SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

They can't go to the WAC since that league sponsors FBS football. Air Force and Boise would have to put their other sports in a league that does not offer FBS football. Only real options are the WCC, Big Sky, and Big West.

The NCAA doesn't forbid an FBS school from playing football in one FBS league and other sports in another FBS league. (The NCAA does have a rule, however, that at least 8 FBS members must play football and 4 other men's sports and 6 other women's sports in that FBS league to continue as a voting FBS league and to maintain the ability to grant FBS status to FCS schools. In this case, Boise St and/or AFA will not count toward the 8 FBS members in either league. The WAC adding Boise St and AFA does not help it get to 8 FBS members.) Typically, FBS leagues themselves do not allow cross-membership because of branding and TV issues. In this case, the Big East simply wants non-basketball members that will bring high ratings in football (Boise St, AFA, Navy), and the WAC wants to be as attractive as possible to add FCS schools.

And still only 3500 seats for basketball.

That facility is "two sheets or one sheet and one 3500 basketball arena".

UND has "two sheets and a 3500 basketball arena".

I get your point and agree but the Ralston Arena sits more than 3500 for basketball. It sits 3500 for hockey and around 4000 for basketball

Fans on both sides don't wanna admit it, but your right. All 4 Dakota schools "need" each other. They need to be the core members of a conference - an all sports conference. Then they get to choose the schools "they" want. Just need to take over a conference: Big Sky. Could have six flagship schools in the dakotas and montana. NDSU can be the first to move. Then when Sac St and Cal Davis leave for FBS ball the SD schools can join.

http://forum.siouxsp..._hl__conference

Clear your cards, thats a good bingo. If it played out that way it would be best for all. Then these sites could light up with" UND got NDSU in" and "NDSU was asked to be in" arguments. :)

But at least they cheer for the same school, unlike Bison fans that cheer for their most hated rival in hockey. Wonder what its like to wear a Bison jersey to a football game, go home and change into a SIoux hockey jersey and hit the interstate. ;)

Well let me tell you as I just completed that trip this last weekend (changed sweatshirts in the car though as i didn't have time to go home :) ). Got to see a very good Bison team beat UNI and then watched the Sioux beat the Huskies (most of it anyway as I got there late). Both venues were full and I had fun watching both teams/games. And before you go thanking a Bison alumni for spending money at a UND hockey game don't cause thats not the case. I'm a ND sports fan that enjoys watching good programs with good tradition/fan bases of which I got to do twice in one day.

• Upvote 2

Well let me tell you as I just completed that trip this last weekend (changed sweatshirts in the car though as i didn't have time to go home :) ). Got to see a very good Bison team beat UNI and then watched the Sioux beat the Huskies (most of it anyway as I got there late). Both venues were full and I had fun watching both teams/games. And before you go thanking a Bison alumni for spending money at a UND hockey game don't cause thats not the case. I'm a ND sports fan that enjoys watching good programs with good tradition/fan bases of which I got to do twice in one day.

I can respect that.

The way you have attacked posters on this board, as if you've been in long discussions with Bisonville posters, you're far from a "neutral" person. So just drop the whole facade.

Back to the topic:

Idaho Statesman: Where will other Boise State sports go?

Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson has said Boise State will not be allowed to house its programs in the conference if the football team departs.

Here are Boise State's Western options (in alphabetical order): Big Sky, Big West, West Coast Conference, Western Athletic Conference.

Note: I guess it's always possible the Broncos could do something like join the Missouri Valley Conference or the Summit league, but I doubt it.

Update: Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton said Wednesday night that Boise State and Air Force have not contacted the conference about housing its non-football teams.

"We have not heard from them. We'd be happy to talk to them," Fullerton said. "Things are happening so quickly, we're going to wait and see what happens." End update

The way you have attacked posters on this board, as if you've been in long discussions with Bisonville posters, you're far from a "neutral" person. So just drop the whole facade.

Back to the topic:

Idaho Statesman: Where will other Boise State sports go?

BSU fans seem delusional about what their real options are. The WAC Is disintegrating, the WCC consists of private schools well above BSU academic standards, and the Big West is a California bus conference with no desire to expand. One commenter suggests that the Big Sky conference is inferior because it's adding Southern Utah and North Dakota, last time I checked we were fairly decent. Boise has a great football program but for how long, we'll find out after Kellen Moore graduates and their coach gets poached by an SEC team Ole Miss or Kentucky.

One commenter suggests that the Big Sky conference is inferior because it's adding Southern Utah and North Dakota, last time I checked we were fairly decent.

Let me get this straight:

Boise State (#67 Regional West*) is complaining about Southern Utah (#71 Regional West**) and North Dakota (#164 NATIONAL***). And UND would be top three academically in the Big Sky. That's rich.

* http://colleges.usne...university-1616

** http://colleges.usne...university-3678

*** http://colleges.usne...rth-dakota-3005

Let me get this straight:

Boise State (#67 Regional West*) is complaining about Southern Utah (#71 Regional West**) and North Dakota (#164 NATIONAL***). And UND would be top three academically in the Big Sky. That's rich.

* http://colleges.usne...university-1616

** http://colleges.usne...university-3678

*** http://colleges.usne...rth-dakota-3005

That commenter must have been a Bison fan...probably Lakes.

Note the Board Member from Moscow, ID (home of WAC member Idaho) tried a motion to delay a decision. The motion failed.

State Board gives Boise its blessing. Boise says they should have a non-football option shortly.

Let is be Big Sky!!! It would be cool to go to a BSU-UND bball game and a BSU home game in the same day and see that blue turf.

https://twitter.com/#!/murphsturph

Idaho Statesmen reporter's twitter play by play of Boise State presentation to State Board

The part I found really interesting is that BSU's president told the board that New Mexico State and La. Tech would leave the WAC for C-USA after the Big East gets done poaching C-USA schools. Utah State and San Jose State will almost certainly receive MWC invites due to the Big East movement meaning that only one of the eight current teams in the WAC (Idaho) would still be there in a couple of years.

The part I found really interesting is that BSU's president told the board that New Mexico State and La. Tech would leave the WAC for C-USA after the Big East gets done poaching C-USA schools. Utah State and San Jose State will almost certainly receive MWC invites due to the Big East movement meaning that only one of the eight current teams in the WAC (Idaho) would still be there in a couple of years.

Part of what the BSU President is attempting to do is to destabilize the WAC football side, IMHO.

As long as UTEP is in CUSA, they will block N Mexico St, as UTEP has always historically done. (UTEP made its move out of the WAC out of disgust once NMSU was admitted.) If NMSU does get admitted to CUSA, UTEP would definitely leave for the MWC. La Tech simply doesn't have the media power to be attractive to CUSA. Memphis - which will be the main power in CUSA - won't want La Tech either. Tulane supposedly is sympathetic to La Tech though, as La Tech housed Tulane's athletic teams in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

If UCF, Houston, and SMU go to the Big East, what seems likely is that CUSA would backfill into the Dallas and Florida markets with North Texas, FIU, and possibly FAU. East Carolina and Marshall also both want a school closer to them to help with travel: Appy St, Charlotte, and Ga State would all be decent adds.

Where La Tech and NM St possibly end up is the Sun Belt. If FAU, FIU, and UNT all leave the Sun Belt, then that conference would abandon Florida and move west to Texas, probably adding La Tech, UTSA, N Mex St, and possibly Texas St.

What the Boise St president really wants is a non-football WAC, with the Big East as the secondary BCS conference in the West. (BYU is rumored to be replacing WVU). With AFA, BYU, and Boise, the three most important western school names in football outside the PAC12 would be in the Big East. The MWC's status would drop to what the WAC's used to be. There's even talk that Boise St may be attempting to get one of San Diego St, Hawaii, or Nevada in the Big East for a true western division. The MWC would also have to add maybe two schools - UTEP, Utah St, or San Jose St. San Jose St would ideally like the same situation as Hawaii: football in the MWC and other sports in the Big West. If the Boise St president can destroy WAC football, then the WAC would become a basketball league: perfect for Boise St.

New WAC:

Boise St (football in Big East)

Air Force (football in Big East)

Idaho (football forced to drop to theBig Sky)

Seattle

Denver

UT-Arlington (if it stays)

Utah Valley St (or Utah St if it doesn't get in the MWC)

Cal St-Bakersfield

N Mex St (if it can only get football in the Sunbelt)

That type conference would be bad for non-football sports in the Big Sky, as much of the western talent would rather go there than the Big Sky.

San Jose St and Utah St in discussions with the Mountain West

http://www.mercurynews.com/sjsu-spartans/ci_19258567

San Jose State and Utah State are "are two institutions that would definitely be on the radar screen," MWC commissioner Craig Thompson told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

San Diego St making overtures to Big East about membership

Could SDSU get into such a (Big East) Western Division? Sterk speculated that it would depend on what happens with Louisville. If the Big 12 wants to expand beyond 10 members, Louisville is expected to be a candidate.

Boise St is reportedly pushing for San Diego St as a Big East football member, as Boise needs to maintain a presence in California for recruiting. Air Force and, especially, Navy would like to see San Diego St included.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/25/sdsu-tries-ride-realignment-wave/

So what is the WAC going to look like if these teams leave....just Idaho to fend for themselves?

That is a good question. At this point if Utah State and SJSU move the the MTN then their best play will be to come back to the Big Sky. I highly doubt conference USA will take them and all of the Sun Belt teams will never want or even afford to travel there. I also doubt the MTN will take them...

That is a good question. At this point if Utah State and SJSU move the the MTN then their best play will be to come back to the Big Sky. I highly doubt conference USA will take them and all of the Sun Belt teams will never want or even afford to travel there. I also doubt the MTN will take them...

The WAC probably lives on as a non-football conference, and Idaho moves football only to the Big Sky. That would create good north/ south divisions.

Idaho screwed up by not meeting the facility standards, especially for a conference where everyone else has much larger stadiums. If Idaho was closer to league like the MAC, the MAC really wouldn't have had a problem with Idaho like Mountain West does. What Idaho really needed (and still may push for) is a bunch of Big Sky schools to move up. The WAC exit fees may really pile up, so whoever is left may get the WAC's treasury as a consolation prize.

When Idaho first moved up, Idaho actually had to use Wazzou's stadium in Pullman to satisfy the FBS then stadium requirements. Maybe that still would be possible, but not sure Wazzou or the Mountain West would go for that.

There's increasingly chatter that CUSA might invite FCS schools like Missouri State and Old Dominion or Charlotte as non-football-playing schools, to help create better defined east and west divisions (and give East Carolina and Tulsa travel partners). The schools invited would have the option of later moving to FBS.