SiouxSports.com Forum

Where are Grimaldi and St Clair

bigskyvikes

The whole St. Clair thing stinks of mismanagement at UND or the NCAA, honestly probably UND. This is a kid that had years in juniors. The NCAA or UND had plenty of time to make sure that his academics were in order. It is not as if he was a 17 year old being rushed to graduate a year early. There were years check and recheck. I doubt he is a dumb kid as he was initially going to CC.

Guess after reading the article- it sounds if UND did everything they could possibly do. Hmmm- very quick to point the finger aren't we?

Read this article, Colten St. Clair has the attitude and drive that I want every current and future Sioux player to have, honestly how many players in his situation would stick it out this year, its not like this kid has no future in hockey, if he would have had a solid year this season he very well could be have been a late round draft pick as an overager. He will be a great 4 year player for us.

Sounds like UND has a real character guy here.

Sounds like UND has a real character guy here.

There should be more flexibility from the NCAA on situations like this. No one wins with him sitting out a year. Im sure St. Clair would be more than happy to take whatever classes or do whatever he needs to be eligible this season even if it meant a heavier class workload. I feel bad for him.

There should be more flexibility from the NCAA on situations like this. No one wins with him sitting out a year. Im sure St. Clair would be more than happy to take whatever classes or do whatever he needs to be eligible this season even if it meant a heavier class workload. I feel bad for him.

Yes, the NCAA seems to sometimes exercise their power in unreasonable fashion,

• 2 weeks later...

What does it take for St Clair to become eliglble? Is there any chance he could be available for the second semester? And what about DiPuma,the guy (I can't think of his name) that committed to the Sioux last summer but he didn't make it through the clearing house, I thought that Brad had said he was in school too.

The reason I ask is, didn't Dicken start out not making it through the clearing house too and then came in at semester break.

Edited by patatoe

What does it take for St Clair to become eliglble? Is there any chance he could be available for the second semester? And what about DiPuma,the guy (I can't think of his name) that committed to the Sioux last summer but he didn't make it through the clearing house, I thought that Brad had said he was in school too.

The reason I ask is, didn't Dicken start out not making it through the clearing house too and then came in at semester break.

I believe he would need to retake the course(s) that are in question. Now if he can do that by taking some college courses I am sure they are looking at this summer to make those up.

I hope that the coaches are looking at bringing in more forwards for next year besides the depth guys they added late this year. Certainly Pattyn, DiPuma, Senbeil, and Gaarder could develop into a Davidson or Martens-type player, but we are a little top heavy on grinders right now, at least the ones that don't seem to have a high-end offensive upside. Would like to be able to cover the scenarios we encountered last summer. How good would Cichy or David Toews be looking in a Sioux uniform right now. When 75% of games are won or lost on the powerplay, you better be able to put out two good units out there every time, and because of injuries and youth, not so sure we can say that yet.

I hope that the coaches are looking at bringing in more forwards for next year besides the depth guys they added late this year. Certainly Pattyn, DiPuma, Senbeil, and Gaarder could develop into a Davidson or Martens-type player, but we are a little top heavy on grinders right now, at least the ones that don't seem to have a high-end offensive upside.

Not sure I agree. This freshman class had as much high end talent (not Toews or Paris level, but high) as most classes the Sioux have brought in. Grimaldi, Parks, MacM, and Mattson all look very good--and that doesn't count St. Claire. I wish they had a Malone replacement--big guy with skills in the slot area, but I like this team. They have to be careful not let the hole get any deeper, but with the speed and quickness they have in the young guys, they have a big upside.

Not sure I agree. This freshman class had as much high end talent (not Toews or Paris level, but high) as most classes the Sioux have brought in. Grimaldi, Parks, MacM, and Mattson all look very good--and that doesn't count St. Claire. I wish they had a Malone replacement--big guy with skills in the slot area, but I like this team. They have to be careful not let the hole get any deeper, but with the speed and quickness they have in the young guys, they have a big upside.

From what I have been told Roco Grimaldi when he gets healthy should be one of the top incoming freshman in the country.

I did say because of youth and injuries. Proof is in the pudding at this point in time regarding the 3rd and 4th lines--not a lot of production at this juncture. I think all of those players and O'Donnell will turn out to be very good players and some are producing now, but you need the 3rd and 4th line to chip in every once in a while too.

I know it's tough not to talk about it when the team is struggling, but the talk of the "what ifs" from player departures gets very, very old after awhile.

The point of the conversation is the irony, that it is because of the depth in the past that we lost these players. I was talking about our depth being hurt from having too much depth in the last few years. Can throw Fienhage into that equation as well.

I did say because of youth and injuries. Proof is in the pudding at this point in time regarding the 3rd and 4th lines--not a lot of production at this juncture. I think all of those players and O'Donnell will turn out to be very good players and some are producing now, but you need the 3rd and 4th line to chip in every once in a while too.

Yes. Good you bring up O'Donnell. Part of what they seem to be missing is that guy with the long reach who can maintain control and get pucks on the net. Usaully those are bigger guys like Malone and Lee Goren, but Oshie was a big-reach guy, despite not being tall. But you know, we fans have been talking a lot in recent years about having more speed and quickness like BC. Well, this team has a little more of that--at least in the younger guys. It also looks a little like a Blais team in the making. Making the tournament this year is no lock, but things look good for the future IMO. As well as Blood is playing this year, it would be nice to get him some reward this year.