SiouxSports.com Forum

Ice Breaker Tourney

AZSIOUX

I liked the team I saw the last 9 minutes of the game. The first 51 minutes was extremely sluggish by the Sioux IMHO. All credit to Air Force though, they played a tremendous game, and I think you'll see them in the NCAA tournament again.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think they'd be a bad choice for another team in the new conference. People can hate on them all you want, but they'd compete in the league.

As suspected with being the first collegiate game of the season, pretty sloppy yet the Sioux dug in and earned the win. Much respect for Coach Serratore and the Air Force Academy. Both teams are young and this game could've been won by either team.

@Wilbur: People were hating on AFA in regards to the NCHC? :ohmy: I think they'd be a solid addition but no one considers AFA because they are attached to the hip with Army in the Atlantic Hockey Conference.

Just want to apologize. When the Sioux were down, I noticed that I had NOT put up my Fighting Sioux hockey player ornaments and bobblehead along with the UND pennant on my fireplace mantlepiece yet this year. I immediately put them up and they scored the final two goals and won.

My bad. Won't happen again! :lol:

It's good to get a win, however - I'm not a real fan of the "standing around" school of defense. I felt we got out hustled and out hit. I was very disappointed in our play tonight.

Agreed. Ben Blood was on the ice for the first two goals, and looked like he was forcing it a bit. Kind of a gut check game for the d corps tomorrow. The goaltending and defense was supposed to be the foundation, tonight they looked pretty average.

First game though.....BC will be an excellent early test.

So far tonight the WCHA is 7-1 with an OT lost and wins over #1 and #2 in the country...

So far tonight the WCHA is 8-1 with an OT lost and wins over #1 and #2 in the country... Very Impressive start... This is the time where your league can build a Pairwise edge.

Just want to apologize. When the Sioux were down, I noticed that I had NOT put up my Fighting Sioux hockey player ornaments and bobblehead along with the UND pennant on my fireplace mantlepiece yet this year. I immediately put them up and they scored the final two goals and won.

My bad. Won't happen again! :lol:

I didn't have a beer during the game tonight guys. I'm sorry. I had a headache. I know the boys always play better when I have a beer during the game. I will have a beer at the Ralph tomorrow.

In regards to tomorrow's game against Boston College...I can either see us eeking out a win or getting lit up which tends to happen whenever we play BC.

BC looked average in their game. I think it'll be another close one. Hopefully our home ice advantage can turn the tide in our favor.

The 1st line will need to do the majority of the work this year... you can really tell were missing that physical presence of the likes of Hextall, Frattin, Malone up front, being physical is the Sioux's trademark as a team and the forwards just dont look as physical as were used to. The team was getting pushed off the puck for the majority of the first two periods. It'll be interesting to see how Grimaldi's presence impacts this teams offense.

The 1st line will need to do the majority of the work this year... you can really tell were missing that physical presence of the likes of Hextall, Frattin, Malone up front, being physical is the Sioux's trademark as a team and the forwards just dont look as physical as were used to. The team was getting pushed off the puck for the majority of the first two periods. It'll be interesting to see how Grimaldi's presence impacts this teams offense.

I don't mean to come across badly here... but it was the first game! Do you honestly think the rest of our team isn't capable of doing any offensive damage down the road? That first line is not going to be our only scoring threat. There's a reason why this team is a work in progress. We were spoiled last year with the team we had. Our coaching staff will evaluate and solve the problems as the season goes on.

A few impressions of game one:

1. Anyone who beats Air Force has achieved something worthwhile. They are good on their skates and play good team hockey.

2. For the first time in oh, let's say years, we struggled with defensive zone coverage. The defensemen were generally good, although someone (I'll leave unnamed) overskated a puck in front of Dell that led to a AFA goal. But my observation was around team defense, and the large change in forwards combined with the lack of game experience meant there were more openings and gaps than I saw at any time in the last two seasons.

3. That said, UND fans should have every reason to expect a solid team defense emerge as the season goes on. The rookies are strong on their skates, read plays, and not afraid to mix it up. That goes for all of tonights freshmen. Prototypical Sioux forwards in the making.

5. Dell was good. An unfortunate bounce led to one goal. And he made the game saving stop in the 3rd period (either AFA was up one or it was tied), getting a left pad out on an attempt from inside the crease. Phenomenal goaltending. Maybe I take his night in night out excellence a bit for granted.

6. Up front, pretty much what we were predicting in the offseason.

7. Top line needs a nickname fast, because they will be pulling down the headlines all season long. Kristo is much improved, with puck distribution especially better. Combined with his incredible soft hands and slippery skating, he will be on a lot of highlight reels. Knight showed some great hands too with that first goal, batted out of the air. He won a lot of faceoffs tonight, and expect that to continue. Nelson looks a lot quicker - last year he had a lot of great ideas but didn't get them executed in time; tonight he showed a lot more quickness. All three could be Hobey Baker top ten before its all said and done.

8. Rowney looks better and faster. Mario looked good. Rodwell was quiet, except for a number of body checks delivered. Third and fourth lines need some game time experience. Too bad we jump right into the fire, because there is a lot to like there but they did struggle at times with AFA's puck possession. A bit too ready to throw the puck backward into the slot without a clear target; I expect to see more cycling / riding time from these lines in future games.

9. On the road, we will have to mix up the lines (or suffer the consequences of getting mismatched).

10. We miss Grimaldi. Pretty thin on playmaking after that top line.

11. Boston College also looks to have some holes, but will be formidable. Both UND and BC might be there at the end but I expect both to get dealt some harsh losses during the regular season. Michigan State lacks skilled players / finishers / but has solid skaters and defense. Expect BC near the top of HEA and Michigan State to finish 3rd quartile of CCHA. Expect AFA to be at the top of AHA again.

12. As to the Sioux, we looked better than I expected at times, and worse than I feared at others. The nights of dominating start to finish will be a lot less common, so we have to keep watching for progress and the build of systems and talent over the first 20 games. I predict another later-season run.

13. To Saturday, I predict UND and BC will be essentially even. Someone gets a bounce, or someone makes a great play to win it.

14. I'm dang glad its October.

• Upvote 3

8700 at the game? Really? I'm in the Cities for soccer but that no problem finding someone to use my seats. Suprised by announced small crowd.

A win is a win... a buddy was texting me during game. Sounds like it was a decent effort for a young team.