SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

So I was listening to the UND coaches show on Wednesday night and I heard something very telling. When talking to Muss about the loss, he came up with all sorts of reasons like turnovers, our players didn't play up to their potential, our QB is young, etc. Later they talked to Ashley Hardee. UND Volleyball was coming off their first Big Sky loss at N. Arizona. He mentioned a few things that attributed to the loss. But one thing that he did was but part of the blame on himself and his coaches.

My question is has Muss ever put blame on himself or coaching staff for loses they have had? Always seems to be the tough schedule, injuries, inexperience at certain positions, etc. While it is certainly not all the coaches fault for loses, it was refreshing to here Hardee man up and admit when he was out coached. Also disturbing to see Muss make excuses and not put any blame on himself and the other coaches.

Mussman is notorious for his arrogance, particularly towards the players.

My bad you guys got it right, this tough season means we won't get any quality recruits, (even if they were interested the staff is so clueless they don't know who to recruit), the staff and UND admin needs to hear trash talk from you to know what is best for the program, so keep trashing the team, the coaches the players you are spot on genuises, beat down anyone who has a different opinion, make fun of your fellow UND fans and their postings every chance you get as that is a sure way to make sure only like-minded rubes post here and of course there is only one right opinion, yours. I bow to your intelligence and class. I'm sure I'll get to enjoy your posts in hockey and basketball once the team loses a game or two and every year football doesn't meet your expecations. Keep up the good work sharing your support for UND sports programs and their student athletes in your own special way.

I do respect that you have a different opinion on this situation than other supporters that post on this board. Diversity eventually promotes productivity.

Serious Question: I believe you would agree that this year's team is not very good and hasn't lived up to the expectations of the conference (picked 7th by coaching poll) and the University support system. So, with that said, what is the source of the current problem?

I'm just curious and also interested in hearing your response.

I do respect that you have a different opinion on this situation than other supporters that post on this board. Diversity eventually promotes productivity.

Serious Question: I believe you would agree that this year's team is not very good and hasn't lived up to the expectations of the conference (picked 7th by coaching poll) and the University support system. So, with that said, what is the source of the current problem?

I'm just curious and also interested in hearing your response.

I'll PM you.

I'll PM you.

So you were asked a very simple question as to your views as it relates to this topic, thread and scenario and you go with a PM? And this after you took offense to most every other poster who has had enough of Muss and had the stones to post those thoughts here? Wow...

• Upvote 2

Just checked the last email sent/received from gene. Sent at 10:47 am. Reply at 11:04 am. Does a much better job staying on top of emails than I do....oofda.

i still have emails from July to answer. :)

No offense to Muss, I am sure he’s a great guy, but this football team is God awful, they would probably have trouble beating Bemidji State right now. I could see them losing to a few NSIC and top end Division II teams this season.

I have seen enough to make my stomach hurt. I was on hand for two of the games and the Montana game was absolutely brutal, there’s no excuse for that. There’s no reason we can compete with Montana and Montana State in football. I don’t think that it’s unacceptable to expect UND to compete in the Big Sky Conference at high level. A change is needed.

I don’t think it makes us any less of a fan to expect big things from this school in Football. Men’s Basketball and Women’s Volleyball are already doing well in the Big Sky.

Here’s a few of the basic things that I saw this year from the offense and defense, either on TV or in person.

Outside contain horrible.

No pass rush at all, zero.

The Inability to stop a team on third down, either passing or run defense.

Giving up big plays when it’s third and long.

The long fourth down run against SDSU. No one touched Zeller.

Secondary looked like they were slow and old.

Having trouble throwing the ball to the right reciever.

Missing blocking schemes.

Edited by Goon

2-6.....Three games left.

NAU....@NAU....that is 100 percent a loss for this team....2-7.

UNC.....Toss up....last home game for the seniors. Maybe they'll be pumped up?

Davis....@ Davis....loss.

So the best they could finish is likely 3-8......

Okay, I have sat back and read this forum for well over a year. Time has come for my response and opinion. My nephew currently plays on the team. I have followed Sioux football for many, many years. I feel I have some pretty honest opinions to offer up. First, "geaux-sioux", I WILL NOT give you my nephew's name because I know you will ask.

First, addressing earlier comments about players actions.....yes, there have been several boys recently cited for MIP and no, there have been no repercussions. Yes, one player had to sit out a game this year because he basically quit during fall camp and went home. Upon his return he had his ass kissed and is treated with kid gloves. The players have not been drug tested once this season! My understanding is that a test without warning would most likely nail a few boys. It is shocking to me that the program hasn't randomly tested once all year.

Mussman is definitely not a motivator...period. He has not given an emotional speech in 5 years. Everything is a business approach. Emotion plays a huge part of the game and I can guarantee that every player would confirm that Mussman is absolutely NOT an emotional leader. He has also surrounded himself with a bunch of sub par coaches ( maybe to protect himself). Schluesner is awful! He seems to be so worried about getting the ball to Hardin and Jackson that he can't think outside of that box. I mean who doesn't know Jackson is running the ball when he lines up back there. How many times can you pound 150 pound Miller up the middle? Garmin must have a special place in Mussman's heart although his fumbling has finally minimized his play. I'm sure he's a great kid, but he's five foot nothing and goes down too easily. Sadly, you have a young, inexperienced O-coordinator leading two young QB's.

The defense is not much improved over last year. I still have not seen a team who tackles so poorly. It's embarrassing. And, I haven't seen a worse group of defensive backs on any one team. Yet as bad as they are, they act like they are all "all conference". Maybe part of their issue is not realizing that they are very bad. The defense is also very under-sized and it shows all too often.

Coaching in general needs to be improved. Too many wasted time outs (and many have come some to get Jackson set up to run his play), too many penalties, too many dropped passes, too many turnovers, and too many mental mistakes. If you watched today's game, you saw a punter who dropped a perfect snap, panicked, and took off running. He has ample time to kick the ball but instead was tackled short of the first down. He obviously has not been coached how to handle that situation. Coaching can't be blamed for everything, but you have to start somewhere. These are their recruits....

Personally, I do think its time to fire Muss and start fresh. He has proven nothing and is not the leader these boys need. His staff needs to be shown the door as well. It is nothing personal, the program needs new direction. They need a coach who demands discipline and accountability. They need assistants who are respected and aren't worried about being "one of the guys". They need to focus recruiting North Dakota hard. Mr. Faison, show some guts and find a proven leader.

Can't disagree with most of this post. And no I wasn't planning on asking who your nephew is.