.

Then put the visitors on the opposite side of the student sections......or move the student section......

something should be done to prevent this type happening.

It hasn't happened at any of the other Division II schools we visited this year....and I went to every game.

Valdosta was the worst, with the student sections close to where we were, but not in front of us between us and the sideline or the cheerleaders.

And their security dealt with the problems....even the monkey.

Move the student section? lol

Get real

Will Hall on the student section:

More than an hour before kickoff, North Alabama quarterback Will Hall went to the student section - located behind the Lions' bench - to have a good-natured chat with the students.

It all was part of what he called a great environment.

"It was a great crowd," Hall said after more than 9,600 Alerus Center fans helped carry UND to a 29-22 win against North Alabama on Saturday in the NCAA Division II semifinals. "It was a great atmosphere. But that's what we expected."

There are always one or two stupid fans who can ruin it for everybody.

On another note, when a fan of a team loses there is ALWAYS somebody who comes out and complains about how rud the home crowd acted. Or better yet, complain about how crappy the alerus center is(bison fans). It's mostly sour grapes.

Now, UND 33, you display the exact kind of classlessness that the UNA fans on here are accusing you of. You better watch it. Florence has sold nearly 5,000 tickets to the game next week...mostly to people expecting to see UNA play. I will go ahead and tell you, from what I've heard, UND will NOT be the hometown favorite next week. NCAA gave you homefield advantage and you did a good job of turning Alerus into a circus where it was obvious you crossed the line at times. Keep in mind, there will be more Florence people at the game next week than all the fans combined for both of the playing schools. You better show a little more class or fate may turn Braly into a homefield for GVSU and they will do to you what you did to us tonight...

This entire thread is ridiculous. If Sioux fans shouted racial slurs shame on them - they should know better, but to call UND fans classless and describing the football game yesterday as a circus atmosphere is laughable.

Without question, the most classless thing that happened yesterday was the UNA team not coming onto the field for the national anthem. There is no justifiable excuse for not coming onto the field in a timely, respectful and appropriate manner and I don't care if you traditionally stay in the "tunnel" before every game; THAT was a very offensive gesture.

As for your contention that UNA fans will turn the field against us next weekend, I don't think anyone here is overly concerned. It is a neutral site and anybody with any semblance of practicality knows that 5,000 UNA will not be in attendance next weekend to taunt UND especially since your team won't be there.

I am guessing Dale Lennon is formulating his gameplan in an effort to beat GVSU and is not concerned in the least with UNA fans. However, I did hear that the long snapper's volunteer graduate assistant coach's intern is in charge of developing a plan to combat the noise and hostile atmosphere being threatened by UNA fans.

I have only talked to one UND fan EVER that I didn't like. After my team beat the Sioux in 99 your fans were complimentary, nice, cordial, etc. After that game I really started to like UND and its fans. While I believe those things happened, I certainly don't think it's indicative of most UND fans.

Having said that, I've been to Florence twice. Southern hospitality is EXTREMELY overrated. Florence felt no different than anywhere I've been in the Midwest outside of Chicago. I think in general, people in "flyover" country are good, polite, cordial people.

Without question, the most classless thing that happened yesterday was the UNA team not coming onto the field for the national anthem.

What was the deal with that? I, too, thought it was very disrespectul. It was almost as bad as Winona choosing to make its entrance while the color guard was on the field and the national anthem was ready to begin. Don't both teams have to be on the field by a certain time?

On another note, when a fan of a team loses there is ALWAYS somebody who comes out and complains about how rud the home crowd acted. Or better yet, complain about how crappy the alerus center is(bison fans). It's mostly sour grapes.

UNA fans need to suck it up and admit that they lost on the football field and not in the stands. I was not at the game so I do not know if any of this stuff actually happened, but this appears to be yet another case of the lossing team whining because thier team lost. It was a good game, do not let it get ruined by this. If you can't take going into a hostile arena, don't show up here. UND fans are there to cheer on our team and to intimidate the opposing team, it is part of the game. The only bad thing though is the racial slurs, I sure hope that this did not happen.

I have only talked to one UND fan EVER that I didn't like.  After my team beat the Sioux in 99 your fans were complimentary, nice, cordial, etc.  After that game I really started to like UND and its fans.  While I believe those things happened, I certainly don't think it's indicative of most UND fans.

That's certainly good to hear. I think even the most ardent fan of any team would acknowledge that there are at least a few fellow fans who we would prefer to disassociate ourselves from. But in general, I firmly believe that the vast majority of UND fans are pretty good people.

Lionfan03:

While you may have been upset by the manners of some of our rowdy student fans, I have to believe that they at least stood with attention during the National Anthem. Where was your team while this was going on? Not even on the field. You want to talk no class... look within. The poorest thing I've EVER seen.

This column was in the Florence paper today:

link

The committee decided the outcome? Come on. UNA was a good team, but they were not better than UND. And since Mr. McIntyre basically admits that UND won on the field and deservedly so, I don't see how he can make much of a case that UNA "deserved" to host any more than did UND. Both were number one seeds. Who is ranked higher in the national poll is completely meaningless and not one of the criteria anyway. A better overall record, aided at least in part by a schedule that included very few teams with a winning record, only goes so far. Had UNA gone out and dominated yesterday, then I think they would have reason to complain about not hosting. But since UND proved to be the better team, and least based upon this one game, the argument that UNA should have hosted just because UND happened to have one loss loses much of its merit.

Even before Saturday's game, UNA fans were still furious about the undefeated Lions having to travel to face a team that the committee ruled had a better strength of schedule index.
See, this is why it is better for UND to NOT play against NDSU after this year. I hope that Bison fans can understand this now.

As for the article, UNA fans really need to stop making thier excuses! They were out played on the field. A good team finds ways to win under the conditions that are hostile. UNA did not overcome these conditions and they lost. What are should we do about these situations? Have all fans watch the games on TV and in a neutral venue?

It is also hard to imagine a bigger homefield advantage for one team to have.

I would say having the National Championship in your home stadium would be a bigger advantage...

There are always one or two stupid fans who can ruin it for everybody.

That was exactly my point.

I am not making excuses, you guys beat us on the field, no doubt about that. I was sharing my experience with some of the fans in ND. The ones we hung out with Friday night were great. Good luck in Florence, GVSU will be tough. Should be a great game.

Jeff

I was not at the game so I do not know if any of this stuff actually happened, but this appears to be yet another case of the lossing team whining because thier team lost.

I couldn't agree more and I suspect there will be a lot of that type of whining next week on this board. We'll see...

As for the TimeDaily article: You're delusional if you don't think the Alerus Center helped UND win. I am not taking anything away from your team. They played spectacularly. However, Its ridiculous to imply that the score would have been the same if it was played in Florence. The simple fact is, UNA got screwed by the NCAA. We got penalized three reasons: being undefeated, beating the #1 team in the nation, and beating a Division 1AA conference champion. Keep in mind, you were the ones with a loss...not us. How you can possibly justify why UND had homefield advantage is complete lunacy to me. The strength of schedule argument is laughable. The NCAA gave you the game because they would have caught flack for the seeming injustice of UNA being able to host all their playoff games. It happened in the early 90s when we won so many games there. It's not our fault that we host the championship game. Too bad we got screwed because of it.

You used your homefield advantage to your advantage this weekend...as you should have. Congrats on the win and I hope you all have a safe trip to Florence.