SiouxSports.com Forum

PWR predictions

jimdahl

UND's road to the NCAA tournament is getting steeper

jan23endofseason.png

The full article also includes a look at this week's impacts of the Wisconsin series, a look at this week's "on the cliff" team -- Mass.-Lowell, and the most dynamic (from a PWR perspective) series of the week -- Northern Michigan vs. Miami.

Just curious as a Minnesota fan, what does your formula say for us? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Damn it's worse than I thought, can only afford 2 more losses with road series at Duluth and Denver plus 3 home series. It might come down to having to win the WCHA Tournament after all. :sad:

Don't forget that I'm not doing the conference tournaments, which will affect the final PWR. A full run gets the autobid anyway, so ignore that scenario. However, it is possible in the tournament to get 3-4 wins and only one loss, though likely only 1-2 of those wins against TUCs. The target probably isn't really #13 like I keep saying, but instead something like #17, to leave enough room to climb.

Don't forget that I'm not doing the conference tournaments, which will affect the final PWR. A full run gets the autobid anyway, so ignore that scenario. However, it is possible in the tournament to get 3-4 wins and only one loss, though likely only 1-2 of those wins against TUCs. The target probably isn't really #13 like I keep saying, but instead something like #17, to leave enough room to climb.

Going to be tough duty getting those wins in the tournament unless we can move up to around 4th before it starts, first round we would have to sweep the lower seed, then we would get someone like CC or UNO, then Minn. or Duluth, then the other one (if the brackets hold). That's a tough road.

We've been running through all these scenarios for the last couple weeks and the thing that is becoming clearer is every game has to be played like an elimination game from here on out.

Duluth has the inside track on the MacNaughton Cup as their schedule looks favorable. Honestly, after that it's a crap shoot with the next five in the standings. I still think if CC gets healthy they could make a good run. Final Five will be tough because it's likely that everyone outside of Duluth will need to have a good tournament to stay alive.

I still think that UND has a good chance to make the tourney, if they rack up some wins. Just a hunch but the CCHA isn't going to get 7 teams in the tourney because they are going to beat the hell out of each other. Can you imagine the Hakstol haters, if UND doesn't make the Final Five or the NCAA tourney? Yikes.

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 1

I still think that UND has a good chance to make the tourney, if they rack up some wins. Just a hunch but the CCHA isn't going to get 7 teams in the tourney because they are going to beat the hell out of each other. Can you imagine the Hakstol haters, if UND doesn't make the Final Five or the NCAA tourney? Yikes.

Hakstol should have about the highest job security of any college hockey coach in the nation, right up there with Red Berenson and Jerry York. Just my opinion, though.

Duluth has the inside track on the MacNaughton Cup as their schedule looks favorable. Honestly, after that it's a crap shoot with the next five in the standings. I still think if CC gets healthy they could make a good run. Final Five will be tough because it's likely that everyone outside of Duluth will need to have a good tournament to stay alive.

Totally agree with this. Duluth is in the hot seat to win the MacNaughton Cup, and I assume that they probably will win it. CC didn't look to strong in Minneapolis this past weekend. They were definitely outplayed both nights but they got some lucky bounces their way Friday and goaltending kept them in it. Which I suppose is what you need in one and done playoffs. Luck and goaltending. Both CC and Denver are so up and down its hard to know what team you're going up against. Since mid November Minnesota has been the same way.

we can only afford 2 losses and we have UMD next week?!? yikes

Normally I'd be less concerned knowing Tech scored 9 unanswered goals on UMD to close the weekend...but that's a double-edged sword considering we have to host MTU the following weekend!

we can only afford 2 losses and we have UMD next week?!? yikes

Duluth is very overrated IMO.... look who they've played.... I did the numbers and the combined record of their opponents is 114-144-26.... sure you factor in Huntsville, but even after that, 112-120-25.... not impressive. They haven't been tested since playing the gophers. We can give them a big run

Duluth is very overrated IMO.... look who they've played.... I did the numbers and the combined record of their opponents is 114-144-26.... sure you factor in Huntsville, but even after that, 112-120-25.... not impressive. They haven't been tested since playing the gophers. We can give them a big run

We need no worse than a split at Duluth, with a road series at Denver still on the horizon (where we ALWAYS are on the short end of the penalty calls), anything less than 2 points at Duluth could be a killer.

Hmm that's funny. The Pairwise would say otherwise on our rating. Sweep of Western in their barn, 3 at providence, 3 at DU, split with Notre Dame. Good stuff. If I squint real hard I may be able to see UND in the pairwise rankings somewhere "Mr Stoney-no name". I'll give you a play by play of the NCAA's while you and your no names enjoy thr golf course. Do me a favor, warm up the Tee box for me, I'll be out April 8th

Hmm that's funny. The Pairwise would say otherwise on our rating. Sweep of Western in their barn, 3 at providence, 3 at DU, split with Notre Dame. Good stuff. If I squint real hard I may be able to see UND in the pairwise rankings somewhere "Mr Stoney-no name". I'll give you a play by play of the NCAA's while you and your no names enjoy thr golf course. Do me a favor, warm up the Tee box for me, I'll be out April 8th

Even someone named "drunk hockey guy" knows that his favorite squad is struggling mightily right now. The only question: is it a temporary slump, or is it indicative of how the rest of the season will go?

Time will tell. Now, about your ribbing at UND, I'm not sure a Duluth fan can do that. Sure, you won the title last year, but Butler almost won the NCAA BB title 2 years in a row. Is Butler one of the best programs of all time? No, a program that has had a couple good years.

Again: your squad is struggling right now, and I like UND's chances in just under 2 weeks.

Providence? Really? You are trying to prove your point about UMD and you cite Providence? And Denver's the same team that got beat 7-3 by Michigan Tech. Your best point was the split with Notre Dame.

IMO, the truth of the matter is is that UMD is a very good hockey team. No one's denying that. In fact, best team I've seen so far. But in reality, the 2 best teams you've played were way back in October at home and went 1-3.

I think this past weekend is a blip for UMD, but it shows there's a lot more parody in college hockey this year.

Oh, now I remember you...thanks for the input...:(

DHG, I would worry about the end of the regular season before you start talking about post season. Look at who you have yet, I see some rough road games and you have home series against 2 teams in the polls. There are 10 games left and you better take care of Alaska this weekend before you worry about the post season.