SiouxSports.com Forum

Go Sam Houston State

YAWNSON

The head start Sam had with their Friday game didn't help bison fans either.

Definitely not. NDSU is in a lot of fans doghouse the way they handled their 4K allotment of tickets. I expect the crowd to be about a 60/40 SHSU to NDSU split. Not too concerned about it being an "away game" atmosphere, Bohl's teams have done fairly well on the road the past few years in some big environments....McNorton and Holloway are both from Texas, last games of their careers.

I, for one, appreciate listening to Jack Michaels calling a game, be it football, baseball or whatever. It matters little to me whether or not he is an NDSU grad. Jack is as professional as one gets. Boyd Christenson, a UND grad, called Bison games for an extended period of time. Ed Schultz and Scott Miller have called games for both UND and NDSU. Even though I'm a Sioux fan, I'd rather see NDSU win this game instead of a Southern school (nothing personal against Sam Houston State, you understand). Since people are constantly getting UND and NDSU mixed up, it might well be that NDSU's success will accidentally rub off on UND's athletic programs as well.

Jack is awesome on radio and a good man to boot.

Definitely not. NDSU is in a lot of fans doghouse the way they handled their 4K allotment of tickets. I expect the crowd to be about a 60/40 SHSU to NDSU split. Not too concerned about it being an "away game" atmosphere, Bohl's teams have done fairly well on the road the past few years in some big environments....McNorton and Holloway are both from Texas, last games of their careers.

I'd bet it will be more like 66% SHS / 33% NDSU, as a lot of NDSU fans will be shut out of tickets unless they have a big donor connection. If the game had been in Chattanooga, the crowd would have been 70% NDSU, 30% SHSU

I'd bet it will be more like 66% SHS / 33% NDSU, as a lot of NDSU fans will be shut out of tickets unless they have a big donor connection. If the game had been in Chattanooga, the crowd would have been 70% NDSU, 30% SHSU

Everyone's favorite Gene Taylor is estimating 10K Bison fans, I think that is a stretch but wouldn't be suprised if there were 8K at all. Hey if you wanna sell your tickets to a Sam Houston fan there is a guy on BVILLE looking for 4. Says his bro is on the staff at SHSU and is struggling with tix as well.

Kind of like hockey with all the NAIA and DII schools (majority) that play.

No it isn't.

UND plays at the highest level of NCAA hockey. NDSU and UND do not play at the highest level of NCAA football. So, *if* NDSU wins, it still isn't a true D-1 championship.

• Upvote 1

No it isn't.

UND plays at the highest level of NCAA hockey. NDSU and UND do not play at the highest level of NCAA football. So, *if* NDSU wins, it still isn't a true D-1 championship.

I can't help but laugh at this comment, it is just so predictable that some UND fans would respond this way. If UND were in the championship you would not come on this forum and say it isn't a true D-I championship.

FCS is the new D2, just look at all the schools in FCS and where they used to be. D2 is the new D3/NAIA with schools like Minot, Sioux Falls, Crookston, and Black Hills State moving up to D2. To deny these facts makes one look pretty dumb. Yes it's a "D1" championship.... but it really isn't any more impressive than a D2 championship was 30 years ago (which NDSU won several of... so congrats).

I can't help but laugh at this comment, it is just so predictable that some UND fans would respond this way. If UND were in the championship you would not come on this forum and say it isn't a true D-I championship.

Not taking anything away from what NDSU may be about to do, BUT, when UND gets in that position, and God willing, wins it, I will certainly not have any illusions that UND is the best Division I football program in the country (That, I am afraid, must be reserved for the FBS national champion, BCS poll arguments aside.) Now, I will indulge all the NDSU trollers and fall into the "Buthockey trap," if UND wins another NC in mens or womens hockey, there will be no doubt that we are the best college hockey program in the country. Same goes for track and field, cross country, golf, softball, swimming, soccer, volleyball, baseball, and a Cinderella miracle run by our bb teams in the dance.

That is all anyone is trying to say; please don't mangle their words with revisionist propaganda.

• Upvote 1

I guess I didn't know that there were NDSU fans that were claiming to be the best Division I football team in the country.

The championship is what it is, a Division I football championship. Nobody is claiming to be anything other than the best Division I FCS football team when they win the FCS championship.

It isn't anything more than that, but it certainly isn't anything less than that. Don't try to downplay the accomplishment by saying it isn't any better than an old DII championship.

Yes, I would. Also, I will be cheering (If I watch the game) NDSU. But, I do know the difference between top level of competition and tier II competition. Not my fault if I understand the truth.

If they win, it's not really a D-1 title anyway. FBS is the true D-1 in football.

Actually, there is only 1 Division 1 Championship trophy awarded by the NCAA, and that goes to the winner of the FCS National Championship. Will you see LSU or Alabama hoisting the familiar NCAA Championship trophy this year? No. They will be getting the Coaches Trophy that the FBS gives out. The FBS National Championship game was determined by polls, opinions, and a computer. The FCS National Championship game was determined by a month long playoff. So really, one could argue that the winner of the Sam Houston/NDSU game is the true D1 Champion!!

So really, one could argue that the winner of the Sam Houston/NDSU game is the true D1 Champion!!

You could. If you were really lousy at making arguments! I think I'd take LSU or 'Bama over either of those teams any day of the week. As stupid as the BCS system is, one of those schools is going to be the national champion of college football at the top level. Not the Bison or the Toaded Beavers or whatever Sam Houston is called.

You could. If you were really lousy at making arguments! I think I'd take LSU or 'Bama over either of those teams any day of the week. As stupid as the BCS system is, one of those schools is going to be the national champion of college football at the top level. Not the Bison or the Toaded Beavers or whatever Sam Houston is called.

One could also argue that NDSU is better than Alabama based on performances by both teams against Georgia Southern. :lol:

Why do UND fans continue to degrade the level of competition that their athletes play at, and if I-FCS is the new Division II, how much validity does that give UND's national championship run in '01?

One could also argue that NDSU is better than Alabama based on performances by both teams against Georgia Southern. :lol:

Why do UND fans continue to degrade the level of competition that their athletes play at, and if I-FCS is the new Division II, how much validity does that give UND's national championship run in '01?

Congrats Bison. We will see how things turn out. Perhaps going to your own blog to pump your chest is better suited for you and your fanbase. No need to come here and gloat.

It was a division II championship. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with a FCS championship either. But, it's not the highest level of competition. It's not a true D-I championship. It's a lower tier championship.

We can all agree with know what it is. No need for the pissing match....It is a Division I championship. But it is also a subdivision of Division I championship - football championship subdivision. (The only one the NCAA recognizes, because they don't sponsor the BCS). It is the highest football UND plays at and UND players and fans should be proud of what UND has accomplished they they ever win a championship at that level. It took a over a hundred years for UND to win a championship. Let's hope the second doesn't take nearly as long.

It was a division II championship. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with a FCS championship either. But, it's not the highest level of competition. It's not a true D-I championship. It's a lower tier championship.

Just because you keep saying that doesn't make it true. You can say it isn't the highest level of competition, but you can't say it isn't a true D-I championship.

That's like saying your Division I hockey championships count for nothing because there is still the NHL that is a higher level.

And wait the NBA championship is meaningless due to it not involving teams from all over the world. Olympics are meaningless because they only involve our planet, there has to better basketball teams in another solar sytem somewhere in the universe. :)

We could do this all day. I haven't heard any NDSU fan claim that if we are fortunate enough to win the game on Jan. 7th that we will be the best college football team in the country.

Sorry bud. But The NCAA trophy that they give out says "Division 1 Football National Champion" on it. You can deny it all you want but it is legit. You do realize how dumb you sound right?