SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Yup and according to reports there were some on the committee who suggested the need to approach area businesses and ask that they consider removing all references to Fighting Soux. Of course it goes without saying they wanted the name removed from every inch of UND including the current rule that no UND employee can wear the Fighting Sioux logo to work.

Is that an actual rule?

Is that an actual rule?

Whether written or unwritten I was told that directly by a UND employee. They said they were rold that "Wearing the Fighting Sioux Logo as an employee of UND might communicate that UND still supports the logo." Somewhat related never heard anything this year about the NCAA threatening to force UND to forfeit a game if any player or employee was found wearing a Fighting Sioux logo - wonder if that is still in force?

I need to add the rule applies to when they are on the job.

Yup and according to reports there were some on the committee who suggested the need to approach area businesses and ask that they consider removing all references to Fighting Soux. Of course it goes without saying they wanted the name removed from every inch of UND including the current rule that no UND employee can not wear the FIghting Sioux logo to work.

Oh yeah, this must be part of the respectful and dignified process of retiring the Sioux logo...hmmmm....

Whether written or unwritten I was told that directly by a UND employee. They said they were rold that "Wearing the Fighting Sioux Logo as an employee of UND might communicate that UND still supports the logo." Somewhat related never heard anything this year about the NCAA threatening to force UND to forfeit a game if any player or employee was found wearing a Fighting Sioux logo - wonder if that is still in force?

I need to add the rule applies to when they are on the job.

I have worked at UND in a few different areas over the last 14 years. When the debate started again (in 2003, maybe?), one of administrators of my area at that time requested that employees not wear the Sioux logo to work events. He also requested that we remove any items with the Sioux logo from our offices. He was told that he did not have the authority to mandate how we decorated our office spaces. This was (and is) a "high visibility" department that has significant interaction with much of the university and surrounding community.

In 2007 I moved to a different area of the university and we have NEVER been told anything about the Sioux logo. I see coworkers wearing it often.

Just thought I would let you know my experiences...straight from the horse's mouth. :)

I have worked at UND in a few different areas over the last 14 years. When the debate started again (in 2003, maybe?), one of administrators of my area at that time requested that employees not wear the Sioux logo to work events. He also requested that we remove any items with the Sioux logo from our offices. He was told that he did not have the authority to mandate how we decorated our office spaces. This was (and is) a "high visibility" department that has significant interaction with much of the university and surrounding community.

In 2007 I moved to a different area of the university and we have NEVER been told anything about the Sioux logo. I see coworkers wearing it often.

Just thought I would let you know my experiences...straight from the horse's mouth. :)

oh man now you did it, never bring truth into the fantasyland that is going on in some of these posters heads!

Borrow from state advertising the North Dakota Legendary :lol:

But in all seriousness, there won't be a nickname that anyone that grew up with the Sioux or attended UND when we were the Sioux will be happy with the nickname. The best that can be hoped for is that a new nickname is found that a new generation will be able to get behind while growing up with it. Also hopefully it isn't some generic bird name like Miami (Oh.), Dickinson State, or Devils Lake got stuck with.

Mjolnir,

What is it? "The War Hammer". " ... that which smashes ... "

The most powerful weapon in Norse-Germanic mythology, and only those worthy may wield it.

"Mjölnir is depicted in Norse mythology as one of the most fearsome weapons, capable of leveling mountains." <-- That would explain ND's topography. :D

Mjolnir,

What is it? "The War Hammer". " ... that which smashes ... "

The most powerful weapon in Norse-Germanic mythology, and only those worthy may wield it.

"Mjölnir is depicted in Norse mythology as one of the most fearsome weapons, capable of leveling mountains." <-- That would explain ND's topography. :D

I thought Paul Bunyan explains ND topography. :)

Morningside Mustangs, Stars in any form is more related towards the state of Minnesota, Wildcats...Winship Elementary School.

Yea, when I saw "Wildcats" as a suggestion, my next thought was immediately "Winship Elementary School." OK, I lie. Actually, it was New Hampshire.

I like these - some have been mentioned before.

Express - Some type of railroad theme

Voyageurs - Early Fur Traders or Space related theme

Pride - Lion theme

Raptors (Bird of Prey Type Raptor not Toronto Raptor) - Peregrine falcons have a nest on campus.

No particular order, but Express is my first choice.

I like these - some have been mentioned before.

Express - Some type of railroad theme

Voyageurs - Early Fur Traders or Space related theme

Pride - Lion theme

Raptors - Peregrine falcons have a nest on campus.

That nest may be nice, but there's a reason Toronto's NBA team is looking at a total re-brand. That Raptors identity is just plain corny.

Yea, when I saw "Wildcats" as a suggestion, my next thought was immediately "Winship Elementary School." OK, I lie. Actually, it was New Hampshire.

Actually I thought of Kansas State first. But when people say can't have RoughRiders because of Red River, does that include all schools in the GGF area? No Wolves, Royals, Raiders, Green Wave. That's why I sorta like Jets (aerospace plus I am a Winnipeg Jets fan), and Oilers (drilling out west) with a cool logo like Houston not Edmonton.