SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Maybe if UND had been in the Big Sky for the last 20 years, with great established rivalries with Montana and Montana St could you propose tagging along.

But you haven't even played a game in the conference yet. It's absurd trying to link yourself to UM/MSU already. You've never been in a conf with them. You're a central time zone, historically midwestern conference school while the Montana's are mountain time zone, historically western US conference schools.

UND's roots are still in the Dakotas, not the western US. Maybe it's time for you to pull your head out of the (Big Sky) clouds and return to your roots? :) The Summit will be waiting when Montana's leave the Big Sky. Hopefully NDSU will back UND for MVFC membership as well.

Dear guy that doesn't keep his word,

Its called The University of North Dakota, not GFU.

You realize North Dakota is also in the western time zone also right? Guess there goes that argument. Like most of your arguments. They don't make much sense.

You also realize Montana wanted UND in the Big Sky? U of M wanted to partner with UND. Montana is the biggest play in the Sky. The other presidents were willing to do anything to help keep them in the Sky: Montana said we want the Dakota school that gets the most national attention according to ESPN.

Wish granted.

• Upvote 1

Would we have the ability to follow UM and MSU to the WAC? Boise would be a welcome addition to the NCHC, how awkward would it be to have two teams named the Broncos in one league., ho wait a minute, we already play in a conference that has two teams of the same name (Huskies).

If Boise State started hockey, their first stop would be the WCHA. Simon Fraser has already stated it wants to move to the NCAA, and Eastern Washington has realigned its program (out of the ACHA) to be with Simon Fraser. A Pacific Northwest Division of the WCHA could end up limiting travel to Alaska for Midwest teams. Eventually, a Pacific Northwest Conference could split off if it gets enough teams. Air Force might even head to that type division.

Maybe if UND had been in the Big Sky for the last 20 years, with great established rivalries with Montana and Montana St could you propose tagging along.

But you haven't even played a game in the conference yet. It's absurd trying to link yourself to UM/MSU already. You've never been in a conf with them. You're a central time zone, historically midwestern conference school while the Montana's are mountain time zone, historically western US conference schools.

UND's roots are still in the Dakotas, not the western US. Maybe it's time for you to pull your head out of the (Big Sky) clouds and return to your roots? :) The Summit will be waiting when Montana's leave the Big Sky. Hopefully NDSU will back UND for MVFC membership as well.

So what you are saying is that UND shouldn't associate with Denver, CC, W Mich, or Miami, either. All four of those are in other time zones and require flights. UND has almost no history with W Mich and only recent history with Miami. OTOH, Montana and Montana State were staples of UND's football schedule except for the past 20 years.

NDSU fans always like to quote Chapman about "athletics being the front porch" of a university. Yet, by staying in the neighborhood with old teams, you and NDSU fans seem to be spouting a "back porch" philosophy: only associate with your backyard neighbors.

NDSU fans are perfectly fine to associate themselves with "old" NCC pals - because they seem so mesmerized by the "Division I" label, the actual teams don't mean a da**.

UND fans don't get enthralled by the "DI" label - they've been wearing it for 50 years in part - but rather by success. For many UND fans, DI means actually leaving the neighborhood.

• Upvote 2

Boston.com: Big East's fate depends on Missouri

http://www.boston.co...easts_fate.html

Big East basketball schools aren't happy with the Big East football choices. May force a split.

USF, Louisville, and Cincy don't want Boise, even though adding Boise would almost assure an AQ .

Villanova is attempting to block Temple.

Clemson may be the backup SEC choice if Mizzou stays.

ACC positioning for Notre Dame

If Mizzou leaves, the Big 12 adds WVU and Louisville in part to position for Notre Dame.

Big East wants to raise the exit fee from $5 mill to $10 mill or more, but most of the football schools are opposed.

CUSA has a $7 mill exit fee - but if UCF or Houston, for example, left, would the Big East still be there?

New York Post: Bickering Big East

http://www.nypost.co...#ixzz​1afhXr2jx

Villanova fit to be tied over a possible Temple invite

In fact, the level of animosity between the FBS schools and the non-FBS schools has escalated in recent days, The Post has learned. The league is considering raising the exit fee for FBS members to $10 million but keeping the fee for non-FBS members at $5 million, a source told The Post.

Big East commissioner John Marinatto got a firsthand understanding of the bad blood yesterday when he had a lengthy telephone call with officials from Villanova, which is considering moving up from the FCS to FBS level. Villanova is not pleased the Big East is considering inviting Temple, which already competes at the FBS level.

Choice words thrown Notre Dame's way:

All of the Big East schools held a conference call on Monday. That was followed by a basketball-members call on Tuesday and an FBS members call yesterday. One source told The Post the basketball call was particularly heated, with some harsh words delivered to Notre Dame, which competes in the Big East in all sports except football, in which it is independent.

Opposition to Boise State:

Sources told The Post the biggest problem facing the league right now is that there is not unanimous agreement on how to go forward. West Virginia is leading a contingent that wants the league to invite Boise State, but some schools are opposed to that idea.

Dear guy that doesn't keep his word,

Its called The University of North Dakota, not GFU.

You realize North Dakota is also in the western time zone also right? Guess there goes that argument. Like most of your arguments. They don't make much sense.

You also realize Montana wanted UND in the Big Sky? U of M wanted to partner with UND. Montana is the biggest play in the Sky. The other presidents were willing to do anything to help keep them in the Sky: Montana said we want the Dakota school that gets the most national attention according to ESPN.

Wish granted.

Unless their playing in Dickinson I don't think your argument makes much sense. Montanai did want UND in the Big Sky if they stay there. As with any school they will do whats right for them and if that means leaving UND in the Big Sky they will. It makes sense for all the Dakota schools to be together whatever the league.

Unless their playing in Dickinson I don't think your argument makes much sense. Montanai did want UND in the Big Sky if they stay there. As with any school they will do whats right for them and if that means leaving UND in the Big Sky they will. It makes sense for all the Dakota schools to be together whatever the league.

My argument? My argument that North Dakota resides in the Mountain Standard Time? Thats a fact.

Think small my friend. Think small.

Montana will always go to bat for UND. Even if/when they go to the FBS. Another fact.

I know its a big deal for NDSU fans to be "DI." Hence their football attendance increase.

UND fans are use to their number one sport being D!. Its no big deal to them to still be playing football in a second fiddle division (AA). Its been stated UND's ultimate goal is FBS. That will get the university truly excited.

I can't believe NDSU waited this long to move to IAA/FCS. In reality NDSU should already be in the WAC. NDSU could already to Boise St. There obsession with UND truly does keep them back.

My argument? My argument that North Dakota resides in the Mountain Standard Time? Thats a fact.

Montana will always go to bat for UND. Even if/when they go to the FBS. Another fact.

I know its a big deal for NDSU fans to be "DI." Hence their football attendance increase.

UND fans are use to their number one sport being D!. Its no big deal to them to still be playing football in a second fiddle division (AA). Its been stated UND's ultimate goal is FBS. That will get the university truly excited.

I can't believe NDSU waited this long to move to IAA/FCS. In reality NDSU should already be in the WAC. NDSU could already to Boise St. There obsession with UND truly does keep them back.

On what rational basis can we call this a fact?

Looks like Boise, Navy, Air Force and Central Florida are getting invites to the Big East - the first three in football only and the last in all sports.

http://sportsillustr...ml?sct=hp_t2_a3

That just looks weird. Shouldn't teams be in conferences that are close to where they are. Boise is going to get jet lagged.

So now what happens with MWC and CUSA and eventually the WAC? Sounds like MWC and CUSA are talking about some kind of merger or scheduling alliance, at least for football. Does the MWC now add USU and SJSU?

Sounds like the MWC and CUSA football merger is a done deal with more this evening.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7102822/mountain-west-conference-usa-announce-football-only-alliance

Try http://collegesportsinfo.com/ There are forums on each conference and lots of speculative blogs referenced.

That site has decent graphics and news feeds, but its forum content isn't that much different from Bleacher Reports.

IMHO, the posters associated with the forums there lack insight: all about geography and not about cultural/alumni/program fit. It's essentially about 10 posters like MplsBison all stating that UND must absolutely positively move to the Summit League. None of them, even after exhaustive explanations, can grasp why UND fits the Big Sky.

The actual board that is most insightful IMHO is this one - NCAAbbs - Lounge - Conference Realignments:

http://ncaabbs.com/f...lay.php?fid=637

Perhaps I'm biased because I have a good reputation there, but a number of insiders, bloggers, TV and media types post regularly there. Since that board contains a whole family of conference and individual school forums, it receives a lot of traffic from all over.

• Upvote 1

Wow a 22 team football league! I guess the sky is the limit.

The CUSA-MWC football-only merger may not last. The announcement was made at the last minute - when word leaked that Boise St, UCF, Houston, and SMU would be getting Big East bids. Those four, especially Boise State, are critical for that merged conference to get off the drawing board.

The BCS Bowls are not at all happy with the Big East situation - UConn only sold like 5000 seats to the Fiesta Bowl last year and was a horrible ratings draw. Cincinnati the previous two years sold tickets, but didn't yield ratings or produce a decent BCS game. TCU was looked at as the savior of the Big East - at least by the BCS Bowls - but with TCU gone, Boise State is the critical component that the Big East needs. Boise State is one of the few remaining non-BCS schools (as well as Navy, Army, and Air Force) that can draw ratings, and is the only one of those that can be competitive for a national championship.

If Mizzou really goes to the SEC (horrible cultural fit IMHO and Mizzou will be a perpetual loser there), and the Big 12 takes two or three Big East teams, the Big East may not survive as a football league. Because a Big East basketball conference may be born, and wholesale restructuring of remaining Big East / CUSA / MWC / WAC / Sunbelt, the next few months may be the most traumatic the lower DI conferences (both football and basketball) have ever experienced.

• Upvote 1

Last time I checked Grand Forks (where they play) is in the Central time zone. I'm glad you know that less than 1/4th (geography that is not population) of the state is in the Mountain time zone. As for Montana alaways going to bat for UND, you know this how?

The Boston Globe, which has broken most of the realignment stories from the Big East, is reporting that the Big East, CUSA, and MWC may form 32 team league with playoffs:

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2011/10/big_east_mwc_c-.html

Under the plan, Super Conference would consist of four divisions: West, Mountain, Central and the Big East.

In the 32-team format, the West Division would consist of Boise State, Hawaii, UNLV, Nevada, Fresno State, San Diego State, Utah State and San Jose State.

The Mountain Division would consist of Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa and Houston.

The Central Division would consist of Marshall, Memphis, Southern Mississippi, Tulane, UAB, Rice, Temple and Louisiana Tech.

And the Big East Division would consist of Louisville, UConn, Rutgers, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, East Carolina and Navy. West Virginia is not included in this plan, with the assumption being the Mountaineers would be headed to the Big 12 to replace Missouri which will presumably wind up in the SEC along with Texas A&M.

The scaled down version of 28 teams would not include San Jose State in the West, move Houston from the Mountain to the Central Division, eliminate Temple and Louisiana Tech from the Central Division and not include Navy in the Big East division.

Technically, that new conference could only have a championship game as an extra game. But, if it creatively scheduled to have a TBD conference opponent during its last weekend for divisional championships (as well as #2's playing each other), this could actually happen.

The BCS conferences might be livid.

The setup would steal three schools from the WAC: Utah State, San Jose St, and La Tech.