SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

When the Big Sky goes FBS, UND needs to remain the only Dakota school in the Big Sky. NDSU has become fat and happy off high FCS recruits and preferred.walk ons from BIg Ten states (Minn and Wisconsin). UND would get first dibs on those recruits and couldn't afford NDSU and SDSU as an FBS competitors watering down the recruiting base. NDSU and SDSU seem pleased with the Slummit: let them.stay there. FBS is a big jump: no need to water down the recruits.

Ifs and buts were candy and nuts ........

My hat goes off to NDSU, they had a huge year in terms of national media attention and athletic achievement. But it just doesn't make since for struggling FBS conferences to take on that kind of additional travel expenses in all sports to add NDSU. Not that the Bison wouldn't be competitive in either the MAC, MWC, or CUSA, it just wouldn't make sense from a financial standpoint. What we should really be doing is trying to formulate a new FBS conference with the state flagship institutions in our region. UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, MT, MT state, UI, ISU, and throw in Denver and Omaha basketball. A conference like that has a lot more potential to grow than the current state of the MAC, MWC, or CUSA.

ISF, I like your thinking. I, too, think that all of the flagships in ND, MT, SD and ID need to band together for a conference. Is nine the perfect football conference? Maybe a U of NC, St Cloud or EWU for the ninth.

If geography was as important as everyone thinks it is, all the Dakota schools would still be Division 2 and the NCC wouldn't have folded. Having said that, I think FBS is a fools errand for all four Dakota schools. NDSU won't always be this dominant in FCS and would struggle if their whole schedule were FBS teams from year to year. FCS is where the Dakotas belong.

Agreed that geography is not that important. The MW is not a bus league, they fly on most of their trips. How many schools in the Big Sky bus to Grand Forks? FBS schools have more media revenue and higher budgets. If they think a school will add to their conference, geography will not be the make or break deciding factor. Right now, NDSU is looking pretty good in the eyes of conferences. It may be the time to consider pursuing a jump.

ISF, I like your thinking. I, too, think that all of the flagships in ND, MT, SD and ID need to band together for a conference. Is nine the perfect football conference? Maybe a U of NC, St Cloud or EWU for the ninth.

Well, as long as you are dreaming, Wyoming for the 9th team. Then you can see what Klieman can do against Bohl. :)

Agreed that geography is not that important. The MW is not a bus league, they fly on most of their trips. How many schools in the Big Sky bus to Grand Forks? FBS schools have more media revenue and higher budgets. If they think a school will add to their conference, geography will not be the make or break deciding factor. Right now, NDSU is looking pretty good in the eyes of conferences. It may be the time to consider pursuing a jump.

Unfortunately NDSU doesn't have a respectable media market, and a conference like the MAC who's schools run on a very tight budget is definitely going to take into consideration the additional travel expenses. The MWC is most likely looking to add schools in Texas or possibly getting BYU back before looking at NDSU. Again, what NDSU accomplished this year was admirable, but I'm not sure it's enough to entice the MAC or MWC to roll out the red carpet. If you really want to go FBS, best bet is to find teams in your region who want the same thing and can afford to facilitate it.

NDSU doesn't have any offers.except.maybe the WAC, who will anyone invite west of Chicago St. March hasn't changed anything. Other than the WAC, no one has an interest regardless what NDSU fans say. THE MAC would invite a ton of schools.before FU (Albany. STONY Brook, UNH, Delaware, JMU, Ill St, Mo St, and.the whole.eastern Sun Belt.and.CUSA). NDSU will have to wait til.Fargo passes.1 million and.has a bigger stadiuM.

Florida Gulf Coast couldn't parlay two.wins into conference invites: and.they have the population to create interest. NDSU is stuck in the Slummit for.the long term.

How are they looking good in the eyes of conferences? Attendance sure they rival the MAC in football (so does St. Cloud State in Eastern Michigan) but not in the MW, NDSU would be Idaho 2.0, and you see where they ended up (almost back in the BSC for all sports). The men's basketball team is on a high now but how can they keep pumping funds into that and football while letting women's sports go to hell especially to rival MW and MAC teams. It took FU how long to fund the new SHAC...good luck finding extra money to fund an FBS move. Plus you need one thing...AN INVITE!!

How are they looking good in the eyes of conferences? Attendance sure they rival the MAC in football (so does St. Cloud State in Eastern Michigan) but not in the MW, NDSU would be Idaho 2.0, and you see where they ended up (almost back in the BSC for all sports). The men's basketball team is on a high now but how can they keep pumping funds into that and football while letting women's sports go to hell especially to rival MW and MAC teams. It took FU how long to fund the new SHAC...good luck finding extra money to fund an FBS move. Plus you need one thing...AN INVITE!!

Women's athletics don't drive realignment. And where do you get this idea NDSU women sports are going to hell? Half are good, half are bad.

Women's athletics don't drive realignment. And where do you get this idea NDSU women sports are going to hell? Half are good, half are bad.

The ones that make any kind of money (volleyball, basketball) bad and those that don't make a dime that no one cares about (golf, softball, track) are good. Got it.

• Upvote 1

The ones that make any kind of money (volleyball, basketball) bad and those that don't make a dime that no one cares about (golf, softball, track) are good. Got it.

Anytime women's athletics gets brought up....its usually by someone not doing so hot in the sports people care about.

All I can say is wow!!

Let's look at attendance of women's sports vs. Mens. Let's look at what sports are regularly on TV. Facts are facts. America cares about men's athletics. Women's.....Meh. If Notre Dame wins the ladies ball title...they'll be happy... But they'd probably rather have an elite 8 or final 4 in men's ball.

Let's look at attendance of women's sports vs. Mens. Let's look at what sports are regularly on TV. Facts are facts. America cares about men's athletics. Women's.....Meh. If Notre Dame wins the ladies ball title...they'll be happy... But they'd probably rather have an elite 8 or final 4 in men's ball.

Do me a favor walk up to Amy Ruley and tell her women's sports don't mean !@#$. See there are fans like you 1 or 2 sport fan and fans like me who follow and cheer for most of the sports. I don't follow track, swimming, and golf but I follow the rest.

NDSU doesn't have any offers.except.maybe the WAC, who will anyone invite west of Chicago St. March hasn't changed anything. Other than the WAC, no one has an interest regardless what NDSU fans say. THE MAC would invite a ton of schools.before FU (Albany. STONY Brook, UNH, Delaware, JMU, Ill St, Mo St, and.the whole.eastern Sun Belt.and.CUSA). NDSU will have to wait til.Fargo passes.1 million and.has a bigger stadiuM.

Sounds kind of funny coming from someone that claims UND has a secret and imminent invite to go FBS. A school with a much smaller stadium in an area with less than half the population as Fargo. Most teams have to fly into Fargo that play at UND because it is so inconvenient to fly into GFK. UND even flies out of Fargo most of the time. You can spin it however you want, bur NDSU is much more attractive to FBS conferences than UND.

Sounds kind of funny coming from someone that claims UND has a secret and imminent invite to go FBS. A school with a much smaller stadium in an area with less than half the population as Fargo. Most teams have to fly into Fargo that play at UND because it is so inconvenient to fly into GFK. UND even flies out of Fargo most of the time. You can spin it however you want, bur NDSU is much more attractive to FBS conferences than UND.

NEVER said UND would get an FBS invite in and of itself. The Big Sky has finangled to move up as part of a deal with Idaho.and the Sun Belt. UND will.be an undeserved beneficiary. MEANWHILE, bison fans perpetually bash the Big Sky, which is the one conference that could.have elevated FU from a provincial FCS STATUS that Fargo desperately wants out of. Too late.

FCS doesn't have a future except increasing irrelevancy.

NEVER said UND would get an FBS invite in and of itself. The Big Sky has finangled to move up as part of a deal with Idaho.and the Sun Belt. UND will.be an undeserved beneficiary. MEANWHILE, bison fans perpetually bash the Big Sky, which is the one conference that could.have elevated FU from a provincial FCS STATUS that Fargo desperately wants out of. Too late.

FCS doesn't have a future except increasing irrelevancy.

Considering the Big Sky has 2 schools (the Montana Schools) that qualify for FBS by attendance and stadium size, IT"S NOT HAPPENING.

Do me a favor walk up to Amy Ruley and tell her women's sports don't mean !@#$. See there are fans like you 1 or 2 sport fan and fans like me who follow and cheer for most of the sports. I don't follow track, swimming, and golf but I follow the rest.

No.. I'm not a one or two sport fan...I hope all NDSU teams do well. Men's sports drive the bus and to say otherwise is lying to yourself.