SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Eh, semantics, but fair enough.  I have no problem with either one.

Eh ... no. 

Preserving: maintain (something) in its original or existing state

Commemorating: recall and show respect for something

Note "maintain" versus "recall", one is existing state, one has to be recalled (from retirement). 

Eh ... no. 

Preserving: maintain (something) in its original or existing state

Commemorating: recall and show respect for something

Note "maintain" versus "recall", one is existing state, one has to be recalled (from retirement). 

Thanks for the definitions, Webster.  But don't you just love how they maintained (this jersey) in its original and existing state?

100214.s.gfh_.undhockey_3.jpg?itok=6JdKf

Thanks for the definitions, Webster.  But don't you just love how they maintained (this jersey) in its original and existing state?

... in a glass case, like a museum exhibit commemorating, recalling the past. 

If they were maintaining, one of those would be down the hall in an active locker. 

... in a glass case, like a museum exhibit commemorating, recalling the past. 

If they were maintaining, one of those would be down the hall in an active locker. 

I guess I think of museums as a place where documents/artifacts/paintings are preserved (don't touch the art!), but to each his own.  Not going to argue over semantics.  But, I do like how UND preserved the Fighting Sioux jerseys in that hallway.

Fighting Sioux was a badass nickname accompanied by a badass logo.  Both of which are now gone, unfortunately.  New nickname (Or no nickname?) is on the horizon and I'm willing to embrace it, and can't wait for everyone to gradually hop on the bandwagon.  

However there is a consolation prize for all of you still clutching to the Sioux nickname: the callsign for UND's aircraft is still (and will continue to be, due to the cost of changing it with the FAA, if I'm correct) SIOUX.  ie - "Grand Forks Tower, Sioux 84 holding short of runway 17 Right, ready for departure."  Take a listen if you wish!

Hmmmm.... So, the exhibits behind glass cases at, say, the Holocaust Museum, are for commemoration? I guess that's one theory.

From http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/commemorate

To commemorate something means to remember something and by doing so to honor it, as in “We would like to commemorate his many years of past service by presenting him with this lovely gold watch.”

The word commemorate has a pretty clear echo of memory in it, so it can help to keep it in your mind just by noticing that.

commemorate
v call to remembrance; keep alive the memory of someone or something, as in a ceremony
v be or provide a memorial to a person or an event
“This sculpture commemorates the victims of the concentration camps”

Sounds like the proper usage of the word.

Holy cow, Mr. Buzzkill.  God forbid a North Dakota team is nicknamed after something related to Teddy Roosevelt.  You hate "Roughriders", we get it.  But if you think the Grand Forks school district was so foolish to use "Roughriders" as a nickname for athletic competition in North Dakota, as you implied earlier, I would love to hear what you have to say about the school districts that created the Central Knights, Fargo North Spartans, Bismarck Demons, Dickinson Midgets, and pretty much every other high school in North Dakota.

Sorry B-Squared- that post of mine you're referring to is what the kids nowadays refer to as sarcasm.  

In regard to the rest of your post; everyone realizes those schools you listed were not attempting to honor anything when they chose their nickname.  So, it's really a silly point to try compare those names to UND's attempt at finding a name reflective of the state.

On the UND nickname suggestion page, the third of the four suggested attributes for a nickname suggestion states:   3)  Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future. 

the Roughriders were not a cavalry based in North Dakota.  They never trained or fought in north Dakota.  At best, a handful  (after a little research, i discovered just one- Jesse Langdon- was from North Dakota) of the 1250+ men may have had north Dakota ties.  

Are we choosing a nickname to honor North Dakota, or are we choosing a nickname to honor Teddy Roosevelt?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Riders gathered in the southwest, but North Dakota cowboys (e.g. Jesse Langdon*) were in the group. "They gathered a diverse bunch of men consisting of cowboys, gold or mining prospectors, hunters, gamblers, Native Americans and college boys; all of whom were able-bodied and capable on horseback and in shooting."

If they didn't take anybody from anywhere who met their needs, how'd a Harvard educated New Yorker end up as a colonel in the unit?

*Roosevelt made sure Langdon got into the unit. "Langdon, born 1881 in what is now North Dakota, "hoboed" his way to Washington, D.C., and called on Roosevelt at the Navy Department, reminding him that his father, a veterinarian, had treated Roosevelt's cattle at his Dakota ranch during his ranching days. Roosevelt arranged a railroad ticket for him to San Antonio, where Langdon enlisted in the Rough Riders at age 16. He was the last surviving member of the regiment and the only one to attend the final two reunions, in 1967 and 1968. He died June 29, 1975 at the age of 94, ..."

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/columnists/curt-eriksmoen/rough-rider-known-for-psychic-powers/article_26af1732-19cd-59b6-a9e2-ecd3af9dd287.html

As the article states, just one North Dakotan- Jesse Langdon, was ever a member of the Roughriders.

North Dakota Tourism has done a great job of brainwashing people over the years to believe the Roughriders had anything to do with North Dakota.  One of those -say it enough times and people will believe it's true- deals.   

Sorry B-Squared- that post of mine you're referring to is what the kids nowadays refer to as sarcasm.  

In regard to the rest of your post; everyone realizes those schools you listed were not attempting to honor anything when they chose their nickname.  So, it's really a silly point to try compare those names to UND's attempt at finding a name reflective of the state.

On the UND nickname suggestion page, the third of the four suggested attributes for a nickname suggestion states:   3)  Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future. 

the Roughriders were not a cavalry based in North Dakota.  They never trained or fought in north Dakota.  At best, a handful  (after a little research, i discovered just one- Jesse Langdon- was from North Dakota) of the 1250+ men may have had north Dakota ties.  

Are we choosing a nickname to honor North Dakota, or are we choosing a nickname to honor Teddy Roosevelt?  

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/columnists/curt-eriksmoen/rough-rider-known-for-psychic-powers/article_26af1732-19cd-59b6-a9e2-ecd3af9dd287.html

As the article states, just one North Dakotan- Jesse Langdon, was ever a member of the Roughriders.

North Dakota Tourism has done a great job of brainwashing people over the years to believe the Roughriders had anything to do with North Dakota.  One of those -say it enough times and people will believe it's true- deals.   

Holy cow, Mr. Buzzkill.  God forbid a North Dakota team is nicknamed after something related to Teddy Roosevelt.  You hate "Roughriders", we get it.

• Upvote 2

I just submitted:

BRAVEHEARTS

fits the criteria perfectly:

• Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s
  • Promote a sense of pride, strength, fierceness, and passion
  • Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future
  • Be a unifying and rallying symbol

...This will do as a hold over until the world becomes rational and let's the Sioux people have their name represent the University of their land with pride and honor once again. It may take 20 years but it will happen..

For those who:

A) Say having no nickname will be unique

B) Say a nickname is required

Here is a list from smargon.net/nicknames

No Nickname ---

The Art Institute of Portland (Portland, Oregon)

Albany Law School (Albany, New York)

Albany Medical College (Albany, New York)

Allen College (Waterloo, Iowa)

American Military University (Charles Town, West Virginia)

American Public University (Charles Town, West Virginia)

Amridge University (Montgomery, Alabama) (former name: Southern Christian University)

Antioch University Seattle (Seattle, Washington)

Antioch New England Graduate School (Keene, New Hampshire)

Art Academy of Cincinnati (Cincinnati, Ohio)

The Art Institute of Ohio-Cincinnati (Cincinnati, Ohio)

Bennington College (Bennington, Vermont)

Bastyr University (Seattle, Washington)

Bob Jones University (Greenville, South Carolina)

California Coast University (Santa Ana, California)

California Institute of the Arts (Valencia, California)

Carlos Albizu University (Miami, Florida)

Chancellor University (Cleveland, Ohio) (former name: Myers University) (former nickname: Mustangs)

Chicago-Kent College of Law (Chicago, Illinois)

Christian Leadership University (Cheektowaga, New York)

Claremont Graduate School (Claremont, California)

Cleveland Institute of Art (Cleveland, Ohio)

Columbus College of Art and Design (Columbus, Ohio)

DeVry Institute Of Technology (Columbus, Ohio)

DeVry Institute Of Technology (Dallas, Texas)

DeVry Institute Of Technology (Addison, Illinois)

State University of New York-Empire State College (Saratoga Springs, New York)

Eugene Lang College, New School for Social Research (New York, New York)

Everglades College (Fort Lauderdale, Florida)

Governors State University (University Park, Illinois)

Hollins University (Roanoke, Virginia) (former name: Hollins College)

Jewish Theological Seminary of America (New York, New York)

John Marshall Law School (Chicago, Illinois)

Jones College (Jacksonville, Florida)

Marlboro College (Marlboro, Vermont)

Medical College of Georgia (Augusta, Georgia)

Medical College of Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

Memphis College of Art (Memphis, Tennessee)

Mercy College of Northwest Ohio (Toledo, Ohio)

Metropolitan State University (Twin Cities, Minnesota)

Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

Minneapolis College of Art and Design (Minneapolis, Minnesota)

Monterey Institute of International Studies (Monterey, California)

Moore College of Art and Design (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

New College of Florida (Sarasota, Florida)

New Saint Andrews College (Moscow, Idaho)

New School for Social Research (New York, New York)

Oregon Graduate Institute of Science & Technology (Portland, Oregon)

Oregon Health Sciences University (Portland, Oregon)

Pennsylvania College of Technology-Herman T. Schneebeli Earth Science Center (Montgomery, Pennsylvania)

Pennsylvania College of Technology-Kathryn Wentzel Lumley Aviation Center (Montoursville, Pennsylvania)

Regent University (Virginia Beach, Virginia)

Ringling College of Art and Design (Sarasota, Florida)

Rockefeller University (New York, New York)

Sage College of Albany (Albany, New York)

Sage Graduate School (Albany, New York)

South Texas College of Law (Houston, Texas)

State University of New York-Health Science Center at Syracuse (Syracuse, New York)

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (Arkansas)

University of Hawaii-West Oahu (Pearl City, Hawaii)

University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (New Jersey)

University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson, Mississippi)

University of North Dakota (Grand Forks, North Dakota) (former name: Sioux)

University of Sarasota (Sarasota, Florida)

Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology (Flushing, New York)

William Mitchell College of Law (Saint Paul, Minnesota)

Holy cow, Mr. Buzzkill.  God forbid a North Dakota team is nicknamed after something related to Teddy Roosevelt.  You hate "Roughriders", we get it.

Your last reply to me stated you would "love to hear what I have to say about ND high school nicknames...

Are you capable of responding to me without starting out with an insult or calling names?  You are 3-for-3 now.  You seem very childish when you are proven wrong.   In the future, please ignore posts of mine in which your opinion is different than mine, or in cases you cannot refute my points with anything besides insults and garbage.  Thanks.  We're done here.   

Your last reply to me stated you would "love to hear what I have to say about ND high school nicknames...

Are you capable of responding to me without starting out with an insult or calling names?  You are 3-for-3 now.  You seem very childish when you are proven wrong.   In the future, please ignore posts of mine in which your opinion is different than mine, or in cases you cannot refute my points with anything besides insults and garbage.  Thanks.  We're done here.   

Holy cow, Mr. Buzzkill.

For those who:

A) Say having no nickname will be unique

B) Say a nickname is required

Here is a list from smargon.net/nicknames

Other than UND, do any of these places have athletic teams?  Honest question.

Most of those schools are art schools, med schools or a few law schools that don't have athletics.  At least a few are online schools.  Hollins University is a private women's college (a few men are in the graduate school) that competes in 8 sports at the D III level and they don't appear to have a nickname.  Sage College of Albany is a D III school, but they seem to use Gators as a nickname.  Their fan site is www.sagegators.com.  It's possible that there are 1 or 2 others that have athletics but don't have a nickname, but Hollins is the only one that I have heard about before.

Most of those schools are art schools, med schools or a few law schools that don't have athletics.  At least a few are online schools.  Hollins University is a private women's college (a few men are in the graduate school) that competes in 8 sports at the D III level and they don't appear to have a nickname.  Sage College of Albany is a D III school, but they seem to use Gators as a nickname.  Their fan site is www.sagegators.com.  It's possible that there are 1 or 2 others that have athletics but don't have a nickname, but Hollins is the only one that I have heard about before.

I missed Bob Jones University.  They use Bruins as a nickname.

What people need to realize is replacing the Fighting Sioux name with something else doesn't erase the history of the Fighting Sioux from the University of North Dakota. No one is saying that we need to forget about the old name. No one is telling people to throw all their Fighting Sioux apparel away and buy up all the merchandise with the new logo. Moving forward does not mean forgetting about the past. That being said, there is a fine line between remembering the old name and honoring its place in UND history and holding on to the name and not adjusting or adapting to the new name.

Great post!