SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I recognize many of the people here, but am not sure what they are bringing to the table.  I am very worried about the input from the University -  Looking at you, Sandra.  There are two things that can make this a more bearable process - First, pick a decent replacement name.  My worry is that they will come out with some awful pc crap like the Sundogs (chosen only after consulting with the Sundogs to make sure they are not insulted).  We need a name we can rally behind.  Second, we could use some immediate athletic success on a high level with the new name so people can rally around it (pressure is on you, hockey team).   Without these things it is going to be a suckfest.  

I explained the situation to someone this way once:

We had a Lamborghini. It was awesome. There were a couple Ferrari around, but we had the only Lamborghini. 

Then the DOT said, "No more Lamborghini on the streets." The Ferrari were allowed to stay, along with all the Fords and Chevys. 

Worse? We had nothing to drive for quite a while ... and the Lamborghini was still in the garage, but we can't drive it. 

And I'm worried that even if we get a Jaguar F-Type V8 S it will still feel like a Yugo because the Lamborghini will always be in the garage. 

He's old and has been slacking. If he doesn't retire, the alumni well push him out eventually. 3 years tops, but I really hope he doesn't drag it out that long.

He's old and has been slacking. If he doesn't retire, the alumni well push him out eventually. 3 years tops, but I really hope he doesn't drag it out that long.

Isn't he in his 60's?

Just curious. I have no opinion on any name yet, but what is the glaring negative on Sundogs? I am not saying I like it, but just wondering.

I believe it was first suggested by Leigh Jeanotte and that ilk. Thus it will never be accepted by any Sioux fan. Plus, it's a weather phenomenon, making it even worse.

I explained the situation to someone this way once:

We had a Lamborghini. It was awesome. There were a couple Ferrari around, but we had the only Lamborghini. 

Then the DOT said, "No more Lamborghini on the streets." The Ferrari were allowed to stay, along with all the Fords and Chevys. 

Worse? We had nothing to drive for quite a while ... and the Lamborghini was still in the garage, but we can't drive it. 

And I'm worried that even if we get a Jaguar F-Type V8 S it will still feel like a Yugo because the Lamborghini will always be in the garage. 

I'd rather walk than drive an Edsel.  And we're much more likely to get an Edsel than a Ferrari or a Jaguar. 

OK, but we need titles, as it appears all the important members have them.  Mine can be "Director of Select the Fighting Sioux Nickname or I Will Go Ape-dung All Up in Yo Grill"

I already picked mine: 

Where's the VP for "You Gotta Know Your <bleep> From A Hole In The Ground To Graduate From My University". 

Be prepared to discuss the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle; the Austrian school of thought in Economics; Intron-8 and the 5T allele in CF diagnosis; and Tony Hrkac's 1987 statistics ....  or I too "Will Go Ape-<bleep> All Up in Yo Grill" bee-otches. 

Just curious. I have no opinion on any name yet, but what is the glaring negative on Sundogs? I am not saying I like it, but just wondering.

If the nickname ends up being anything other than a NOUN, I will be mad.  And if it's a WEATHER PHENOMENON, I will have hard time following the teams.  And if it a WEATHER PHENOMENON first suggested by a prominent anti-Sioux activist, that will be the end for me.

It was first proposed by the anti-moniker group BRIDGES and they came out with a rainbow logo* to go with it. 

*Claim: Sundogs do diffract light so they have that appearance. Reality: Their "tip of cap" to "diversity and inclusion" (see: Jesse Jackson, Rainbow Coalition)

• Upvote 1