SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Falls Week

goyotes

2 FCS wins on the road, 5 wins this year and lost a FBS win. This team is on their way!! UND will beat Sioux Falls and it will beat UC Davis and it will beat South Dakota. We need to get this season done with and look towards the Big Sky.

UND 42

Sioux Falls 13

I just looked at Sioux Falls' schedule--they only have nine games this year, they played Minot State twice and the game this Saturday against UND is their season finale. I guess it's even tougher to schedule in the transition from NAIA to dII than it is in the transition from dII to FCS.

I just looked at Sioux Falls' schedule--they only have nine games this year, they played Minot State twice and the game this Saturday against UND is their season finale. I guess it's even tougher to schedule in the transition from NAIA to dII than it is in the transition from dII to FCS.

What did the Minot St. final end up being? I know it was 10-9 sf at one point.

While I cannot make the trip up again this year..I think Sioux Falls will compete, as they competed at McNeese State earlier in the year (also a FCS team)...but so far this season the 2011 USF team has been trying to get accustom to playing together, as the team has a ton of new parts..especially at the skill positions.

USF has been going back and forth between 2 QBs....1 lefty..1 righty....and hasn't thrown the ball anywhere near as good as in the past. USF would destroy teams like Minot in the past....this 2011 transition team struggles at times with them and doesn't have the offensive efficiency that they've displayed the last 5-6 seasons. USF was far more polished offensively and had playmakers like QB Lorenzo Brown. This current team is currently finding out who the playmakers are..and can be..

The bigger issue is that USF hasn't been as good as the line of scrimmage as in the past....and that's something the Cougars will need to restore to be a good team at the D2 level, starting next year in the NSIC. USF is a really young team at this moment and loses few difference makers to graduation..so for Cougar fans there is positive thoughts for the future. The USF defense has played well for the most part..but the offense has been sloppy too often.

As a USF follower I'd love to see them get it all together this week in their finale....but I can't say I'm expecting it.

http://www.ksfy.com/category/185294/video?clipId=6400376&autostart=true

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20111030/SPORTS0204/110300334/USF-rallies-fourth-quarter-beat-Minot-State-29-10?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

NCAA rules are a biatch compared to the playground that is NAIA, aren't they Witt?

USF will have times now where they can't get a guy like Jon Eastman (2010 starting qb, who had already been at 2 NCAA schools), but for the most part USF has been ramping up for this change to D2 over the last few years. The 2011 USF isn't hasn't been under-performing due to NCAA rules..they are simply the youngest and most inexperienced USF team in the last 10 or more years. So that said, I don't dwell on the rules stuff since 95% of the USF players would have been playing in the NCAA also. The 2009 USF team was virtually all NCAA legal players, etc.

I instead focus on the football game....the matchups..and such.

USF has a new Head Coach, OC, and DC since we last met. They are also working to prove themselves.

As for the Sioux, I've followed them from a distance this year and they seem more complete than the 2009 team..and healthier as well. RB Jake Miller looks like he's given you guys some real stability at his position and some very good performance. Greg Hardin also seems like a great talent for the Sioux at WR..and looks like a better overall player than Bamba who USF faced in 2009..who was primarily a homerun threat seemingly. I also see Dominique Hawkins is a senior now..and still making plays. Very athletic player.

I was a little surprised at how UND struggled with Northern Colorado..but overall it looks like the Sioux controlled the clock and the ball for the most part.

I assume the UND website will host a webfeed of the game..but maybe Midco is covering it and I just haven't gotten the word yet.

In any event, it's always exciting when your team is the big underdog and going into someone elses house..especially when it's a storied program like UND. Looking forward to Saturday..

Better not overlook Sioux Falls..they played McNeese State tough!!

http://www.usfcougar...TCLID=205309929

The University of Sioux Falls refused to back down in Saturday night's encounter with DI FCS No. 23 McNeese State University at Cowboy Stadium. The Cougars came in with a chip on their shoulder and showed resilience, launching a late comeback to quiet the home crowd of 14,342. In the end USF came up short 31-17, but the Cougars played their best football thus far on the season's biggest stage.

UND will beat Sioux Falls and it will beat UC Davis and it will beat South Dakota.

USD will be a tough one. They are much better at the most important position on the field, the QB, and have a more balanced offense than the Sioux have.

USD will be a tough one. They are much better at the most important position on the field, the QB, and have a more balanced offense than the Sioux have.

What's the status on his injury? Their backup was playing at the end against Poly.

USD averages 6.5 more pass yards per game than North Dakota, and has thrown 1 more interception than North Dakota against relatively equal competition.

As far as GWC games, I worry more about UC Davis (bad match-up) on the road, than I do against USD at home.

But for right now, I'm most concerned about Sioux Falls, because that's who's coming to GF on Saturday............................ :)

So far this season, this team has met or exceeded my expectations. I've seen nothing so far this year that would lead me to believe that this game won't be a 30+ point beat down of USF.............

totally agree, USF is not the team of former yrs., and they don't have the QB and WR or line of a FCS team, which is what bothers me about next year when we move to a more talented schedule, finding new areas of improvement with even the lowest of FCS teams. But for this week, beat down.

USD averages 6.5 more pass yards per game than North Dakota, and has thrown 1 more interception than North Dakota against relatively equal competition.

A comparison of Warren vs Bradley (the only UND qb listed) from this link appears at odds with your comparison.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/greatwest-Notebook.htm

Have not heard anything about Warren's injury, and I live in SD (not a Coyote fan though).

A comparison of Warren vs Bradley (the only UND qb listed) from this link appears at odds with your comparison.

http://www.sportsnet...st-Notebook.htm

Have not heard anything about Warren's injury, and I live in SD (not a Coyote fan though).

USD averages about 157 passing yards per game. UND averages about 151 yards per game, thanks in large part to Goska's last two games.

Not to rain on the parade, but this will not be the 30 or 40 point pasting everyone seems to be calling for. UND should win this time but it will be in the 10-14 point range, not a complete blowout.

I've said it several times over the last two years, but I'm going to say it again: scheduling USF at all was a just plain stupid move.

• Upvote 1

Not to rain on the parade, but this will not be the 30 or 40 point pasting everyone seems to be calling for. UND should win this time but it will be in the 10-14 point range, not a complete blowout.

I've said it several times over the last two years, but I'm going to say it again: scheduling USF at all was a just plain stupid move.

A absolute No Win Situation for UND......totally Agree!

Yep, I fear that you are correct on the point spread, and are absolutely correct about NAIA teams or lower division teams in general.

For whatever it's worth, Massey is predicting UND to win 38-14.

Atomic Football- a site that I have found (anecdotally) to be more reliable than Massey in predicting scores- has it 29-20 UND.

The reason I don't think it will be a blowout is this: UND doesn't have the offensive prowess to blow out another team unless they can completely overpower that team with the run game (see BHSU and Montana Western). I think USF is good enough defensively to prevent that from happening.

OTOH, USF probably doesn't have a good enough passing game to exploit UND's weakness which is why I think UND wins along the lines of 28-17. I know people probably look at the Northwest Missouri vs USF score in assuming UND will blow out USF, but Northwest Missouri is a much better team than UND this year.