SiouxSports.com Forum

Opener Attendance

bincitysioux

39 members have voted

1. 1. Over or Under 10,000

• Over 10,000
    • Under 10,000

13,500 with suites

So I heard all this complaining during the nickname debate about getting into a new conference and how great it would be mainly for a sport that can't sell out a home opener and is 4,000 seats empty for that opener. Someone please tell me again why it was a good idea to sell-out for that Big Sky conference? I know people say it is not just about hockey but in this case, hockey drives the money. I just think it was the wrong attitude to take. I also now I will get ripped for this but oh well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

So I heard all this complaining during the nickname debate about getting into a new conference and how great it would be mainly for a sport that can't sell out a home opener and is 4,000 seats empty for that opener. Someone please tell me again why it was a good idea to sell-out for that Big Sky conference? I know people say it is not just about hockey but in this case, hockey drives the money. I just think it was the wrong attitude to take. I also now I will get ripped for this but oh well.

Not in the new conference yet or even eligible for playoffs. Sioux fans have been spoiled by D2 success and the fans will come around once we have something to play for. Explain how we "sold out for the Big Sky"? You buddies with dumba$$ carlson by chance?

Not sure what you mean by that. What connection are you misinterpreting between the Drake game yesterday and the sports that will be joining the Big Sky?

Wow, all I can do is shake my head. I think your going to get ripped cause of the misinformation in your post, not because of your opinion on the subject. Probably a good idea to wait until we are actually in the Big Sky conference before judging the nickname idea. Crowds like this and worse are what you can expect without the Big Sky Conference.

Hmmm, let me ponder would it better to keep the name and have no conference for the majority of our sports, be blackballed by some schools and have attendance that would rival high school football or would it be better to be in the Big Sky and have something to play for, have top quality teams playing in GF and get folks excited? Hmmm, this one is tough.

You do know, 7>5, that UND isn't in the Big Sky until next year?? You deserve to get ripped.

Tom Miller was correct in his article in the Herald about attendance. In my opinion this program is extremely lucky to get a "do over" this year in terms of having a fired up crowd, especially the students after driving all but the most die hard fans and most of the students away with their play last year. Although a win is a win, I saw little yesterday to make me believe that we can hold the enthusiasm this year. When we play a team on our level who does give scholarships we need to step it up. In addition, our schemes on both sides of the ball leave little to get excited about. We had some nice hits and individual plays, but Mussman's teams are really in search of an identity. I hope they find one soon.

No I know that they are not in the Big Sky yet, I am just very surprised that the attendance is no poor for a home opener. What I meant by "Sold-Out" is that, I heard a lot of people saying just get rid of the name to make sure UND gets into the Big Sky conference, but when you can't sell out your home opener what is the point. Now I watched the game and cheered for the Sioux to win last night but I guess I was just a little shocked by the lack of attendance. Oh and I am quit versed in subject of the nickname issue.

No I know that they are not in the Big Sky yet, I am just very surprised that the attendance is no poor for a home opener. What I meant by "Sold-Out" is that, I heard a lot of people saying just get rid of the name to make sure UND gets into the Big Sky conference, but when you can't sell out your home opener what is the point. Now I watched the game and cheered for the Sioux to win last night but I guess I was just a little shocked by the lack of attendance. Oh and I am quit versed in subject of the nickname issue.

Being in the BSC and being 1 year from the BSC is two different things. Even if the name was safe (last year) the attendance wouldn't have been greater. We had under 10,000 last home opener and its for the same reason...transition. Everyone knew attendance wouldn't be that great this year and its understandable. Wait til next year before you judge attendance.

You make the point for exactly why we need to be in the Big Sky. We need to have a conference, something to play for and build some rivalries or we will continue to see crowds like this or worse.

You make the point for exactly why we need to be in the Big Sky. We need to have a conference, something to play for and build some rivalries or we will continue to see crowds like this or worse.

It's not all the lack of a conference although the lackluster schedule is a big part. It's also lackluster play from Mussman's teams for the past couple of years. Absolutely nothing to get excited about.

You know, a very very small part of me almost wishes that UND would just keep the nickname and accecpt the NCAA sanctions for about 5 years..................

That way, when the Big Ten Hockey-bound Gophers and Badgers implement their boycott to UND hockey's program, and we replace those games with Niagra and Alabama-Huntsville, I could finally see the "all hockey, all-the-time" crowd start to see what I've seen coming down the pipe for about 5 years now...................................

Arguing that it is pointless to retire the nickname because a football game did not sell out is one of the stupidest things I've heard in my life. Some members here act as if the nickname is a gift from the hockey program, only to be used if certain conditions or criteria are met. The Fighting Sioux nickname was around long before the hockey team was...............................

AMEN!!!!

Hmmm, let me ponder would it better to keep the name and have no conference for the majority of our sports, be blackballed by some schools and have attendance that would rival high school football or would it be better to be in the Big Sky and have something to play for, have top quality teams playing in GF and get folks excited? Hmmm, this one is tough.

You do know, 7>5, that UND isn't in the Big Sky until next year?? You deserve to get ripped.

Yes I did know that and as I said it was just my opinion and I know I was going to get ripped. So even after they join big sky do you believe that attendance will go up? Even if the football team is getting pounded and losing almost every game(which does typically happen when you move up). And my point was that I did read posts on SS.com where people could not get rid of the nickname fast enough to get into that conference. I just do not see much changing? I hope I am, but Thanks for all the kind words towards me.

I don't care if the football team gets pounded regularly, or if the hockey team falls into obscurity for that matter...........................the fact is, you don't throw 400+ student-athletes under the bus just so fans can continue to buy hats with the portrait of a fictional Native American Indian on the front of it..........................but that's just me. Perhaps my values are all mixed up..........................

• Upvote 2

I don't care if the football team gets pounded regularly, or if the hockey team falls into obscurity for that matter...........................the fact is, you don't throw 400+ student-athletes under the bus just so fans can continue to buy hats with the portrait of a fictional Native American Indian on the front of it..........................but that's just me. Perhaps my values are all mixed up..........................

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, no offense, but looks like the PC narrative that used to go like ..... it's all about what the Indians want ... to .... it's all about the student athletes need ... is now parroted by the fan base.

Again, since I believe that the Big Sky situation is nothing but a bluff, the only team that will really may be impacted is football, if they become a playoff team again. That would be a wonderful "problem" to have.

Was at Thursday's game, and I have to say, the game experience has really deteriorated from the last game I was at two years ago. (Usually average a game a year as well as a hockey and basketball game at home). It's not that the game wasn't done professionally by the athletic department - it was. The fan base is just so deflated - except the students - no anticipation of excitement. It's more like the fans are just dreading that the worst can happen.

The volleyball game last night was a study in contrasts - a lot of anticipation and noise from fans. The noise only abated when the match became a blowout in UND's favor.

Sioux football teams of the past always seemed to execute every single part of the game. The machine-like precision was part of the beauty of Sioux football. Perhaps it was just first game jitters, but coaches have a long ways to go to evolve this team into machine-like behavior..

Was at Thursday's game, and I have to say, the game experience has really deteriorated from the last game I was at two years ago. (Usually average a game a year as well as a hockey and basketball game at home). It's not that the game wasn't done professionally by the athletic department - it was. The fan base is just so deflated - no anticipation of excitement. It's more like the fans are just dreading that the worst can happen.

Sioux teams of the past always seemed to execute every single part of the game. The machine-like precision was part of the beauty of Sioux football. Perhaps it was just first game jitters, but coaches have a long ways to go to evolve this team into machine-like behavior..

It is called CONFIDENCE! The coach instills it. The fans embrace it. The team executes it. UND has it on the ice and on the VB court and maybe a few other places. Losing to SFU and playing a patsy schedule does NOT bring it back. You must win against perceived inferior competitors. You must pull an upset against a perceived superior opponent, i.e. Minnesota. You must win games you are not expected to win! NDSU has done that, that is why they can swagger. UND must continue to improve. They must continue to play UP. They must continue to play above their perceived ability. The program is getting there. BUT, do not accept beating lesser programs, do not even schedule them. Strive for beating teams that you should not beat. End of sermon. Is Muss the answer, I am very skeptical.

Sorry, no offense, but looks like the PC narrative that used to go like ..... it's all about what the Indians want ... to .... it's all about the student athletes need ... is now parroted by the fan base.

Again, since I believe that the Big Sky situation is nothing but a bluff, the only team that will really may be impacted is football, if they become a playoff team again. That would be a wonderful "problem" to have.

Really? I think you're confusing "PC narrative" with "facts."

I've forgotten on what basis you've concluded that statements from the BSC are "nothing but a bluff," but I've yet to see a good explanation -- or any explanation, aside from the Great Berkley Conspiracy against NA Nicknames -- why they would be bluffing at all. What did they stand to gain?

The BSC is the second of two potential conferences to express reservations about accepting UND with the nickname controversy (thank God things didn't work out with the Summit). It's not just the position of NCAA bureaucrats but many member schools as well, who several years ago demonstrated their backing of the NA policy by affirming after the fact the NCAA executive committee's authority to make rules like this. Minnesota won't play us in any sport; Wisconsin has indicated a similar position. And yes, without conference affiliation, ALL UND athletes would be handicapped. More importantly, the athletic program would be decimated. Why in the world would UND choose pariah status with so little evidence -- if any -- that everyone else is only bluffing. Too bad at this stage of the game we're still dealing with this issue.

As to your observation on the UND-Drake game, I would agree; Lackluster performance on the field and little energy in the stands, at least after the first half. Hopefully the O line improves (disappointing number of sacks versus a no-scholly team) and Mussman opens up the playbook and the team shows a lot more offensive potential against Idaho next week.

I think the problem that we have with the excitement level is that we have a coach who is trying not to lose. I attended a game last year and the guy sitting in front of me was from California and was just there to watch football and wasn't cheering for either team. At halftime he turned around and asked me "what is wrong with your coach". It was his observation that Mussman was trying not to lose. I watch a lot of Saints football and one of the things I like about Payton is he isn't afraid to take chances.

The Sioux need to get back to the Lennon ways and play to win.

I went to the game on Thursday and regularly tail gate...The game was crap, the environment was terrible, and the product on the field was laughable...Needless to say, it will take alot more improvement for the Football team to represent the Fighting Sioux...Maybe its a blessing the name goes away as the Football team probably doesn't deserve to use it anymore with the product they put on the field. Lastly, I go to the hockey games and that is a real, professional product displayed night in and night out...The football game was a hyped version of what a high school puts out for production value...a screaming chick interviewing people in the stands and she couldn't even say Season Ticket holder at the delivery point of her interview. Additionally, the crowd was dead for most of the game and again the cool stuff they try to do with the video screens is no better than a monster truck show. Try getting some training from the folks at the Engelstad and maybe the tickets are worth the free price I paid since they were being handed out by many at the tailgate event....God help us when we actually play D-I talent on a regular basis.

BobIwabuchiFan

• Downvote 4

I think the problem that we have with the excitement level is that we have a coach who is trying not to lose. I attended a game last year and the guy sitting in front of me was from California and was just there to watch football and wasn't cheering for either team. At halftime he turned around and asked me "what is wrong with your coach". It was his observation that Mussman was trying not to lose. I watch a lot of Saints football and one of the things I like about Payton is he isn't afraid to take chances.

The Sioux need to get back to the Lennon ways and play to win.

I think this is a question many more football fans need to ask. At least I haven't heard the "we're doing the move to D1 right" drivel lately. We aren't with the exception of the volleyball team.