SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Tourney Format: 2012-13

weberwildcat

• 3 months later...

Big Sky Basketball Tourney Grows to 7 Teams

The Big Sky Conference will expand its men's and women's basketball tournaments to seven teams and hold each under one roof when the league expands next season, associate commissioner Ron Loghry said Tuesday

The Big Sky will return to a "lone wolf" schedule next season with travel partners. The partners will be Montana and Montana State, Eastern Washington and Portland State, Northern Colorado and North Dakota, Idaho State and Weber State, and Northern Arizona and Southern Utah. In the week that travel partners are scheduled to play each other, they'll also face the "lone wolf," Sacramento State.

In the postseason tournament, the top seed will get a first-round bye in addition to hosting the tournament. The three first-round games will pit the No. 2 seed vs. No. 7, No. 3 vs. No. 6, and No. 4 vs. No. 5. The top seed will face the lowest remaining seed in the semifinals, with the remaining two teams squaring off.

This had got to be the only conference that does not involve all the teams. Dont understand why 4 teams will be left out of the tournament. I have seen many times over the years a bottom seeded tournament either wins the conference tournament or is in the championship game. Does anyone know why seeds 8 thru 11 will be left out of the tournament? Its only one more round. If we dont learn how to win on the road we will not even be in the tournament.

This had got to be the only conference that does not involve all the teams. Dont understand why 4 teams will be left out of the tournament. I have seen many times over the years a bottom seeded tournament either wins the conference tournament or is in the championship game. Does anyone know why seeds 8 thru 11 will be left out of the tournament? Its only one more round. If we dont learn how to win on the road we will not even be in the tournament.

Summit only includes the top 8 teams, so not everyone makes that one either.

Fullerton has said many times that the reason the regular season champ hosts is so that the Big Sky's best team has the easiest road to get into the NCAA. I assume not including all teams is also a factor for that. I actually think it is a good model. Doing everthing to make sure that the best team in the league throughout the regular season makes the NCAA tourney is a good idea. It potentially means a higher seed, which in turns increases the odds of winning a tournament game, which means more money and exposure for the conference.

espn. ralph engelstad. 8000 fans.

awesome exposure

HIghly doubt if UND won the #1 seed that the tourney would be in REA.

8,000? Got a little over 7,000 for NDSU, so I doubt any Big Sky games would approach that number. If were in a position to host the tourney, though, I'd bet the Sioux Center would be packed and provide a great atmostphere for any games that UND participated in.......................

yeah but this town loves a winner u got to admit that or dont u live here anymore so you don;t know?

Ya, I know this town loves a winner. But I don't see a Big Sky game, a regular season game or a tounament game, drawing 8,000. Maybe a Montana, Montana St, or even Weber could draw 5,000................but that is a big "maybe".

A Big Sky Tournament held in the Sioux Center would be one helluva time IMO.........................

I could see 8000 in REA if it was the championship game and UND was playing for a trip to the NCAA tournament. Otherwise, attendance would be like or maybe slightly better than any other conference venue.

I don't see it.

Even if UND were VERY VERY good and consistently near filling the Sioux Center, do you really think 5,000 additional fans would buy tickets in one week's time leading up to the Big Sky Tournament?

We need to first double attendance at basketball games to even get within 5,000 of that lofty goal of 8,000 for a Big Sky tourney....................

As of now the RPI in the BSC goes:

Weber St 88 12-1

Montana 98 12-1

PSU 191 6-6

EW 210 5-7

ISU 249 7-6

UNC 260 5-8

MSU 287 6-7

Sac St 309 4-9

NAU 334 1-13

SUU 242 8-8 (Summit)

UND 285 3-4 (GWC)

Top 7:

WSU, UM, ISU, PSU, SUU, MSU, Either EW, UND or UNC. We need road wins next year!!!

As of now the RPI in the BSC goes:

Weber St 88 12-1

Montana 98 12-1

PSU 191 6-6

EW 210 5-7

ISU 249 7-6

UNC 260 5-8

MSU 287 6-7

Sac St 309 4-9

NAU 334 1-13

SUU 242 8-8 (Summit)

UND 285 3-4 (GWC)

Top 7:

WSU, UM, ISU, PSU, SUU, MSU, Either EW, UND or UNC. We need road wins next year!!!

Road wins are very important, road wins are tough to come by for anybody in the Sky.

Speaking of attendance, Weber State's home crowd of 8,361 vs EWU on Feb 11th was the highest attended Regular season Big Sky game since ironically enough a 2003 Matchup between Weber State and EWU in Ogden, which was over 10K

Road wins are very important, road wins are tough to come by for anybody in the Sky.

Apparently not for Weber St. ;)

As much as everybody is looking forward to building football rivalries in the Big Sky with Montana and Montana St., I personally am hopefully looking forward to challenging Weber as a basketball power in the league. We'll never rival your attendance numbers, but I'm optimistic that eventually North Dakota will be consistently fighting with Weber and Montana for the Big Sky Basketball championship each year........................................

• Upvote 1

Apparently not for Weber St. ;)

As much as everybody is looking forward to building football rivalries in the Big Sky with Montana and Montana St., I personally am hopefully looking forward to challenging Weber as a basketball power in the league. We'll never rival your attendance numbers, but I'm optimistic that eventually North Dakota will be consistently fighting with Weber and Montana for the Big Sky Basketball championship each year........................................

Even Weber stumbles on the road here and there, Idaho State got us in Pocatato on a last second 3 ???

Me too, I am looking forward to playing UND for the first time in BOTH Football and Basketball :bigsmile:

Fullerton has said many times that the reason the regular season champ hosts is so that the Big Sky's best team has the easiest road to get into the NCAA. I assume not including all teams is also a factor for that. I actually think it is a good model. Doing everthing to make sure that the best team in the league throughout the regular season makes the NCAA tourney is a good idea. It potentially means a higher seed, which in turns increases the odds of winning a tournament game, which means more money and exposure for the conference.

Yep, exactly. I actually think it is a great strategy... give the top seed the best chance of winning by making them win one less game (with only 7 teams in the tournament), and putting it at their home site. While the lower seeded team that pulls a couple upsets and wins the conference tournament is exciting for the fans, but it's not necessarily very good for the conference.

• 1 year later...

Good discussion going at Bobcatnation.com about going to a neutral site for the Big Sky tournament. Both the Bozeman and Grand Forks newspapers have hinted that a change could be coming.............

Read the article and all the comments, agree that all 11 teams should be in the tournament. It would only create 1 more round where you have seeds 6-11 play with seeds 1-5 get a bye and then you are down to the quarters. This way wherever the tournament is the fans can plan their travels for the date set. The way it is now alot of teams dont know if they've made it until 5 days prior and then the travel costs go way up, especially if you have to book a flight.