SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I say there is ZERO chance that UND academia nuts and name-change groups will even remotely consider the thought of naming the team after a group of WHITE soldiers who charged up a hill and killed SPANISH soldiers. Zero.

Well...now that one puts it that way...I have changed my stance. Well played!

I say there is ZERO chance that UND academia nuts and name-change groups will even remotely consider the thought of naming the team after a group of WHITE soldiers who charged up a hill and killed SPANISH soldiers. Zero.

Rough Riders: ... a diverse bunch of men consisting of cowboys, gold or mining prospectors, hunters, gamblers, Native Americans and college boys; all of whom were able-bodied and capable on horseback and in shooting.

You're probably right, but the Rough Riders were more diverse than you give them credit for. And the Spanish Soldiers they were fighting were basically white Europeans, so the minority card needn't come into play, either.

• Upvote 1

Rough Riders: ... a diverse bunch of men consisting of cowboys, gold or mining prospectors, hunters, gamblers, Native Americans and college boys; all of whom were able-bodied and capable on horseback and in shooting.

I'm sure your average Fine Arts or Sociology professor at UND thinks of 'cowboys, hunters, and gamblers' when the word 'diversity' pops into their head... :lol:

jb_progress_rriders_2_e.jpg

Roosevelt's Rough Riders didn't have anything to do with North Dakota. The unit volunteers were almost all from the southern United States. Roosevelt, who eventually ended up leading the Rough Riders, spent two years in the Badlands 12 years prior to the Spanish American war.

I think Rough Riders works well for Red River High School, mostly because of the alliteration. I don't think it is a good fit for UND.

Put it this way: If Red River wasn't nicknamed the Rough Riders, would it even be considered?

Does Roughnecks or Roughneckers resonate with anyone, playing on the state's oil and gas exploration history?

Others I've been kicking around in my head, include:

Wheatkings

Sodbusters

Homesteaders

Riverboaters

Plainsmen

Pride (a lion could be used as a mascot in this regard)

Rough Riders

Nakota

Norse

Badlanders

Remember, many of the nicknames of other universities that we accept as "ok" or "pretty cool," were probably regarded as "lame" at one time, too, but because we've grown up with them, they've somehow become accepted and interwoven in the fabric of said institution.

Rivalry aside, imagine if Minny had a different nickname, and it was us that chose the name "Gophers." To me, that name seems pretty lame on the surface, but because of the tradition and history that it carries in Minnesota and because generations there have grown up with it, it's a source of pride and you'd be hard pressed to find any of its fan base who's ashamed of it today.

Norse and Roughnecks are ok for me. The others listed I don't like (Rough Riders is ok, but I don't believe will be selected for reasons already mentioned). I also don't mind Flames (just take the flame from the UND logo), Wildfire (would need an artist for this one), Flood (steal the green wave logo), Reapers (ask Sicatoca), or Warriors (using a plane logo).

Screaming IronPigs?

General Manager Kurt Landes said he heard from several Hispanics who said PorkChop was derogatory.

"We were really unaware of any negative connotations with the word 'pork chop,"' he said. "If it offended a few, it's a few too many."

That's the quote that really got me...so if a half-dozen fans in Denver have a relative who died in an avalanche, does that mean that Colorado's nickname must go by the wayside? According to Kurt Landes, yes indeed.

Norse and Roughnecks are ok for me. The others listed I don't like (Rough Riders is ok, but I don't believe will be selected for reasons already mentioned). I also don't mind Flames (just take the flame from the UND logo), Wildfire (would need an artist for this one), Flood (steal the green wave logo), Reapers (ask Sicatoca), or Warriors (using a plane logo).

I like Reapers, too.

• Upvote 1

That's the quote that really got me...so if a half-dozen fans in Denver have a relative who died in an avalanche, does that mean that Colorado's nickname must go by the wayside? According to Kurt Landes, yes indeed.

Jeez, maybe we're better off just going by "North Dakota"...

How about "Screaming North Dakota"? :lol:

This mentality, unfortunately, is the society/world we now live in.

Roosevelt's Rough Riders didn't have anything to do with North Dakota. The unit volunteers were almost all from the southern United States. Roosevelt, who eventually ended up leading the Rough Riders, spent two years in the Badlands 12 years prior to the Spanish American war.

I think Rough Riders works well for Red River High School, mostly because of the alliteration. I don't think it is a good fit for UND.

Put it this way: If Red River wasn't nicknamed the Rough Riders, would it even be considered?

Considering that one of the official nicknames for North Dakota is the Rough Rider state, I would say yes, it would still be considered...and perhaps have even more of a realistic chance of being the next nickname.

EDIT: don't know how to add links using my phone, but according to Wikipedia, several ND cowboys were apart of Roosevelt's Rough Rider group. It became an official nickname following a state tourism promotion on the 60s and 70s.

Really? You didn't hear this message when reading between the lines of the arguments of the anti-nickname cabal? The idea was that the nickname caused negative self-image among Native Americans and thus contributed to the social and economic problems on the reservations. And, sorry, but I am not apologizing for the comment. I had to listen to nickname oppponents throw around words like "racist" in describing the name, logo and (yes) even those of us that supported keeping the name. Now when their stupid, illogical theories are proven wrong over and over again, I have no problem calling them out on it. You reap what you sow. Unfortunately, the little girl that died was forced to reap what irresponsible adults sowed.

I don't think anyone ever claimed getting rid of the name would solve all their problems. But you sure don't see Ron his horse is thunder actually dealing with any of their real problems as of recent:/

Why would Rough Riders work? Because many states use the state nickname as the flagship university's moniker. And what is ND's nickname? The Rough Rider State.

Why would Reapers work? Because of history and future. Farmers of the distant past were called reapers. More recently grain harvesting equipment was called a reaper (the McCormick reaper). Because of the ag focus, use that theme on green uniforms. Today there's a UAV designated the MQ-9 Reaper. Use that theme with white jerseys. And the (Grim) Reaper most of us think about with that word? Black jersey. ;)

• Upvote 3

I am a Central Alum (Class of 1993) and I do not do crap like this.

I make fun of RR (I still call them River Rats) but if UND named its self the Roughriders, I wouldn't mind it as long as they had a different logo than RR.

Central Alum Class of 1994

Actually, the Albany River Rats had one of the coolest minor hockey league logos around...

2140.gif

I'd make a few tweaks, like getting rid of the winking eye and silly rat-tail on the R, but I always thought this was a cool name and logo.

• Upvote 1