SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Then why do head coaches get paid so much? Maybe you think that is how it should work, but that is not how human beings are wired. A team takes on the personality of the head coach. Mussman apparently does not have the respect of the locker room and once you lose that, you have lost your team and nothing you say will change anything. The players respected Lennon, they respected Thomas. I know Dean Blais was respected by his players because he had standards and expectations that he expected the players to live up to. Same with Gene Roebuck. Same with Brian Idalski. Based on all the personal foul penalties, sloppy play, sideline antics when we are down 40 points at home, it is obvious Mussman has lost the team and I don't think he can get it back. I do not doubt that Mussman could succeed someplace else as a coordinator, but I don't think he is head coaching material.

I don't disagree with most of your post but as an athlete if you need someone to get in your face to be excited to go out and hit someone and play one of the most fun sports out there at a high level then you need to get your pulse checked. I was ready to go for every game of every sport I ever played and didn't need anyone pumping me up because I was always excited to go out and have fun. Should Mussman do a better job of motivating his team? Yes. Should he have to for his team to be ready to play? No. Both parties are in the wrong here.

I think Faison is a $$$$ and sense guy, more than anything. If you look at the current staff, with the exception of Mussman, it's pretty green in terms of coaching experience. To me that translates into what Faison has been willing to pay the football staff since he's been here. He's had numerous opportunities to pull in serious D1 experience to the staff, but that hasn't happened. The staff hires and promotions over his years have been mostly young and inexperienced.

If you blow up the staff, I just don't see him giving big, or even adequate money for a quality outside hire. If he's forced to dump Muss, I'll put money on the new head coach coming from current staff. 20% UND loyalty, but 80% due to money. But, don't look for any instant improvement when that happens. I still tend to believe Faison gives the current staff another year, because lower attendance is still cheaper than the alternative for him.

Faisons track record shows that he will go out and find a good coach and pay them well if they deserve it. There's no way he's so incompetent that he would promote anyone on the current staff. The only candidate would be Kotelnicki who would not be ready in my opinion. He's still getting settled as a DC and is showing promise but that's totally different from being ready to be a HC.

I emailed faison about 15 times...only persob with eniugh to email me back is brian jones and jason shay...all the other coaches think they are too big and bad for me

Thats odd, on the occasion I have emailed Mr. Taylor I have gotten a response back within an hour or so.

I don't disagree with most of your post but as an athlete if you need someone to get in your face to be excited to go out and hit someone and play one of the most fun sports out there at a high level then you need to get your pulse checked. I was ready to go for every game of every sport I ever played and didn't need anyone pumping me up because I was always excited to go out and have fun. Should Mussman do a better job of motivating his team? Yes. Should he have to for his team to be ready to play? No. Both parties are in the wrong here.

Then maybe Mussman recruited the wrong kind of kids to play here. It isn't all about athleticism.

For what it's worth, it might also be argued that Pat Behrns wasn't quite ready to lead the Sioux as head coach when he was at UND as well. However, after moving to Nebraska-Omaha his coaching record improved immeasurably, including beating his old team on a number of painful occasions (to Sioux fans, at least).

I agree that Behrns was too young when he was promoted here--29 or 30. But Muss was about 40 when he took over, and is now about 45. I don't think youth or inexperience is his problem as it may have been with Behrns.

Am I wrong, that it wasn't all that long ago when a certain portion of Bisonville was ready willing and able to throw Bohl under the bus. Now look.

The big difference though is that when Bohl had his really bad year, he had a 45-16 career record prior to that year, and they weren't getting blown out. This has been the kind of season any sixth-year head coach would have an extremely difficult time surviving. I just don't think Muss has built up anywhere near the equity that would be necessary to pull it off.

How can we fire faison if he gives muss another year?

UND won't fire Faison and he shouldn't be fired if you looked what he has done with UND athletics as a whole. He got us into the BSC and the NCHC, he improved our men's basketball and women's volleyball teams with good coaches. Hak is still there because he has gotten UND in the playoffs every year he has been there. Baseball is now in an auto bid conference of the WAC. Only women's basketball and football are on the decline hopefully Brewster can improve in his second season so that leaves football and the Muss question. I think Faison jumped the gun after the GWFC title in giving muss the extention but he thought like the rest of us this team was on the upswing I am sure he (and the rest of us) regret that extention. So fire Muss yes, fire Faison no.

I agree that Behrns was too young when he was promoted here--29 or 30. But Muss was about 40 when he took over, and is now about 45. I don't think youth or inexperience is his problem as it may have been with Behrns.

Minnesota's Murray Warmath came to Minnesota at the beginning of the 1954 football season. His two-year record as head coach at Mississippi State was 10-6-3. Warmath was 41 years old when he took over as head coach of the Gophers. Warmath's 1954 Minnesota eleven posted a 7-2 record, followed by a 3-6 season in 1955. In 1956, Minnesota went 6-1-2, losing only to Iowa in the Big Ten. That 7-0 loss to the Hawkeyes cost the Gophers a Rose Bowl trip. Then came three straight years of mediocrity, 4-5 in 1957, 1-8 in 1958 and 2-7 in 1959. Gophers finished last in the Big Ten in 1959. In 1960, Gophers tied Iowa for the Big Ten title and went to the Rose Bowl where they were defeated by Washington 17-7. However, because polls were taken before the bowl games then, Gophers wound up with the national championship in both the AP and UPI polls. Minnesota the next year defeated UCLA in the 1962 Rose Bowl following the 1961 season.

The big difference though is that when Bohl had his really bad year, he had a 45-16 career record prior to that year, and they weren't getting blown out. This has been the kind of season any sixth-year head coach would have an extremely difficult time surviving. I just don't think Muss has built up anywhere near the equity that would be necessary to pull it off.