SiouxSports.com Forum

FightingSioux.com retired

jimdahl

This is truly unfortunate. The newer ND interlocking logo as the main symbol on the website is a joke, no buddy likes it. Frankly, it sucks, but I can't come up with a more educated statement.

I'd rather see the UND flame symbol be UND's brand logo right now than the ND interlocking one on UNDsports.com

My sickness for this transition to the new website doesn't sit well with this born and raised North Dakotan and UND alum.

See previous discussions for more detail.

In short, yes, but I'm in no hurry. Unfortunately, given that they now expect to take something like four years to choose a new nickname, I probably can't hold out until a new name is chosen, as was my original goal.

Why even change it? You have no obligation to the NCAA. When a new name is chosen then ok.

Why even change it? You have no obligation to the NCAA. When a new name is chosen then ok.

It pretty much comes down to this post:

In the long run, we want a name that associates itself with UND athletics. There would be no point to running a site named SiouxSports.com when the (e.g.) UND RoughRiders were out there; only old-timers would associate the two.

That said, as mentioned in one of the linked threads, I don't think we're under any particular obligation to discontinue use of the name at the same time as UND (I did not participate in the settlement agreement). Joining UND in going to an interim name has its pros and cons, all of which may not be apparent yet, so we'll see.

So, yeah, no hurry.

I don't know quite when it happened (haven't been to fightingsioux.com undsports.com in over a week), but it's now official -- the Indian head logo is gone. Now the masthead is just the Notre Dame-style logo.

A few references to "Sioux" remain on the page, but I suppose they'll clean those up soon enough (though I suppose they'll have to wait for organizations like Sioux Crew and Sioux Kids Club to factually change their names to get them all).

I don't know quite when it happened (haven't been to fightingsioux.com undsports.com in over a week), but it's now official -- the Indian head logo is gone. Now the masthead is just the Notre Dame-style logo.

A few references to "Sioux" remain on the page, but I suppose they'll clean those up soon enough (though I suppose they'll have to wait for organizations like Sioux Crew and Sioux Kids Club to factually change their names to get them all).

I noticed that even ESPN was using our interlocking logo the other day.

The story the GF Herald had yesterday as new news (please refer to us as UND or North Dakota) was sent out around December 1 to our conference opponents and their media. Must have sent to other media at that time, too. Apparently the Herald didn't get that memo.

It's no longer the "Sioux Sports Extra" on Sunday nights on WDAZ anymore either. "It's now UND Sports Extra."

This is indeed an ongoing process. Because there are (understandably) so many questions about the various changes, such as those mentioned above, we will send out a press release in the near future that addresses all of the changes related to athletics organizations, programming, etc.

Though I didn't receive the rumored request letter myself (the first time being conspicously excluded from the media email list has tangibly benefitted me!), to respect the spirit of UND's request I did change the "official" logo (used in box scores, standings, etc...) to the interlocking ND tonight.

http://siouxsports.c...ckey/standings/

I suppose we'll get used to it.

More branding changes:

Fighting Sioux Club = North Dakota Champions Club

Sioux Crew = NoDak Nation

Sioux Boosters Club = UND Boosters

Sioux Booster Luncheon = UND Fan Luncheon

Sioux-per Swing Golf Tournament = North Dakota Champions Golf Tournament

Sioux-per Gala & Auction = A Night of Champions: UND Athletics Auction & Gala

Sioux Kids Club = Sioux Kids Club for the rest of the season

Fighting Sioux Sports Network = UND Sports Network

Fighting Sioux Radio Network = UND Radio Network