SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Lots of spin on the BSville, gee I seem to remember there was a thread a mile long over there about their perception of broken promises related to UND and its quarterback recruiting - right about the time they should have been discussing their national championship.

Everyone moooves on in different ways I guess. Based on the opportunities we have for football opponents now, it's not a big deal if we meet on a yearly basis ever again to me - trolls just add fuel to that feeling.

Not a broken promise if someone is at a position for 2 years and is not going to see the field so you switch them somewhere where they can contribute to the team better.

Not gonna read em, not gonna respond to them - let's start ignoring the trolls that feel like they have to "correct" us on every comment made on a UND Fan Board.

This is awesome. I am picturing a little kid plugging his ears going "la la la la la la la... I'm not listening to you... la la la la."

I apologize on behalf of the rest of the Bison fans for attempting to add relevant information to the conversation about NDSU.

Have you ever attended a Sioux/Bison football game? I attended almost every one since I was 5 or 6 years old. I want that atmosphere back in the Alerus. I want to go to the Fargodome wearing my Sioux gear. The last Nickel Trophy game is my favorite sporting event I've ever attended, and I've seen some pretty awesome stuff. From a fan perspective, there isn't a single FCS team I would rather see in the Alerus for a regular season game. Not a single one. That is why I'm obsessed with getting this game back on the schedule. Faison and Taylor have offices that are 70 miles apart, but they're 1000 miles apart on this issue and its sad.

When the Gophers schedule NDSU in FB, it lifts our entire program up, it provides huge exposure, it helps recruiting, and fans and alumni view the school in a different light. These games are craved by NDSU, and viewed as ho-hum and a risk by MN. The gophers are selective about scheduling NDSU in football too often, if for no other reason than maintaining its leverage vs. a neighboring team that recruits in its backyard.

NDSU football is in a leverage position right now vs UND (sorry, that's just the way it is), and some of the same items that I listed above apply, although it's a different animal than MN vs NDSU, with both of us being on the same level. Therefore, I understand why GT is not in a hurry to schedule UND. You can keep your heads in the sand and think otherwise, but there is not a big advantage for NDSU to schedule this game. The off-the-hook atmosphere that the fans want has been found in other games, especially the playoff run last year. This game does little for NDSU, while lifting up UND. For me personally, I would miss an annual FBS game more than I lament the end of the series with UND. Would I like the game? Yes, but it is not a huge void. The games I really crave are the FBS games where there's more national attention.

This advantage for NDSU is short term and mostly related to our DI transition coming first, but right now NDSU is in a leverage position. This changes the dynamic, and its not surprising that the game has been slow to get scheduled.

When the Gophers schedule NDSU in FB, it lifts our entire program up, it provides huge exposure, it helps recruiting, and fans and alumni view the school in a different light. These games are craved by NDSU, and viewed as ho-hum and a risk by MN. The gophers are selective about scheduling NDSU in football too often, if for no other reason than maintaining its leverage vs. a neighboring team that recruits in its backyard.

NDSU football is in a leverage position right now vs UND (sorry, that's just the way it is), and some of the same items that I listed above apply, although it's a different animal than MN vs NDSU. Therefore, I understand why GT is not in a hurry to schedule UND. You can keep your heads in the sand and think overwise, but there is not a big advantage for NDSU to schedule this game. The off-the-hook atmosphere that the fans want has been found in other games, especially the playoff run last year. This game does little for NDSU, while lifting up UND.

The game is a huge risk for ndsu. They would be embarrassed with a loss since they act as a far superior team. But with a victory they can prove that they are in fact what they say they are as the boss of ND MM and SD. Typical of NDSU to duck a challenge that carries consequences to their facade.

• Upvote 4

With the schedules UND has in future years this game isn't any more important to one school over the other anymore. UND absolutely doesn't need the NDSU game. Look at UND's future schedules and you will see what I am saying. Quit drinking the Kool Aid. Nobody is buying it anymore.

• Upvote 2

The game is a huge risk for ndsu. They would be embarrassed with a loss since they act as a far superior team. But with a victory they can prove that they are in fact what they say they are as the boss of ND MM and SD. Typical of NDSU to duck a challenge that carries consequences to their facade.

So are the Gophers ducking NDSU when they choose to play us every 4-5 years? No, they are doing what in their best interest.

With the schedules UND has in future years this game isn't any more important to one school over the other anymore. UND absolutely doesn't need the NDSU game. Look at UND's future schedules and you will see what I am saying. Quit drinking the Kool Aid. Nobody is buying it anymore.

Yes I agree, that is correct. UND now has an 8 game conference schedule, so the NDSU game is less important.

NDSU football is in a leverage position right now vs UND (sorry, that's just the way it is), and some of the same items that I listed above apply, although it's a different animal than MN vs NDSU, with both of us being on the same level. Therefore, I understand why GT is not in a hurry to schedule UND. You can keep your heads in the sand and think otherwise, but there is not a big advantage for NDSU to schedule this game. The off-the-hook atmosphere that the fans want has been found in other games, especially the playoff run last year. This game does little for NDSU, while lifting up UND. For me personally, I would miss an annual FBS game more than I lament the end of the series with UND. Would I like the game? Yes, but it is not a huge void. The games I really crave are the FBS games where there's more national attention.

This advantage for NDSU is short term and mostly related to our DI transition coming first, but right now NDSU is in a leverage position. This changes the dynamic, and its not surprising that the game has been slow to get scheduled.

My favorite quote!!! So UND a DI counter school which is 70 miles from Fargo does little for NDSU except save money because you don't have to pay UND 250,000 to drive to Fargo in 1 day and drive back when the game is done. It does little for NDSU but get nationwide attention due to Fox College Sports not just KVLY. It does little in recruting if say someone is torn between UND and NDSU. Instead NDSU wants to act like the big bad wolf and play teams like the Wagners, PV A&M, and St. Francis so when they win 70-0 it makes them all warm and fuzzy and their fans can keep acting like NDSU is God in the FCS world. Where if UND comes to town then NDSU may lose since UND has only lost ONE game in the Fargodome since 1994 (their first meeting 34-13 UND victory). Then NDSU could a playoff bubble team as you need 7 wins for playoffs, plus recruits that are torn between the schools would then go to UND over NDSU, plus NDSU's #1 sport would be tainted by UND's #2 sport. Oh what should GT do??? I know.... blame UND for breaking the series in 2004 and never again to play them unless its the playoffs, and schedule extremely weak FCS teams like St. Francis and Prairie View and charge NDSU a quarter of a million dollars to bring them to Fargo for the annual ass kicking. Good plan Gene. :silly:

• Upvote 1

I gotta give some credit to Herd on this one; he makes good points. While there might be some past animosity from NDSU officials, in the end it is a justifiable position NDSU has taken for the reasons Herd listed. Having said that though, I still want to see the series resumed because I believe the reasons for playing the game out weigh those reasons.

Now should we meet in the playoffs (prior to the series resuming), UND had better show up and make the statement.

I gotta give some credit to Herd on this one; he makes good points. While there might be some past animosity from NDSU officials, in the end it is a justifiable position NDSU has taken for the reasons Herd listed. Having said that though, I still want to see the series resumed because I believe the reasons for playing the game out weigh those reasons.

Now should we meet in the playoffs (prior to the series resuming), UND had better show up and make the statement.

But...if UND beats NDSU in the playoffs that would be another reason GT would stay away from scheduling UND. Can't take an OOC loss when a playoff berth is on the line. As long as Gene Taylor is at NDSU....NDSU vs UND in football will never happen (unless its the playoffs).

But...if UND beats NDSU in the playoffs that would be another reason GT would stay away from scheduling UND. Can't take an OOC loss when a playoff berth is on the line. As long as Gene Taylor is at NDSU....NDSU vs UND in football will never happen (unless its the playoffs).

You are most likely correct.

Edit: Which further validates the things Herd is saying. NDSU has a formula to make the playoffs, and playing UND would mess that up. Not saying I agree with NDUS's philosophies, just that they are what they are and they are legitimate for the most part. Anyway, GT is staunch in these things so I doubt he will change.

So are the Gophers ducking NDSU when they choose to play us every 4-5 years? No, they are doing what in their best interest.

No, they are doing you a favor when they play you because they are in FBS and you are in FCS. MVFC is not equal to Big 10, even U of Minnesota Big 10. Not a comparable situation at all. You and your Bville buddies need to get over yourselves.
  • Upvote 1

Not an apples-to-apples comparison and you are well aware of it.

Both UND and NDSU have had troubles filling their non-conference games in the past and it is only going to get tougher and more expensive. Not saying it needs to be every year, just like Gene Taylor has asked for. He has said that he would only entertain a one-time two game contract to start with and the first game needs to be in Fargo. Everything reported out of both Grand Forks and Fargo is Faison has agreed and put it on the table. Why won't Taylor sign the exact contract he asked for?

Not an apples-to-apples comparison and you are well aware of it.

Both UND and NDSU have had troubles filling their non-conference games in the past and it is only going to get tougher and more expensive. Not saying it needs to be every year, just like Gene Taylor has asked for. He has said that he would only entertain a one-time two game contract to start with and the first game needs to be in Fargo. Everything reported out of both Grand Forks and Fargo is Faison has agreed and put it on the table. Why won't Taylor sign the exact contract he asked for?

Because GT is waiting for the ultimate option....UND or NAIA/DII. Until the last FCS team is used up will he call UND for a game. Then he can use that excuse (for himself) but look like the hero for the renewed rivalry to everyone else.

I'm sorry. I cannot respect Herd's position. If UND goes out and wins the next 3 national championships, I would still want the game to be played because the rivalry is bigger than the idea that the moment one school has a bit more success they can pretend like they have better things to do.

• Upvote 1

No, they are doing you a favor when they play you because they are in FBS and you are in FCS. MVFC is not equal to Big 10, even U of Minnesota Big 10. Not a comparable situation at all. You and your Bville buddies need to get over yourselves.

Does NDSU fans think the Gophers are always going to be bad? The next Idaho of the Big 10? The next time they play and Minnesota crushes NDSU....Bison fans will demand never to play the Gophers (maybe thats why they don't want to play UND).

Wait a second, are you telling me that UND and NDSU compete at the same ncaa level?

I'm sorry. I cannot respect Herd's position. If UND goes out and wins the next 3 national championships, I would still want the game to be played because the rivalry is bigger than the idea that the moment one school has a bit more success they can pretend like they have better things to do.

I agree. But thats a matter of opinion. Ours is obviously different then that of Herd and NDSU. I just think neither is "wrong" and its not worth fighting about (I guess it is worth it for the entertainment though).

Minnesota doesn't want to schedule NDSU because they don't want to lose to a team they feel they should beat. It would hurt them big time in recruiting. This is the same reason NDSU does not want to schedule UND!!! I don't blame GT. I wouldn't want to schedule a team that I was afraid to lose to either!! :)

• Upvote 1