SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Name at AHCA meetings

The Sicatoka

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/hockey/article_3b452884-852a-11e0-b169-001cc4c002e0.html

During the American Hockey Coaches Association convention in Florida last month, Frazier said WCHA and CCHA officials are receptive to having some type of interlocking schedule with the Big Ten.

One complication to the Badgers playing against WCHA opponents is that they wouldn't be able to schedule North Dakota

What happens if we play them in the playoffs? A forfeit by Wisconsin or Minnesota?

They will play. If I remember correctly, Wisconsin has already played teams with Indian names in the playoffs.

What happens if we play them in the playoffs? A forfeit by Wisconsin or Minnesota?

They'll will whip out the "we control our schedule, we don't control who the NCAA says we must face in the post-season" rationalization.

They'll will whip out the "we control our schedule, we don't control who the NCAA says we must face in the post-season" rationalization.

Despite the FACT that they and Minnesota supposedly had a policy of not scheduling non-conference teams with Indian names pre-NCAA stupidity but they did anyway. I know Minnesota played both Central Michigan and Florida St. in basketball....I had a little email exchange with Maturi a few years back after they were selling Sioux merchandise at the John while the Sioux were in town and in fact our swim teams were right next door at a meet as well.(non-conference). I told him to run down the hall and apologize to Tubby for the upcoming forfeits he had coming up on the schedule wth the Chippewas and Seminoles.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/hockey/article_3b452884-852a-11e0-b169-001cc4c002e0.html

So Wisconsin has said it's a problem.

What happens if Minnesota also decides to enforce its policy?

Their winning percentage goes up?

Mommies get fewer phone after-game phone calls?

Face-washing grows in stature as a method to stand up for one's self/teammate?

McLeod has less game tape to review on Mondays?

I think that Wisconsin will find out that they need us more than they need them.

Don't be so arrogant. Losing UW and or UM from UND's schedule would definitely be a negative in midwest sports exposure. As a 50+ year Sioux hockey fan I would hate to see us lose these rivalries over a nickname. Let's move on and quickly. This has taken enough time and money. It is time to get on with life in the 21st century. FB and other sports need this also. Sorry to offend those of you who insist on beating this dead subject, but the time has come to move on.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

I am not being arrogant just staying it will hurt them more than us. I would rather watch Denver than Wis and there is alot of people in Madison that are not happy about the big ten.

What do you base this on? Minnesota and Wisconsin (as well as Michigan and Michigan State) have highly successful hockey teams and are a major draw which many teams will fall backwards over to play, especially if they can get them to play at their opponents rink. UND is a highly respected team in hockey and they do generate a following but given the choice between playing UND or Minnesota/Wisconsin, I think most teams would choose the Big Ten schools. Consider this, although it is not the same, NDSU will play Minnesota but not UND because they perceive it as a better game for them for a couple reasons starting with money and the hype that it provides to its program.

I think it hurts UND more than Minnesota/Wisconsin to not play each other. Maybe not immediately but over time. It could be argued that Michigan (and to a lessor extent, Michigan State) had strong rivalries with UND when they were in the WCHA and look at the lack of a rivalry with those teams now.

What do you base this on? Minnesota and Wisconsin (as well as Michigan and Michigan State) have highly successful hockey teams and are a major draw which many teams will fall backwards over to play, especially if they can get them to play at their opponents rink. UND is a highly respected team in hockey and they do generate a following but given the choice between playing UND or Minnesota/Wisconsin, I think most teams would choose the Big Ten schools. Consider this, although it is not the same, NDSU will play Minnesota but not UND because they perceive it as a better game for them for a couple reasons starting with money and the hype that it provides to its program.

]I think it hurts UND more than Minnesota/Wisconsin to not play each other. Maybe not immediately but over time. It could be argued that Michigan (and to a lessor extent, Michigan State) had strong rivalries with UND when they were in the WCHA and look at the lack of a rivalry with those teams now.

Your right, that is not the same at all. UND isn't going to pay ndsu a couple hundred thousand for a game. I'm also guessing if UND hockey was to pay a school that amount of money they would sign the contract in a second. The money has a lot more to do with it than the hype, don't kid yourself. That game is no different than NDSU playing Wyoming or Colorado St. And a final fact and maybe someone could help me find it cause I know its listed somewhere, take away the outdoor game last year at Camp Randall and something like 4 of the top 5 attended games at Wisconsin for hockey when they played UND. Hell the top attended games for most schools in the WCHA aren't when they play Minnesota and Wisconsin, its when they play UND.

I don't agree with the earlier statement that it will hurt Wisconsin more than UND but I won't get on a board and post absolute nonsense to try and prove a point.

The Sioux, Denver, and CC are known for reciprocation and traveling to any rink, where Minnesota and Wisconsin try to cherry pick and only play in their building. Who would you want to play?

My speculation is that the WCHA will stick together and sign a non-conference deal that you have to play every WCHA team on a rotating schedule. This will allow Wisconsin an excuse to

The Sioux, Denver, and CC are known for reciprocation and traveling to any rink, where Minnesota and Wisconsin try to cherry pick and only play in their building. Who would you want to play?

My speculation is that the WCHA will stick together and sign a non-conference deal that you have to play every WCHA team on a rotating schedule. This will allow Wisconsin an excuse to

Wouldn't that make our players ineligible if they played against that competition?

I don't know for sure, but Michigan Tech played in Europe last fall and those teams were paid players. More and more, the college game is giving the Ca Major Jr's a run for there money, so it would be fun to see. Wisconsin needs to wake up and know you need to play the best to be the best. Going to the big 10 and scheduling cupcakes will get you 20 wins, but won't get you into the playoffs.

this will all be taken care of by 2013. it was supposed to be taken care of already but things got a little muddled this spring. my guess is this will be the last year of the Fighting Sioux as the legislation gave us a one year reprieve(sp).

this will all be taken care of by 2013. it was supposed to be taken care of already but things got a little muddled this spring. my guess is this will be the last year of the Fighting Sioux as the legislation gave us a one year reprieve(sp).

But its a state law(August 1st)...is the legislation going to say, "oops we messed up"? Can you say political death!!

But its a state law(August 1st)...is the legislation going to say, "oops we messed up"? Can you say political death!!

I don't disagree, but I can't see the NCAA backing down and AG doesn't sound like he really wants to go to court again over this. as much as i love the name and support it the best thing for UND and it athletic teams is to do what the NCAA says.

If the NCAA doesn't back down they're out of their minds and arrogant beyond belief. Do they really have the audacity to think that their policy trumps state law? I want to see these weasels taken to court and made an example of. You cannot threaten sanctions against a school for refusing to break the law. That is illegal.

Membership in the NCAA is voluntary.

No one is forcing UND to abide by NCAA rules; we can simply leave the organization if we don't like the conditions of membership.

The NCAA is trying to tell a member school that they must break a state law or else be hit with sanctions. I question the legality of that.

The question is the legality of the law? Actually, the NCAA is only re-imposing the initial sanctions which were that they can't host a post season event or have the logos on their jersey's when in the post season. The question of legality is whether the state can create a law to overcome the ruling of a lawsuit where the state made an agreement with the NCAA. I don't think it will but the NCAA would have a terrible public image issue as well. UND may be forced by the law to keep the name but the lawsuit agreement with the NCAA will probably also hold where the post season restrictions will apply. The law was 5 years late.

The NCAA is not voluntary if you have sports they are governed by the NCAA. There is no other governing body that I know of its a monopoly. As for Wis and Minn I still believe that they are screwing themselves with that policy remember that this year our biggest attended game was against Anchorage not Minn.

Membership in the NCAA is voluntary.

No one is forcing UND to abide by NCAA rules; we can simply leave the organization if we don't like the conditions of membership.

The problem is that the NCAA is basically becoming a monopoly because there are no viable options. They have shown that where big bucks are found, they aren't about to rock the boat with ethical concerns. The fact that the NCAA let 5 of Ohio State football players play in their Bowl game last year testifies to that. If the Bowl sponsor wouldn't have had a problem suspending the players, they would have been suspended. But since they raised a stink the NCAA put ethics to the side.