SiouxSports.com Forum

Dell

Fetch

How much do we owe Karl Goerhing for bringing Dell along. Dell wasn't very good last year. This year he's the best in the country.

I don't think this is coincidence. Goerhing was small and had to be positionally sound and could make the highlight save on occasion. Dell isn't as small, but he has been the other two. Three months ago after seeing Dell play in person I felt the best about our goalie situation since Goerhing was tending the net.

Dell is fantastic. He is one of the best positional goalies I've seen play in the wcha for quite awhile. Not trying to take away anything from aaron's accomplishments but he is playing behind one of the best defenses the Sioux have had in a really, really long time. Some credit is due there.

I am a Sioux fan, but I also watch a lot of other hockey, and UND is clearly the strongest team in the nation top to bottom. Let's get number eight!

I don't think this is coincidence. Goerhing was small and had to be positionally sound and could make the highlight save on occasion. Dell isn't as small, but he has been the other two. Three months ago after seeing Dell play in person I felt the best about our goalie situation since Goerhing was tending the net.

Agreed. Its such a luxury when you know that you have great goaltending backing you up. A lot of the media in the WCHA didn't give him a lot of credit (looking at you Ciskie), but he has quietly put together an All-American type season for the Sioux.

I miss Karl in the net.....gosh was he steady....

If we win #8, I suspect Dell will be gone. Moving on to the next goals in his career. Eddie moved on to the next level after a season that accomplished all thier goals.

I highly doubt that. I don't want to play the IF game, but he'll be here until at least junior year. Rarely can goalies make the jump straight to the NHL or even AHL.

I miss Karl in the net.....gosh was he steady....

I don't, we have Dell who is just as steady. That's what we've been missing the last several years is a steady stay at home goalie. Eids even though he's solid, is far too aggressive in the net then I like to see.

Dell's save on the 2 on 1 in I believe the 2nd or 3rd period when we had the PP was huge. All it would have taken is for a goal to slip in and that game's energy would have shifted.

I highly doubt that. I don't want to play the IF game, but he'll be here until at least junior year. Rarely can goalies make the jump straight to the NHL or even AHL.

Eddie was gone after one season. If #8 comes, what would Dell goals be for next season? Repeating at the same level, which would be awesome, may not be his goals.

Eddie was gone after one season. If #8 comes, what would Dell goals be for next season? Repeating at the same level, which would be awesome, may not be his goals.

#9 and #10 - Third team to win 3 straight MacNaughtons, getting above .500 against Minnesota before the series ends. Lots of things to shoot for as a team.

Also a Hobey, breaking Ryan Miller's records (shutouts season and career, season Save Pct., etc.) Sticking around didn't seem to hurt Miller any.

I think the tutelage of Karl Goehring for two more years can't be underestimated. I'm guessing maybe Eddie the Eagle might be in during the summer to offer some lessons as well. That's like becoming part of the Tretiak goalie family tree.

He just won the starting job, Dell that is. So much more to accomplish as an individual and as a team player. To assume that he has nothing left to accomplish is crazy. Why didn't Muse from BC leave after his freshman and junior years(Those were both title years for him and BC)? Development, a degree, another championship, his teammates and coaches, are I'm sure among the reasons why he didn't leave.

Why would Dell leave after one amazing season? It's really hard to compare Belfour and Dell to each other unless you expect Dell to start in the NHL next season. Yes Dell just passed him in wins, but does that translate into NHL/AHL success?

Also he's not drafted, yes he probably could get a contract from a pro team and bounce around like Lamoureux, JParise, and KarlG, but NHL teams want to see consistency. One great season, behind the nations top D core does help, if I'm an NHL GM I'd wait until his Junior season to even think about offering a contract.

If we win #8, I suspect Dell will be gone. Moving on to the next goals in his career. Eddie moved on to the next level after a season that accomplished all thier goals.

Also with this thought process in mind, we can say goodbye to Hextall, Gregoire, Kristo, Blood, MacWilliam, Dell, Eids, Forbort, Nelson, and the list goes on and on.

The attitude with Sioux hockey is all about the team. The way the players buy into the Sioux way/business way of doing things are amazing and thats why we have players staying another year or two (ex: Duncan, Oshie, VandeValde, Frattin, Genoway, Malone, Gregoire)

Also with this thought process in mind, we can say goodbye to Hextall, Gregoire, Kristo, Blood, MacWilliam, Dell, Eids, Forbort, Nelson, and the list goes on and on.

The attitude with Sioux hockey is all about the team. The way the players buy into the Sioux way/business way of doing things are amazing and thats why we have players staying another year or two (ex: Duncan, Oshie, VandeValde, Frattin, Genoway, Malone, Gregoire)

I'd also like to add that the coaches and former players that currently play in the NHL have a clear perspective on playing professional hockey. Not every player that plays for the Sioux/get's drafted is going to move forward and have a promising professional career. I think the coaches/current players in the NHL are great advocates in educating Fighting Sioux hockey players. After all, you only get one chance to experience college/college hockey after that it becomes strictly business and playing in the AHL or lower minor leagues is a grind.

Dell has been very good, but goaltending in the Frozen Four is what defines a Sioux Goalie.

Interesting point brought up here. In Grand Forks, legends are made in the Frozen Four. I think back on some of the great teams that barely fell short of glory and they aren't even recognized in Sioux history really (ex 1979 2001 2004 2005 and too many Frozen Four teams). What we celebrate are NCs. Thankfully we do have that standard at UND and players strive for it.

Interesting point brought up here. In Grand Forks, legends are made in the Frozen Four. I think back on some of the great teams that barely fell short of glory and they aren't even recognized in Sioux history really (ex 1979 2001 2004 2005 and too many Frozen Four teams). What we celebrate are NCs. Thankfully we do have that standard at UND and players strive for it.

Or in St Cloud they're proud of the times they made the top 16....