SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota's Attorney General wants NCAA official to tour The Ra

pontoonin

And invite them to a game when UND plays the Bison so he can see the lack of respect given to the Fighting Sioux ;)

You've defined the true issue.

The problem isn't UND fans cheering for "Sioux".

It's opponent university administrators (cough-RoySaigo-cough-NDSU-cough-cough) who didn't want the true boorish nature of their fan bases continually exposed by their truly hostile and abusive chants toward the "Sioux" (either the team or the people).

• Upvote 2

And invite them to a game when UND plays the Bison so he can see the lack of respect given to the Fighting Sioux ;)

So what are people going to think when your team chants Sioux Suck when they play a team other than UND after the name is changed...I see a NCAA violation and possible lawsuits coming!!

The NCAA brainiac(s) would probably "mistake" our "sieve" chant and hand motion after goals with the infamous tomahawk chop the way so many of our PC anti-nickname faculty members on campus either ignorantly or intentionally mischaracterize it. :glare: Need to have someone close by who is educated enough to inform them of what is truly going on.

The NCAA brainiac(s) would probably "mistake" our "sieve" chant and hand motion after goals with the infamous tomahawk chop the way so many of our PC anti-nickname faculty members on campus either ignorantly or intentionally mischaracterize it. :glare: Need to have someone close by who is educated enough to inform them of what is truly going on.

Maybe the NCAA execs are thinking the fans at Florida State are doing the sieve chant instead of their Indian chant and tomahawk chop. :lol:

The Ralph should bring in a AHL team like a Winnipeg Jets AHL team & call them the Fighting Sioux

Imagine how many from Winnipeg & GF's - would build a new Fan Base for Both the Jets & Fighting Sioux

UND does not deserve the Arena if they can't save the name

• Upvote 1

The Ralph should bring in a AHL team like a Winnipeg Jets AHL team & call them the Fighting Sioux

Imagine how many from Winnipeg & GF's - would build a new Fan Base for Both the Jets & Fighting Sioux

But doesn't UND own the trademark on the logo? So even if this AHL team called them selves the Fighting Sioux...the logo would be owned by UND. So it would be Purper Arena for UND!

The Logo should go back to Ben B - Didn't Ralph pay for the the Logo

Name - If you don't want it - why not give or sell it to someone who does

I think the SL wants the logo but isn't Brien a Chippewa...I would think an outcry in Belcourt would be on the horizon.

You nickname-at-all-costs people are absolutely amazing. You care more about the nickname and logo and REA's cherished status as a "private entity" than the University of North Dakota, the UND Athletic Department and the success of our teams. Someone on another thread questioned my loyalty because I think keeping the name and logo at all costs is a bad idea. I think it's a better idea to question the loyalty of REA, Inc. and the nickname-at-all-costs crowd. It's obvious your first priority isn't the health and success of the University of North Dakota.

If REA's management really was stupid enough to kick UND out and bring in some Major Junior team or AHL team, I would not spend one dime of my money to set foot in that place ever again. I think Grand Forks would reject whatever carpetbagger scab team that REA, Inc. would put in there and this "private entity" would find out that being private is a double-edged sword. As for the BESC, I suppose the high schools or the YMCA league could use it. But again, that wouldn't pay the bills, either. And it would serve them right.

If this indeed happened, I would love it if UND would renovate and refurbish the Old REA and re-establish the atmosphere we had in that place for so long. And then we could do the same for Hyslop Sports Center. I think we could find some room in that $300 million endowment the Alumni Association is collecting to make it happen. And then REA, Inc. could go pound sand you-know-where. Like I said above, it would serve them right.

End Rant.

No he is not Ojibway. He is a Metis (Cree) at least according to Ben and his son.

"Mothers were often Cree, Ojibway, Algonquin, Saulteaux, Menominee, Mi'kmaq or Maliseet. At one time there was an important distinction between French Métis born of francophone voyageur fathers, ... " (Source: http://en.wikipedia...._people_(Canada) )

I suspect, given his Turtle Mountain ties, Mr. Brien is French Metis: French and Ojibway/Chippewa. (I know others of similar heritage.)

But why does this matter? His wife is of Spirit Lake Nation, or so I'm told.

"Mothers were often Cree, Ojibway, Algonquin, Saulteaux, Menominee, Mi'kmaq or Maliseet. At one time there was an important distinction between French Métis born of francophone voyageur fathers, ... " (Source: http://en.wikipedia...._people_(Canada) )

I suspect, given his Turtle Mountain ties, Mr. Brien is French Metis: French and Ojibway/Chippewa. (I know others of similar heritage.)

But why does this matter? His wife is of Spirit Lake Nation, or so I'm told.

I am confused I thought Ben Brien was Chipewa? :)