SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Name at AHCA meetings

The Sicatoka

I'm going to keep asking:

Is the NCAA a state actor based on this 2002 Supreme Court ruling? (The last time the NCAA was challenged on this front was 1999.)

What's a "state actor"?

There are a number of situations where the United States Supreme Court has recognized the conduct of individuals or private organizations to be

Membership in the NCAA is voluntary.

No one is forcing UND to abide by NCAA rules; we can simply leave the organization if we don't like the conditions of membership.

One thing I question is that what came first? The nickname or the rule. Since the NCAA had no problem with the nickname prior to 2005 questions whether they can tell the school to "break the law". UND has been the Fighting SIoux since the 30's the policy is 6 years old shouldn't the name trump the new policy. UND should be "grandfathered" in.

• Upvote 1

One thing I question is that what came first? The nickname or the rule. Since the NCAA had no problem with the nickname prior to 2005 questions whether they can tell the school to "break the law". UND has been the Fighting SIoux since the 30's the policy is 6 years old shouldn't the name trump the new policy. UND should be "grandfathered" in.

It is tough to get grandfathered in considering how many schools are really joining the NCAA nowadays? A few NAIA schools every now and then? How many of them will have Native American nicknames? Essentially the policy would be nothing. mikejm hit the nail on the head when he said membership is voluntary/

Conference change could end Badger/Sioux relationship

There is no doubt that the Wisconsin men's hockey teams biggest rival is the University of Minnesota. A close runner up is the University of North Dakota. Year in, year out Wisconsin and North Dakota play each other tight and it shows in the results over the past 10 seasons (Wisconsin has the slight upper hand 17-15-2).....

An interesting tidbit has surfaced recently in an article written by the Wisconsin State Journal's Andy Baggot. In the article Baggot notes that according to UW deputy athletic director Sean Frazier, who oversees men's hockey, Wisconsin won't be able to schedule North Dakota in non-conference games when the Badgers move out of the WCHA and to the Big Ten conference because of the University's stance on on Native American logo's and names.

More on the future of Wisconsin and North Dakota after the jump.

Lots of info in this piece.

Bottom line.....

"The Athletic Department discourages participation of teams in pre-season events or tournaments during the regular season in which schools on the NCAA list are also participating, unless the schedule is controlled by outside entities (e.g., the Big Ten Conference).

Would that count?"

I really have no clue but it might be the only possible way at this point that Wisconsin and North Dakota could continue playing each other unless North Dakota stops using the Fighting Sioux nickname.

In my opinion the Wisconsin athletic department needs to find whatever loophole it can to continue it's relationship with North Dakota. The Fighting Sioux are an powerhouse program that Wisconsin needs to keep on it's schedule by any means necessary.

• Upvote 2

In case anyone was still wondering where all of the "offensive" name/nickname stuff was heading.....

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/letters/122528314.html

This is a good response to an article advocating the renaming of Lake Calhoun. Remarkable. Let's take Washington off of the dollar bill and lets rename Washington State and Washington, DC. He owned slaves too, after all.

The NCAA is trying to tell a member school that they must break a state law or else be hit with sanctions. I question the legality of that.

You have it all wrong. The state law tells UND what it has to do. The state law doesn't mean a thing to the ncaa, is simply clarifies und position for the ncaa.

If the state law stays, the ncaa position will be clear and simple. . . sanctions. If the state law was gone, und might have some room to negotiate. The law doesn't do und any favors.

The ncaa response to the 11th hour state law will essentially be . . . oh that's nice. Looking at the situation any other way would be wishful thinking. The whole state law thing and the thought that it would have any impact on the ncaa was a big miscalculation by our not-so-wise legislators

You have it all wrong. The state law tells UND what it has to do. The state law doesn't mean a thing to the ncaa, is simply clarifies und position for the ncaa.

If the state law stays, the ncaa position will be clear and simple. . . sanctions. If the state law was gone, und might have some room to negotiate. The law doesn't do und any favors.

The ncaa response to the 11th hour state law will essentially be . . . oh that's nice. Looking at the situation any other way would be wishful thinking. The whole state law thing and the thought that it would have any impact on the ncaa was a big miscalculation by our not-so-wise legislators

Hey Herd, Bisonville called and they want their troll back... Why would an NDSU fan give a ratss @$$ about UND's name?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hey Herd, Bisonville called and they want their troll back... Why would an NDSU fan give a ratss @$$ about UND's name?

because many bison fans are residents of the state of north dakota and the nickname issue has an effect on the entire state, not just the little bubble around grand forks.

because many bison fans are residents of the state of north dakota and the nickname issue has an effect on the entire state, not just the little bubble around grand forks.

I wonder how many Bison fans would actually like UND to keep the name and somehow strike a deal with the NCAA to keep us off the sanctions list. My guess maybe 1 or 2.

I wonder how many Bison fans would actually like UND to keep the name and somehow strike a deal with the NCAA to keep us off the sanctions list. My guess maybe 1 or 2.

I wouldn't mind if they kept it, we already got our chants ready then :p Now about the sanctions.........I wouldn't mind if you guys were America's Cuba.

OK folks, here's how it works:

Just because someone uses unapproved language in this forum is not cause for all of you to reply (copy) it and effectively repeat it.

Just report it using the "Report" button.

The posts have been dealt with, as will the initial offender.

OK folks, here's how it works:

Just because someone uses unapproved language in this forum is not cause for all of you to reply (copy) it and effectively repeat it.

Just report it using the "Report" button.

The posts have been dealt with, as will the initial offender.

Amen, brother.

I would agree that the use of profanity has no place here and, as some have indicated, its use discredits the arguments presented by its user. However, I am not sure that banning would be appropriate necessarily but that is up to the moderators. While I am diametrically opposed to anything and everything this person has said, his positions have at least some measure of limited -- and I emphasize the word "limited" -- relevance/value. Respectful and cogent disagreement is welcomed so, hopefully, there is a teachable moment somewhere here.........

I would agree that the use of profanity has no place here and, as some have indicated, its use discredits the arguments presented by its user. However, I am not sure that banning would be appropriate necessarily but that is up to the moderators. While I am diametrically opposed to anything and everything this person has said, his positions have at least some measure of limited -- and I emphasize the word "limited" -- relevance/value. Respectful and cogent disagreement is welcomed so, hopefully, there is a teachable moment somewhere here.........

I actually think the use of Bison is a swear word and place it in the same profanity category as NCAA...Both undesirable and ignorant...hopefully the children can be spared and these words will be removed from our langauge soon... :)

• Upvote 2

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/hockey/article_3b452884-852a-11e0-b169-001cc4c002e0.html

So Wisconsin has said it's a problem.

What happens if Minnesota also decides to enforce its policy?

Frazier needs to quit worrying about UND's moniker and instead start worrying about how to avoid "offing" himself as a direct result of his own abject stupidity.

Frazier needs to quit worrying about UND's moniker and instead start worrying about how to avoid "offing" himself as a direct result of his own abject stupidity.

So, there is concern about whether fans from schools other than U of M and U of W would travel to St. Paul for the league championship. If that isn't prescient about about BTHC financial/attendance issues, I don't know what is.