SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Tourney Format: 2012-13

weberwildcat

Read the article and all the comments, agree that all 11 teams should be in the tournament. It would only create 1 more round where you have seeds 6-11 play with seeds 1-5 get a bye and then you are down to the quarters. This way wherever the tournament is the fans can plan their travels for the date set. The way it is now alot of teams dont know if they've made it until 5 days prior and then the travel costs go way up, especially if you have to book a flight.

Have to consider that there will be 12 teams starting in 2014 when Idaho comes aboard, and will likely go to divisions, so not every team will play twice during the regular season. Having said that, I like only having either 7 or 9 teams be in the tournament, especially if it is at a neutral site. It still gives the #1 seed a bye and an advantage.

Including Idaho, there were 6 teams in the league that drew fewer than 1,500 fans per game. So I don't see the fans of the bottom 3 to 5 teams in the league making it a priority to get their travel plans in order early on regardless of the location.

For the record, I like the current format where the regular season champ hosts, allowing the best team the easiest path to the Dance. If UND would have gotten hot and won this year's tournament, we surly would have been a 16 seed. Although the chances are still slim, Montana has a much better chance of getting a win in the tourney with a 13 seed than we would have.

How about doing it like the WCHA Final Five? Twelve team league, give the top 4 teams a bye. The other 8 play each other with teams 5-8 hosting teams 9-12. Then have the rest of the tournament at a designated location such as Boise, SLC, Vegas, or Reno. Reseed so #1 seed plays the lowest remaining seed and so on...

How about doing it like the WCHA Final Five? Twelve team league, give the top 4 teams a bye. The other 8 play each other with teams 5-8 hosting teams 9-12. Then have the rest of the tournament at a designated location such as Boise, SLC, Vegas, or Reno. Reseed so #1 seed plays the lowest remaining seed and so on...

I believe that is basically how they did it up until this year. Except only 6 teams made it and the regular season champ still hosted the semis and finals.......

For the record, I like the current format where the regular season champ hosts, allowing the best team the easiest path to the Dance. If UND would have gotten hot and won this year's tournament, we surly would have been a 16 seed. Although the chances are still slim, Montana has a much better chance of getting a win in the tourney with a 13 seed than we would have.

Agree in principle, but would have liked UND's chances in the "play in" first round against NC A&T or Brooklyn or Liberty. WInning that game pays as much as a second round game, which UND would have no chance in vs a #1 seed.

Doubt there is enough money in it for that to work. In the WCHA, most teams average at least 4000 and then play at least 2 games. In the Big Sky, plane tickets on short notice would need to be bought, and few teams have attendance enough to even compensate the visitors for their travel costs. Conference tournaments are more about making money than creating a real playoff.

Guess I was thinking the Play in round would get fans excited about the chance to go to the Conference tourney/elite 8/whatever you want to call it in a destination location such as Vegas or Reno. Maybe not right away, but eventually it may build excitement/increase attendance for that game. Just thinking of alternatives...

I like your thinking. Basically what I was saying with a few twists.

I wish they would have a neutral site. It would be good for those like me who have to give a good notice (a couple weeks) to take vacation from work. Plus cities like Denver or Vegas would be perfect to fly out of Fargo to get to. But next season the tourney will be in Grand Forks!!!!

Syracuse won 81-34. Montana shot 20% from the floor. OUCH

Gotta love the fans from FU bashing the Big Sky after this game even saying the NCAA is going to pull the AQ status from the conference. Funny how they tried to get into this horrid conference twice, they are now in a conference that is on the brink of collapse and could have its own AQ status pulled. But whatever makes them feel better. Good luck to their SL member in the tourn....oh yeah SDSU lost.

• Upvote 1

Akron got beat by almost 50 yesterday too. Didn't Akron just beat the Bison by 20 a week or so ago. On any given night if the right things happen any game can get out of hand. It was going to be a tall order for Montana to stay with Syracuse anyway.

Akron got beat by almost 50 yesterday too. Didn't Akron just beat the Bison by 20 a week or so ago. On any given night if the right things happen any game can get out of hand. It was going to be a tall order for Montana to stay with Syracuse anyway.

Alot of teeth gnashing going on about how terrible Wolters/SDSU and Montana/Big Sky are. They must have forgot they scored 2 more points against WIU than Montana did against Syracuse (cherry picking games is fun). Barely a peep about Akron though.

Alot of teeth gnashing going on about how terrible Wolters/SDSU and Montana/Big Sky are. They must have forgot they scored 2 more points against WIU than Montana did against Syracuse (cherry picking games is fun). Barely a peep about Akron though.

Or Western Michigan so is the SL better than the BSC? Who cares 1 team got in from each league and each team lost in the first round. It's a push lets continue the great debate next season that is unless the SL loses more teams and NDSU comes knocking on the BSC door for a third time

I have lived that one before. When I was in HS a loooong time ago, we played Fargo South in football. Fargo South was ranked #1 and we had them beat the whole game, only to fall in the last two minutes. The following week we played Shanley at home and lost 73-7. One of those games where nothing went right.

That board will comparitive score anything to death. At the end of the day both the Summit and Big Sky were one and done. No one will remember the scores after the weekend.

Something they really love to compare though, their beloved RPI has Montana one spot higher than FU. According to them and their coach- RPI is pretty much the end all of discussion when comparing teams.

That board will comparitive score anything to death. At the end of the day both the Summit and Big Sky were one and done. No one will remember the scores after the weekend.

Something they really love to compare though, their beloved RPI has Montana one spot higher than FU. According to them and their coach- RPI is pretty much the end all of discussion when comparing teams.

They love to bash the BSC because UND is in it however in another thread "how to make the SL better" they suggest adding UND to stabilize the conference. Yeah...I don't see that happening. You guys love Douple and his decisions ( like not adding UND for baseball, etc,) now you guys live with it.

The Summit can't be turned into the MVC. NDSU needs to get a decent BB program in place and look for a move to a better conference.

Is decent defined as a NCAA birth in multiple years? Because SDSU is atarting to leave the Bison in the dust with 2 straight while NDSU is on a 4 year drought. Saul is a good guy but NDSU doesn't have much to offer other conferences in way of tournament births and facilities. SDSU is starting to mount a good résumé.

But what do I know I am not a loyal fan of UND since I didn't attend there..right Wyo?

Is decent defined as a NCAA birth in multiple years? Because SDSU is atarting to leave the Bison in the dust with 2 straight while NDSU is on a 4 year drought. Saul is a good guy but NDSU doesn't have much to offer other conferences in way of tournament births and facilities. SDSU is starting to mount a good résumé.

For me, I am undecided on Saul. You are right, he is a good guy.....but I am not sure he can coach. What will really tell us a lot about Saul will be nest season as well as seeing how he reloads the year after.

I also think if a school like NDSU or SDSU wants to establish a D1 BB reputation you can't just have appearances that are one and done. A win or two at the dance as well as showing up consistantly are needed. The formula for UND is probably the same. Both the Sky and the Summit are likely to be autobid only conferences. I just can't imagine either getting an at large.

If UND and NDSU want to have more success in BB, then they better get good enough so a better conference will have interest. Right now it would be a step down for a conference like the MVC to add either (let alone something like the MWC). But as long as there are fans, there will be some fans that are delusional and think that conferences like the MVC and the MWC may come knocking. I sure as hell won't be holding my breath.

For me, I am undecided on Saul. You are right, he is a good guy.....but I am not sure he can coach. What will really tell us a lot about Saul will be nest season as well as seeing how he reloads the year after.

I also think if a school like NDSU or SDSU wants to establish a D1 BB reputation you can't just have appearances that are one and done. A win or two at the dance as well as showing up consistantly are needed. The formula for UND is probably the same. Both the Sky and the Summit are likely to be autobid only conferences. I just can't imagine either getting an at large.

If UND and NDSU want to have more success in BB, then they better get good enough so a better conference will have interest. Right now it would be a step down for a conference like the MVC to add either (let alone something like the MWC). But as long as there are fans, there will be some fans that are delusional and think that conferences like the MVC and the MWC may come knocking. I sure as hell won't be holding my breath.

Right now there is no need for UND to go conference hunting...we have 11 teams, 12 with Idaho next year so our conference is pretty solid, while the Summit is in danger of losing Oakland and maybe Denver if they find another conference. Plus losing an autobid status, instead of making fun of the Big Fluffy as you call it you better hope your school gets the number for every conference there is before its too late. Oh don't forget SDSU too unless they get in without you.

Right now there is no need for UND to go conference hunting...we have 11 teams, 12 with Idaho next year so our conference is pretty solid, while the Summit is in danger of losing Oakland and maybe Denver if they find another conference. Plus losing an autobid status, instead of making fun of the Big Fluffy as you call it you better hope your school gets the number for every conference there is before its too late. Oh don't forget SDSU too unless they get in without you.

Let me explain this to you since you have a certificate from Aakers Business College (and not a real college degree) and are not too bright.......take a look at the RPIs of either the Summit or Sky. I would suspect that most UND or NDSU BB fans are not content with either conference and would most certainly like to see the programs upgraded to the level of the MVC. The way for a program to get out of a low major BB conference is to build a team that is something a solid mid-major conference would want to add. Neither programs are close to that point yet.

Let me explain this to you since you have a certificate from Aakers Business College (and not a real college degree) and are not too bright.......take a look at the RPIs of either the Summit or Sky. I would suspect that most UND or NDSU BB fans are not content with either conference and would most certainly like to see the programs upgraded to the level of the MVC. The way for a program to get out of a low major BB conference is to build a team that is something a solid mid-major conference would want to add. Neither programs are close to that point yet.

Not a real college degree? So any business college like Rasmussen or that Moorhead business college (I can't think of the schools name) are not real schools and those people aren't real graduates and shouldn't get jobs related to their field because they don't have real diplomas. You are an idiot aren't you. Also I will let my wife and kids know since they didnt attend NDSU they can't be fans. I am sure they will agree with you (enter face palm). As for the real topic of basketball...UND won't get into the MVC as it looks today the same with NDSU because of geography. What conference could UND get into...maybe the WAC? It sure the hell won't be the Summit.