SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-12 Expectations?

weberwildcat

Sorry for not looking at many of the threads but what do you guys expect this yr? i did catch you have 5 fresh, a young team?

when do the coaches/media poll release from the great west?

are you guys excited for your great west final tour or not overly excited to go big sky next yr?

Yeah the freshman are now sophomores. I believe we have 3 freshman this year, two of which I think are going to be redshirted but I'm not positive.

No idea on the coaches poll for the Great West.

I think people are pretty excited to get into the Big Sky. The sport it benefits the most though is football.

Last year we were 19-15 and the Great West tournament champions starting 4 freshmen. However, to win 19 games again they will have to really up their game I believe. This years schedule looks alot tougher to me than last years. The Big Sky is a big boost to our program and it gives us a chance to play in the dance in March. Looking forward to the Big Sky and dancing with this young group. Go Sioux and bring on the Big Sky.

Sorry for not looking at many of the threads but what do you guys expect this yr? i did catch you have 5 fresh, a young team?

are you guys excited for your great west final tour or not overly excited to go big sky next yr?

Last year's coaches' poll was released November 2, so I assume it will come out around the same time this year.

I think everybody is very excited to finally be a part of a real conference again. The Great West has served its purpose, but in reality is little more than a scheduling alliance.

In terms of expectations, I hope to see something close to 20 wins, and continued development of the young players, who showed a lot of promise last year. Perimeter play should be strong. The question will be on the inside, particularly developing depth and getting more consistent offensive production.

Tremendously, excited to get this season underway. I think that it's important for us to improve as a team this season. Our record this year, although I want it to be good and I feel that it can be is not as important to me as us getting better and getting these guys even more prepared for the Big Sky. I think the most challenging thing that our team will face next year is that the Big Sky Conference schedule will test our bodies along with being mentally prepared week in and week out from January on. The way the schedule has been in recent years- even with the Great West, the 2nd half of the year hasn't been near as taxing as being in a conference with many members- where you know your going to have 2 conference games every week. Should be fun looking forward to it, but also realize that our players need to be up for the challenge. I want us to be a formidable team year 1 in the league- I think there is talent with our young players that we will be able to do that.

After the way they played last season, I will definitely follow them a lot more closely this year. I only made it to one game last year (the Bison game), but I plan on going to home games this year. This team has me really excited about the future of UND basketball.

How many freshmen does ndsu have? Can we really compeate with them this year? I call a 18 point ndsu win on und.

I don't see why the Bison have been brought into this thread....but UND has a better chance this year than last year. NDSU has a couple of freshmen though since you asked.

I think a win over NDSU would be huge for this team and 20 wins is a good goal. UND needs to beat the big boys, we play 4 games against the Big Sky, 5 games against the Summit, plus Kansas, New Mexico and Louisiana Tech makes for good competition this year. I don't see us beating KU in Lawrence but keep it close UND!! Out of 29 games 20-9 is good!

It's encouraging that we are talking about Sioux Basketball. I'm glad to see it. I hope the players are mature enough to realize-that if you truly are going to be a good program-they can not rest with the success late last year. Build & be better. I think they can and hopefully we'll continue to increase the talk about the team here.

How many freshmen does ndsu have? Can we really compeate with them this year? I call a 18 point ndsu win on und.

NDSU is picked to finish in the bottom half of the Summit, at least by the publications I've seen. UND should be able to be very competitive, and a win is quite possible IMO.

NDSU is picked to finish in the bottom half of the Summit, at least by the publications I've seen. UND should be able to be very competitive, and a win is quite possible IMO.

The publications I have noticed have them in the 3-5 range which feels about right. Rivals has them at 3, Summit League site has them at 5. UND could win the game, playing at home especially. I'll still take the Herd by a 10-15 point spread.

To avoid any confrontation. Lets leave NDSU out of the discussion. People will get mad.

This should be the season we start tracking the Big Sky to see how well we fit in.

Weber State has the most NCAA appearances of any Big Sky school, and are favored again.

Media Preseason Poll

1. Weber State (19) ………………………………………………………210

2. Montana (4) ……………………………………………………………..193

3. Northern Colorado (1) ………………………………………………..141

4. Northern Arizona ………………………………………………………125

5. Portland State ………………………………………………………….. 112

6. Eastern Washington ………………………………………………….109

7. Montana State ………………………………………………………….101

8. Sacramento State ……………………………………………………….45

9. Idaho State ……………………………………………………………….41

Coaches’ Preseason Poll

1. Weber State (8) ………………………………………………..64

2. Montana (1) ……………………………………………………..56

3. Eastern Washington …………………………………………42

4. Northern Colorado ……………………………………………41

5. Portland State ………………………………………………….38

6. Northern Arizona ………………………………………………35

7. Montana State …………………………………………………24

8. Sacramento State …………………………………………….16

9. Idaho State ………………………………………………………..9

This should be the season we start tracking the Big Sky to see how well we fit in.

Weber State has the most NCAA appearances of any Big Sky school, and are favored again.

Media Preseason Poll

1. Weber State (19) ………………………………………………………210

2. Montana (4) ……………………………………………………………..193

3. Northern Colorado (1) ………………………………………………..141

4. Northern Arizona ………………………………………………………125

5. Portland State ………………………………………………………….. 112

6. Eastern Washington ………………………………………………….109

7. Montana State ………………………………………………………….101

8. Sacramento State ……………………………………………………….45

9. Idaho State ……………………………………………………………….41

Coaches’ Preseason Poll

1. Weber State (8) ………………………………………………..64

2. Montana (1) ……………………………………………………..56

3. Eastern Washington …………………………………………42

4. Northern Colorado ……………………………………………41

5. Portland State ………………………………………………….38

6. Northern Arizona ………………………………………………35

7. Montana State …………………………………………………24

8. Sacramento State …………………………………………….16

9. Idaho State ………………………………………………………..9

Any idea where we would rank as of now?? I think we should be somewhere between UNC and PSU (coaches) and NAU and PSU (media). Of course we have to include Southern Utah in the polls too.

Any idea where we would rank as of now?? I think we should be somewhere between UNC and PSU (coaches) and NAU and PSU (media). Of course we have to include Southern Utah in the polls too.

The difference between the top two and bottom two in the Big Sky is massive.

Last year, based on Sagarin, UND would have finished only ahead of Sac State and Idaho State.

With another year of experience and more depth, Portland St, NAU, and MSU might be within UND's grasp.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt1011.htm

Here are the big sky tourney stats but it doesn't show last yr's appearance by UNC, their first ever. They moved up from DII in July 2006. I believe only Sac St and Gonzaga never made the big dance. Northridge made it in 2001 and was in the big sky from 1996-2001. Boise & Idaho left in 1997. Nevada left in 1992. Gonzaga left in 1979.

tourney.jpg

Just a quick glance at the schedule leads me to believe that North Dakota can win 18-20 games this season, and could be one of the top 2 teams in the GWC. Assuming all of this year's sophomores progress as they should, it should set up nicely to place a very competetive team in the Big Sky next year.................................