SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Come on everybody, Muss isn't to blame here. The blowout against Montana was obviously caused by player errors and lack of support from the fans. Montana was really good so we should've never expected our team to actually compete with them. We really need to lower our expectations, I mean, this is only Muss's 6th year so I don't know why anybody would expect his team to be able to compete with other teams that are actually good. If we give him 3 more years he'll get it figured out. Also, if we fire Muss, who would we hire? It's not like there are any other football coaches out there who might be looking for more money or a program to put their stamp on.

• Upvote 4

The poster was calling for the DC's head. The entire staff will have the chance to put in a full body of work for the 2013 season. I wish I shared your optimism.

I'm thinking that Coach K. will bring about a slow but steady improvement in the D this season and then, as his system/changes become ingrained, we'll be a middle-of-the Big Sky D next season, and one of the top defenses in the BSC by 2015. He'll have to add 2 or 3 (top) new parts each season in order to accomplish that.

It's not just that we got beat by a better team or that we still have a ways to go in our transtition. We got absolutely pounded in our own house in Mussman's 6th year. We got pounded in part because of undiciplined penalties (again) blown coverages, arm tackling, and total lack of line play. Add to this the sideline clowning and Muss's press conference and you have a real cluster. It's not we played a hard, smart game and just got beat by superior talent. If the Sioux nation is happy with this kind of program then get ready for a lost decade or more of Sioux football while the team to the south wins championships.

Let me be clear...I'm not happy with the game outcomes...period. But, I don't think we need to cut off our nose to spite our face...We all know that trying to replace Mussman with a new coach is not going to happen at this point in the season...it might feel good, but the results are going to be no different than playing him out for the season and dismissing him at the end.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is responsible. The young players for being immature. The strength coaches for not being all over that. The coaches for not making expectations crystal clear before the season for sideline conduct. The older players for not putting an end to it. The captains for the same reason. All it takes is one upperclassman to freak !@#$ on a freshman or whomever and it will end very quickly.

Hope this happens.

I spoke with Coach K, last year about the D - off the record. He was candid in admitting that we were no where near where we needed to be with the athletes on Defense and this was long before he was the DC. We don't have a pass-rush and no one that I see with the current skill set to do so. We looked slow off the ball and then did nothing once we drew contact with the o-line. DB's can cover, but choose to do there own thing far too often. That's an attitude thing and a team thing. Team leaders need to set that straight and hold each other accountable. Football is a great team sport, between penalties and stupid, selfish mistakes we don't play that way. The recruiting needs to be better on the defensive side of the ball and I agree Coach K is the right guy, but needs the time to make those changes. Hopefully Muss gets the time to let him do that, cause if he goes I think the whole staff will. Say what you want about Lennon - I love the guy, but his style would be even worse in the Big Sky. He might be more conservative than Muss.

Most of us drank the Kool-Aid and thought that we could be a playoff team - we are not. Sadly with freshman QB's, no run game and no pass rush it will be a long year...

Let me be clear...I'm not happy with the game outcomes...period. But, I don't think we need to cut off our nose to spite our face...We all know that trying to replace Mussman with a new coach is not going to happen at this point in the season...it might feel good, but the results are going to be no different than playing him out for the season and dismissing him at the end.

I agree with you there. I've clearly stated I don't think he's the answer, but you can't fire him now. The earliest is with only a couple games left. Then you let Kotelnicki give it a trial run and open up the job up.

For the record, I really like Kotelnicki. His special teams were Beamer-ballesque. Just unreal how you could almost count on a blocked kick a game the Dan Hendrickson/Goska year. That isn't an accident. Even though he is defensive coordinator, the defense isn't his fault right now, IMO. I don't think he gets full ownership of that only a spring and 3 games in.

Darryl Brown and Kuksa are clearly in a different class when compared to the rest of our DBs.

Look no further than the former DB coach as to why the upper classmen in the secondary are the weak links. He refused to go out and recruit Minneapolis, which was his territory, and then would always say he would go out and find some after signing day. Well, we saw how this has turned out. They didn't get a good safety for three years and the corners they got were bad players that were never signed by anyone else. Now we have partial schollie guys, former corners who were no good, a juco, and walk-ons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me it wasn't all that long ago when NDSU had what was for them a horrible season (3-8 sound right?) and Bison fans were ready to throw Bohl and Vigen under the bus. Now some of these same fans are ready to order busts of said same to rise up out of the ground by the Fargodome. What happened? Well, we all know what happened. Let's not be hasty.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me it wasn't all that long ago when NDSU had what was for them a horrible season (3-8 sound right?) and Bison fans were ready to throw Bohl and Vigen under the bus. Now some of these same fans are ready to order busts of said same to rise up out of the ground by the Fargodome. What happened? Well, we all know what happened. Let's not be hasty.

They did not get blown out of their own building that season to the tune that we witnessed Saturday night. I just don't think it's a valid comparison.

Too bad all the great football minds hang out in chat rooms and aren't able to break into coaching and athletic department management. Ironic how so many like to blame recruiting as one of the problems then threads like this, which we all know potential recruits read, are never ending.

That team was never blown out:

at Iowa St - L 17-34

at Sam Houston St - L 45-48

vs Wagner - W

at S Illinois - L 14-24

vs Illinois St - L 24-27

vs N Iowa - L 27-42

at SDSU - L 13-28

vs Missouri St - L 17-21

at W Illinois - W

at Indiana St - W

vs Youngstown St - L 35-39

Also, Bohl led them to 10-1 seasons in 2006 and 2007 and had wins over FBS teams.

• Upvote 2

That team was never blown out:

at Iowa St - L 17-34

at Sam Houston St - L 45-48

vs Wagner - W

at S Illinois - L 14-24

vs Illinois St - L 24-27

vs N Iowa - L 27-42

at SDSU - L 13-28

vs Missouri St - L 17-21

at W Illinois - W

at Indiana St - W

vs Youngstown St - L 35-39

Also, Bohl led them to 10-1 seasons in 2006 and 2007 and had wins over FBS teams.

Take it to Bisonswille.A loss is a loss.

Too bad all the great football minds hang out in chat rooms and aren't able to break into coaching and athletic department management. Ironic how so many like to blame recruiting as one of the problems then threads like this, which we all know potential recruits read, are never ending.

Let's put filters on Twitter, the ESPN box scores, and Mussman's post-game pressers while we're at it. Good Lord.

Their ship was righted very quickly - ours continues to founder. It took them one year to get things straight - Plus Bohl had two 10-1 win seasons and some signature wins as credit - he still got blasted for that season. Their next 3 seasons were national quarterfinals, title, title. Anyone here think we are on the same track?

IF there had been any prior glimpses of hope in the Muss era, most of this talk wouldn't be going on but when you are well under .500 vs. all FCS teams, have zero wins vs. FBS or for that matter vs. playoff FCS team, you lose to Sioux Falls, and you consistently get thumped by the upper crust of the BS...all while your "rival" to the south is piling up NCs...someone has to be held accountable not allowed to have more rope!

Yeah, all the negativity over there post-2009 season sure put a damper on Bohl's recruiting. Give me an ever lovin' break.

Just don't see the need to discuss FU in a UND football thread - don't the trolls bring enough of that?

NDSU never got blown-out that season. Plus, it followed some unbelievably good seasons. As Jules would say, it ain't in the same (bleepin) ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same (bleepin) sport.

Well, I guess it's the same sport, but you get the idea.

NDSU never got blown-out that season. Plus, it followed some unbelievably good seasons. As Jules would say, it ain't in the same (bleepin) ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same (bleepin) sport.

Well, I guess it's the same sport, but you get the idea.

NDSU did get blown out that season by Indiana State 56-17... They also went 1-4 in the dome that year... Not defending this programs horrible performance last week, but it does prove that the right coach can turn a program around very fast. I personally do not think Muss is capable, however.

NDSU did get blown out that season by Indiana State 56-17... They also went 1-4 in the dome that year... Not defending this programs horrible performance last week, but it does prove that the right coach can turn a program around very fast. I personally do not think Muss is capable, however.

Ummm....no. That didn't happen. They beat ISU 56-17.

Ummm....no. That didn't happen. They beat ISU 56-17.

Oops, read that wrong.. either way, the main point remains the same. The program made a remarkable turnaround, and I see no reason why UND can't do something similar. It will be harder to recruit players with NDSU and SDSU in the region, but I think a new coach with some buzz around him, and showing off a brand new IPF could help quite a bit.

It is worth being repeated, both Bohl and Vigen were absolutely blasted all year by their fans, even coming off the '06 and '07 years.

Muss' doesn't even have that equity built up, so I'd say the heat he's taking now is fairly reasonable.