SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Thanks for fixing. Should have kept going and added "competes for a national championship that nobdy cares about outside of canada" :)

Do many more care about the FCS championship? I'm not disrespecting FCS; I'm merely observing its relative importance in the sports spectrum.

Do many more care about the FCS championship? I'm not disrespecting FCS; I'm merely observing its relative importance in the sports spectrum.

Very much the same as the highest level of college hockey. Means nothing except to the fans of the schools involved.

Very much the same as the highest level of college hockey. Means nothing except to the fans of the schools involved.

That's exactly the point:

The NCAA FCS Championship means nothing except to fans in places like Fargo, Waterloo, Brookings, Huntsville, Cheney, Grand Forks, Bozeman, Vermillion, Normal, Youngstown, etc.

The NCAA Hockey Championship means nothing except to fans in places like Boston, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Columbus, Ann Arbor, Grand Forks, Lansing, South Bend, University Park, Denver, West Point, Providence, etc.

So, the exposure and media coverage that UND would get from a NCAA FCS National Championship vs a NCAA Hockey National Championship is quite different. The hockey championships are why we've seen very large front page stories in the Boston Globe, New York Times, Minneapolis StarTrib, Denver Post, Columbus Dispatch, Chicago Tribune, Wall Street Journal, Wisconsin State Journal & Detroit Free Press about the University of North Dakota.

It will be great when UND wins a few FCS championships because then we'll get coverage in those smaller markets plus our continuing great coverage in the large markets. :)

• Upvote 4

The NCAA FCS Championship means nothing except to fans in places like Fargo, Waterloo, Brookings, Huntsville, Cheney, Grand Forks, Bozeman, Vermillion, Normal, Youngstown, etc.

The NCAA Hockey Championship means nothing except to fans in places like Boston, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Columbus, Ann Arbor, Grand Forks, Lansing, South Bend, University Park, Denver, West Point, Providence, etc.

So, the exposure and media coverage that UND would get from a NCAA FCS National Championship vs a NCAA Hockey National Championship is quite different. The hockey championships are why we've seen very large front page stories in the Boston Globe, New York Times, Minneapolis StarTrib, Denver Post, Columbus Dispatch, Chicago Tribune, Wall Street Journal, Wisconsin State Journal & Detroit Free Press about the University of North Dakota.

It will be great when UND wins a few FCS championships because then we'll get coverage in those smaller markets plus our continuing great coverage in the large markets. :)

:silly:

fcs quarters through championship are on espn networks along with some regular season games on ESPNU. speaking of larger networks... college hockey frozen four and title are on espn 2/U

Wouldn't hold your breath on those championships...at the rate UND is winning them, it'll be in the early 2100's before they get another ;)

Honestly though, if you want to compare coverage between the school marquee sports...you probably won't get anywhere. hockey is obviously a popular sport in a few markets. UND has a great chance at getting some coverage in those markets...small pool of teams=small pool of competition for that coverage. Football is big everywhere in the United States. NDSU has managed to get more than enough coverage in that area.

Please add your list of like-minded schools that were competing for your last two national championships.

Teams that beat teams that have run UND out of their own building. I will never understand for the life of me why some UND fans trash on the very group of schools that have been demolishing them since they moved up. If you don't have respect for the FCS, you are basically advocating for UND to go back to Division II.

:silly:

fcs quarters through championship are on espn networks along with some regular season games on ESPNU. speaking of larger networks... college hockey frozen four and title are on espn 2/U

NCAA Division I hockey championship game is always on ESPN the original (6 pm on the Saturday after the NCAA Division I basketball final), the semi-finals on ESPN 2, and the regionals are either on ESPNU or are often sold to regional broadcasters like Fox Sports North. http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2013/04/2013-ncaa-division-i-college-hockey.html

NCAA Division I hockey championship game is always on ESPN the original (6 pm on the Saturday after the NCAA Division I basketball final), the semi-finals on ESPN 2, and the regionals are either on ESPNU or are often sold to regional broadcasters like Fox Sports North. http://ndgoon.blogsp...ege-hockey.html

bickering about what channel the title game is on is just silly. They are relatively similar....ESPN and ESPN 2 are carried by basically everyone, no?

All I know is I continue to find it hilarious that some folks here pimp hockey so much despite the fact the university made an extremely risky move based on ONE sport....and that sport....is football. America's Game.

bickering about what channel the title game is on is just silly. They are relatively similar....ESPN and ESPN 2 are carried by basically everyone, no?

All I know is I continue to find it hilarious that some folks here pimp hockey so much despite the fact the university made an extremely risky move based on ONE sport....and that sport....is football. America's Game.

He made an incorrect statement and I corrected him. I don't call that bickering. And if you don't want to see people pimp hockey, I would tell you not to read a sports forum for a school that has one of the top college hockey programs in the country. That would be like telling NDSUAAS fans not to pimp football.
  • Upvote 1

The only front page stories regarding -ND in big market newspapers are about the nickname fiasco. You can have that publicity :)

This is a stupid argument. We all know that IF North Dakota makes the regionals, it is 50-50 at best that they'll only be available online on ESPN3. That is how it is every year. If we advance, we'll probably miss most of the 1st period for a frickin' Lacrosse game. NDSU football has been on Fox College Sports and Fox Sports 1 this past regular season. UND hockey will be on CBSSN, maybe NBCSN I don't know. It's a wash. Most of NDSU's games are available locally to most North Dakotans. Not so much for UND hockey anymore..........................

• Upvote 1

How many regular season und hockey games are on national TV vs football at ndsu?

UND hockey

National: 8/36 = .222 (CBSSN, NBCSN)

Any: 26/36 = .722 (MidcoSN, Root)

NDSU football

National: 4/11 = .367 (FS1, FCS)

Any: 11/11 = 1.000 (NBCND, FSNorth(+), MidcoSN)

Think I got it right. Didn't count exhibitions, post-season, or internet streams. If you count PPV(ESPN GamePlan), then NDSU's national number jumps to 8/11(.727).

I count only NBCSN, ESPNs, FS1, Roots, and CBSCS as national games. Now how many games have the Bison been on now?

Please elaborate. If you only count them then it must be right ;) Or maybe you only count channels you actually have watched _ND on? Roots?? Never even turned it on. You consider all the ESPNs national but not all the Fox channels?? Why not the BiG 10 channel? I get it ..... Must not be right next to each other on your channel guide.

BTW the Bison are on ESPN this weekend

Please elaborate. If you only count them then it must be right ;) Or maybe you only count channels you actually have watched _ND on? Roots?? Never even turned it on. You consider all the ESPNs national but not all the Fox channels?? Why not the BiG 10 channel? I get it ..... Must not be right next to each other on your channel guide.

BTW the Bison are on ESPN this weekend

FS1 is the only national Fox channel. The rest are regional.