SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 NHL Draft - at the X

AZSIOUX

draftlogo-banner.jpg

JUNE, 24-25 St. Paul

With the NHL draft coming up, this looks to be a good one for future/current Sioux players and us fans.

TSN Draft Center

nhl.com draft page

Brads Blog - good prospect information throughout

HF Boards - Prospects page - good draft and player info

The Hockey Writers top 210

The Hockey Writers have 4 sioux prospects/players ranked like this so you have an idea on where they may get drafted. There are many more rankings but just used this as an example

2c655706-8e94-4ab6-b5eb-56fc9750c8fe-rocco-grimaldimanual.jpg#17 - Rocco Grimaldi - 5'6 163lbs - Forward - Rossmoor, Calif.

Grimaldi Article

In depth on Grimaldi

Grimaldi article

WCH Blog - Grimaldi

Grimaldi shooutout goal vs RPI

Grimaldi goal - video

Grimaldi interview

JT%20Miller%20Story%20Image.jpg#26 - Jonathan (JT) Miller - 6'1.25 198lbs - Forward - East Palestine, Ohio

In depth on Miller

JT Miller video

Miller goal - video

Miller interview - video

HIVWGCUDCJXSQKP.20110502212316.jpg#137 - Dillon Simpson - 6'.5 192lbs - Defense - Edmonton, ALTA

in depth info on Simpson

Simpson 1st career goal - video

Simpson interview with TH

st.%20clair.jpg#159 - Colten St. Clair - 5'10.25 190lbs - Forward - Gilbert, AZ

St Clair article

Get to know St Clair - video

St Clair interview - video

my guess...

Jonathan (JT) Miller - 1st round - 14-20

Rocco Grimaldi - 1st round maybe early 2nd for no other reason than he is 5'6 from some so called experts. I've also read if he was 3-4 more inches taller he would be top 5 pick potential. i say he goes top 25

Dillon Simpson - 3-5 rounds. i say early 3rd.

Colten St. Clair - 5-7 rounds

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend and I will be attending the draft. Friday night is sold out so that should make for a fun experience.

I have watched the NHL Draft online over the last five years so it will be nice to see everything go down in person. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to wear a Sioux jersey or if I'll just stick with a Sioux t-shirt.

Anyone else from SiouxSports planning to attend?

A friend and I will be attending the draft. Friday night is sold out so that should make for a fun experience.

I have watched the NHL Draft online over the last five years so it will be nice to see everything go down in person. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to wear a Sioux jersey or if I'll just stick with a Sioux t-shirt.

Anyone else from SiouxSports planning to attend?

I'm going with my dad and brother, I've always watched on TV. It's gonna be awesome being there. I haven't decided if I'm gonna wear a Sioux shirt or a Blackhawks shirt.

McKeens top 30

#10 Grimaldi

#27 Miller

TSN rankings

18. J.T. MILLER

2010-11 Team: USA U-18

League: USHL

Position: Centre Height: 6-1

2010-11 Stats: 56 GP, 15 G, 50 PTS Weight: 198 lbs.

Scouting Ranking

NHL Central Scouting: 23 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 17, The Hockey News: No. 59

TSN Scout Grant McCagg:

His last impression for the scouts was his best one, leading the gold-medal winning US team with 13 points at the U-18's. Will attend the University of North Dakota next season. Strengths - Hard working, versatile forward with a good motor, sees the ice well, effective puckhandler with good puck protection abilities, good along the walls. Powerful straight-ahead skater, drives to the net, smart puck distributor, hard-nosed, likes to throw hits. Weaknesses - Limited agility, more north-south than east-west, not overly creative, lacks finishing skills. NHL Upside - Second-line power-type winger with decent size and offensive abilities. Has been compared to Dustin Brown, but may not have his scoring touch.

23. ROCCO GRIMALDI

2010-11 Team: USA U-18 League: USHL

Position: Centre Height: 5-6

2010-11 Stats: 58 GP, 39 G, 73 PTS Weight: 163 lbs.

Scouting Ranking NHL Central Scouting: 32 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 15, The Hockey News: No. 32

TSN Scout Grant McCagg:

Diminutive University of North Dakota recruit led the US development team in scoring. Tore up the 2010 U-17 tournament with 14 points in 6 games, then impressed again with a 13-point effort in the recent U-18's. Strengths - A feisty little warrior. when he's going his feet never stop, fearless on the puck, character guy, plays hard, strong core and lower body, likes to score goals, skilled puck carrier and sniper. Weaknesses - He's only 5-6. Can try to do too much by himself and overhandle the puck. NHL Upside - Has drawn comparison to Theo Fleury and Marty St. Louis. His lack of height shouldn't hinder him from becoming a top-six forward at the NHL level.

Honorable Mention

DILLON SIMPSON

2010-11 Team: North Dakota League: WCHA

Position: Defenceman Height: 6-0

2010-11 Stats: 27 GP, 2 G, 10 PTS Weight: 192 lbs.

Scouting Ranking

NHL Central Scouting: 157 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 122, The Hockey News: No. 69

HF - 2011 Draft: Top 10 draft eligible NCAA prospects

#9 Dillon Simpson

North Dakota head coach Dave Hakstol on Dillon Simpson: "Dillon came in as a 17-year-old, but a very mature young man. He's made great progress. Dillon became a fixture on for us on our blue line down the stretch until the last few games of the season, but he has extremely high-end hockey sense and playmaking ability. He's a guy that, no question, is ready to step into a top two or three role with us. He plays a good two-way role and can play a role on the power play as well. Dillon's got a very bright future ahead of him."

OK folks, so why don't we make a game out of this.

Pick the overall draft number position of the four UND recruits (Simpson, Grimaldi, Miller, St. Clair).

Lowest total difference from actual draft positions wins.

Tie breaker is closest single guess to actual position.

No prize other than honor and bragging rights.

My entry:

Grimaldi - 19 overall (my guess inspired by Zach Parise)

Miller - 20 overall (Grimaldi goes and Miller goes next)

Simpson - 81 overall (you can teach skating; you can't teach 6'5" at age 17)

St. Clair - 181 overall (later rounds the Euros tend to move up and the North America guys move down relative to mock drafts)

OK folks, so why don't we make a game out of this.

Pick the overall draft number position of the four UND recruits (Simpson, Grimaldi, Miller, St. Clair).

Lowest total difference from actual draft positions wins.

Tie breaker is closest single guess to actual position.

No prize other than honor and bragging rights.

My entry:

Grimaldi - 19 overall (my guess inspired by Zach Parise)

Miller - 20 overall (Grimaldi goes and Miller goes next)

Simpson - 81 overall (you can teach skating; you can't teach 6'5" at age 17)

St. Clair - 181 overall (later rounds the Euros tend to move up and the North America guys move down relative to mock drafts)

Parise was #17 overall. Want to change your pick? :)

And Simpson is not 6' 5" unless he grew 4 inches this summer.

I misread his height on one of the scouting reports ... 6' .5" <-- missed that decimal. :(

About Parise, I must've had 19 on the brain from Zajac's jersey number with NJ.

What the heck, if I change I'll be wrong. If I keep I'll be wrong. So I'll take the lazy path. :blush::lol:

ok, i will give my uneducated guesses...

blackhawks take grimaldi at #18. too much talent to pass up on even with his size, plus they've had good success with former Sioux and small skilled forwards.

leafs take miller at #25. tough, skilled player right up burkes alley. can you imagine him and frattin on a line in a couple years? the destroyer line.

oilers take simpson with the first pick of round 4, #92 overall. size, skating, vision and not to mention the pedigree... i don't see him falling past the 4th round.

#159 to the devils, st. clair is drafted in the sixth round. a guy with his work ethic doesn't go undrafted, plus he is a sioux!!

Here is a good chance for my Bruins to take a Fighting Sioux players as they have the first round draft pick of the Make Me Laughs.

Bruins are selecting 9th in the first round , so it's not likely they'll use that for a Sioux player.

Here is a good chance for my Bruins to take a Fighting Sioux players as they have the first round draft pick of the Make Me Laughs.

Would be cool to see that happen, but not likely. NHL.com has some mock drafts and a few players I've seen slotted at this pick are:

Nathan Beaulieu, D, Saint John (QMJHL)

Sven Baertschi, LW, Portland (WHL)

Ryan Murphy, D, Kitchener (OHL)

One of the mock drafts has Miller going 25th to the Leafs, and another had him going 30th to the Leafs. Other than that, none of the other mock drafts had any of these guys in the 1st round.

Take it for what it's worth - a mock drafts by the "experts"!

Would be cool to see that happen, but not likely. NHL.com has some mock drafts and a few players I've seen slotted at this pick are:

Nathan Beaulieu, D, Saint John (QMJHL)

Sven Baertschi, LW, Portland (WHL)

Ryan Murphy, D, Kitchener (OHL)

One of the mock drafts has Miller going 25th to the Leafs, and another had him going 30th to the Leafs. Other than that, none of the other mock drafts had any of these guys in the 1st round.

Take it for what it's worth - a mock drafts by the "experts"!

On the other hand, maybe the Bruins learned their lesson on not selecting Zach Parise when they had a chance and took Mark Stuart. Who would have thought that Blake Wheeler would go #5 in the draft? Probably not likely, but it only takes one team to see something in a player that others don't. There are always surprises of people with questionable work ethics that slip down the draft board, and that leaves room for people with great work ethics like Grimaldi to move up.

From Sun to Ice

In retrospect, the roller hockey rink that is now a parking lot at the Los Altos YMCA probably should have been preserved as some kind of landmark.

That small but not yet forgotten patch of pavement once enclosed by dasher boards sparked not only the interest of many young hockey players in the Long Beach area during the 1990s but provided the start for a generation of players with NHL dreams that are quickly turning into reality.

Long Beach's Matt Nieto and Rossmoor's Rocco Grimaldi will certainly follow in former YMCA Rink Rats teammate Emerson Etem's footsteps at the NHL draft this weekend in St. Paul, Minn.

I have a feeling that Grimaldi will go higher than expected. I mean every report you hear about him it says that his size is the issue (one of the only ones), but he has the lowest body fat of any guy in the draft, which means the kid is a rock at 5'6, not a pudgy 5'6. Add to that the kid has a heart larger than 5'6, a great attitude, and has been always playing at levels ahead of his time. Teams like character guys, and I think they'll get a great one with this kid. I don't know why, but I can see the Blackhawks taking him at pick #18. Tampa Bay loves him, but I can't see him falling to them.

I really hope I didn't just jinx the kid..... :lol:

Miller being more of a "North-South" guy I believe will go to Pittsburgh or Detroit.

Favorite all time draft moment:

The look on Devil's GM Lou Lamoriello's face when Zach Parise fell to his team in the later first round. Like he just won the lottery. :blush:

JT Miller selected 15th overall by the New York Rangers. I think it should be safe to say Miller won't bolt to go play in a different league. The Rangers have had quite a few players in their system that previously played in the NCAA. Wisconin's McDonagh and Stepan come to my immediate thoughts.

Glad to see that Miller got picked up by New York. I thought he would go later in the first round.....

Grimaldi won't slip out of the first round, but I think I jinxed him with picking Chicago for him.....guess he could be playing hockey by the beach! :lol: