SiouxSports.com Forum

Marketing UND Football

UNDColorado

I just cam across this season series that Portland State is doing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1AhimikeE4Q#!

This is such an awesome way to get the casual fan excited! It got me a bit excited about PSU even though I am a devout UND fan. When all we do are those stupid videos during games it really makes me wonder what the marketing department actually does.

What are your thoughts on a video diary such as this? Pretty cool IMO!

It is my hope and assumption that we will see a new big marketing effort and a revamped in-game experience to coincide with the BigSky next year.

The current in-game stuff at Alerus is amateurish at best.

At best - I think they are downright embarrasing

• Upvote 1

Marketing of UND football has been lackluster. You'd think now would be the time with a decent season thus far, the Big Sky on the horizon, etc................ Haven't really heard much about it being homecoming this weekend. :sad:

As far as the in-game stuff goes, it is par for the course, although it gets a bit irritatating because it seems so constant at the football games. They do the same garbage at hockey with students singing Joan Jett lyrics during stoppages............just seems less frequent there.

I will say that after getting to the hockey games this weekend, the REA staff really deserves kudos for the always awesome pre-game intros they come up with. As always, this year's is awesome. The one they are doing at the Alerus with the players screaming "GREEN.......WHITE" before the team takes the field is pretty bush league. They've been good in the past, but it is a little embarassing this year..........................

Those Portland State videos are very good. I would absolutely love to see something like that done for UND football. Of course, any sort of marketing improvement would be well over-due. And, as I've mentioned before, the atmosphere at the Alerus has got to be improved. Even just playing more music would help drastically. There's no reason that at least some tactics that go into creating the electric atmosphere in the Ralph can't be somewhat transferred over to the Alerus for football.

There's no reason that at least some tactics that go into creating the electric atmosphere in the Ralph can't be somewhat transferred over to the Alerus for football.

I agree in principle. The atmosphere in the Alerus was awesome from 2001 to about 2006 or so, and has been declining since.

I've kind of decided though that it would take more than just copying what they do at the Ralph to get back to where it was though. When you think about what makes the REA so special, a big part of it is the fact that there are 3,000 more people for hockey games crammed into a building half the size of the Alerus.

I have said it many times - Use a song that everybody knows for the intro song when they come running out.  Nobody wants to hear some compiltation of guitars and loud noises.  Don't try and be creative - do what works like:

Va Tech - Enter Sandman

Iowa - Back in Black

• Upvote 1

I've found the answer to my own question by placing a call to the one person I know over there. UND is in charge of both. So what your saying is that they are tremendously good at one (Hockey at REA) they are bad at the other (Football at Alerus). I find that really quite interesting-in fact I find it hard to believe there would be that big of disparity considering the same people are involved with both. I guess I must not be as refined as those of you, I'm not against what we've been doing at the Alerus. Really, are we that nit picky?- the opening video and song?- I actually have traveled to watch Sioux Football a number of times over the last 10 years. We are doing far more than most places that I've been to in regards to Video's, Music, etc... and game experience. In fact it is way more than what we used to do during our glory years in D2 in the early years of the building. Again, to me this stuff really doesn't make that big of deal. I'm there to watch us play. The other stuff is just bells & whistles. Football- Hockey or otherwise. Win and around here- they will come- Lose and people will worry about the music and videos. Yes I think it really is that simple.

But the real question here is why not for football? The hockey videos are great but no question about it football needs more help at this point.

The new 'Through These Doors' feature was conceived primarily as a way to replace some of the void left by the cancellation of the Inside Fighting Sioux hockey television show. The men's hockey program, previously rather rigid when it came to granting behind-the-scenes type of access, approached myself and new media editor Matt Schill about the possibility of doing a show similar to last year's HBO program that featured the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins. Due to limited resources and manpower, we weren't sure it could be properly executed, but we wanted to give it a try. Our numbers show that men's hockey drives the most traffic to FightingSioux.com, and the gap is significant. Our thought was that a men's hockey program that peels back the curtain a little bit for our fans would hold tremendous appeal. So far, the response to the first episode has been overwhelmingly positive.

Having said that, we are fully aware that every sport deserves our attention and coverage. Matt and I had this exact conversation yesterday afternoon. FightingSioux.com will continue to search for new and creative ways to cover all of our programs to the best of our abilities and resources. An all-sports weekly podcast has been discussed as one potential new feature.

As far as in-game management and marketing, we are always looking for ways to improve the product. Football is one of these areas. Our new marketing director, David Primus, came on board exactly one month ago and will be a great addition. David's background includes the University of Wyoming, where he had a significant hand in increasing interest in their football and basketball programs. He is being asked to do the same at UND, among other things. We know we will get there, but it will take time and patience. Having joined us three weeks into the football season, all of our marketing strategies for the current season were already in place by the time David got here. But he has tremendous ideas and it will be exciting to watch them evolve over the next year-plus.

In the meantime, I encourage fans to continue providing feedback. It helps all of us -- not just the marketing department -- if we know what you like and don't like, what you want and don't want.

• Upvote 1

The new 'Through These Doors' feature was conceived primarily as a way to replace some of the void left by the cancellation of the Inside Fighting Sioux hockey television show. The men's hockey program, previously rather rigid when it came to granting behind-the-scenes type of access, approached myself and new media editor Matt Schill about the possibility of doing a show similar to last year's HBO program that featured the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins. Due to limited resources and manpower, we weren't sure it could be properly executed, but we wanted to give it a try. Our numbers show that men's hockey drives the most traffic to FightingSioux.com, and the gap is significant. Our thought was that a men's hockey program that peels back the curtain a little bit for our fans would hold tremendous appeal. So far, the response to the first episode has been overwhelmingly positive.

Having said that, we are fully aware that every sport deserves our attention and coverage. Matt and I had this exact conversation yesterday afternoon. FightingSioux.com will continue to search for new and creative ways to cover all of our programs to the best of our abilities and resources. An all-sports weekly podcast has been discussed as one potential new feature.

As far as in-game management and marketing, we are always looking for ways to improve the product. Football is one of these areas. Our new marketing director, David Primus, came on board exactly one month ago and will be a great addition. David's background includes the University of Wyoming, where he had a significant hand in increasing interest in their football and basketball programs. He is being asked to do the same at UND, among other things. We know we will get there, but it will take time and patience. Having joined us three weeks into the football season, all of our marketing strategies for the current season were already in place by the time David got here. But he has tremendous ideas and it will be exciting to watch them evolve over the next year-plus.

In the meantime, I encourage fans to continue providing feedback. It helps all of us -- not just the marketing department -- if we know what you like and don't like, what you want and don't want.

Great response Jason. Thanks for taking the time to post and fill us in on what goes on. Keep up the good work.

What is the best way to give feedback/ideas?

Thanks for posting here.

What is the most efficient way to provide the type of feedback you are looking for?

Thanks for posting here.

What is the most efficient way to provide the type of feedback you are looking for?

You are more than welcome to email me at jayson.hajdu@athletics.und.edu and I can pass it along to the appropriate contact. Or, if you have a specific area of concern, you can contact our administrative staff -- all of our email addresses can be found here.

We also closely monitor our Twitter and Facebook pages for feedback, positive and negative. Sites like SiouxSports.com are also valuable. If we're not keeping our ear to the ground, we're not doing our jobs!

• Upvote 1