SiouxSports.com Forum

Opinions on Fighting Sioux

GeauxSioux

Yes, and I'm sure that U of M and U of W will find ways to do it based upon "prior commitments" and "historic program affiliations with the school". Translation: There are a lot of ND fans/natives living in MN and WI and they'll pay a lot of money to see their team play ours.

Judging from today's herald, some of the world's best hockey recruits are set to arrive in the fall, funny how that issue of

recruiting doesn't affect the hockey program. The world's elite talents still wish to play here. The program continues to sponser

the entire athletic department , has the most connection to Fighting Sioux, and is annually a national powerhouse. What a reason

to smile, glad my expectations aren't tied to the Bisonville pigskin.

[quote name='PhillySioux' timestamp='1303391518' post='504778']

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/316817/

Latest from Forum Editorial Board

[/quote]

The Legislature's less-than-thoughtful stance..." - how about the NCAA's "less-than-thoughtful" stance? Why don't the moronic jackasses that populate the Forum editorial board do a piece on that? Maybe a two-by-four between the eyes will help get their attention. I hereby volunteer my humble services to apply the attention 'treatment' to each and every board member, repeatedly, if necessary. On second thought - necessity doesn't enter into it.

Judging from today's herald, some of the world's best hockey recruits are set to arrive in the fall, funny how that issue of

recruiting doesn't affect the hockey program. The world's elite talents still wish to play here. The program continues to sponser

the entire athletic department , has the most connection to Fighting Sioux, and is annually a national powerhouse. What a reason

to smile, glad my expectations aren't tied to the Bisonville pigskin.

What if the new NCAA playoff hockey proposal gets passed? Would that change your guys minds about the nickname? Being a top team and then travelling to say....Notre Dame or Maine for a playoff series(we all saw how the maine series worked out)

Florida State is not sanctioned by the NCAA for its use of the "Seminole" nickname and imagery - On a flight today I picked a copy of Sky Magazine and in browsing through it found an advertisement for Florida State's College of Business and Management. The ad was a professor with maroon and yellow war paint striped on his face with the caption -" FSU - war paint for the business of business". What the hell is the definintion of "hostile and abusive" and how can any organization that does not censure this kind of publicity from one of its (acceptable nickname) members, penalize an institution that goes out of its way to avoid such uses of native imagery? Did the Turtle Mountain Tribal Council fully appreciate what they were approving when they passed their resolution supporting the NCAA policy on native nicknames and imagery - the "war paint" ad from Florida State will not even appear on the radar of the NCAA, yet is exactly the kind of stereotyping the NCAA, nickname opponents, and tribal councils such as Turtle Mountain claim to be most offensive. For the NCAA to ignore examples such as this, while promising to enforce all its sanctions against another institution in its membership is hypocrisy of Biblical proportion.

Like It. +1

• Upvote 2

Florida State is not sanctioned by the NCAA for its use of the "Seminole" nickname and imagery - On a flight today I picked a copy of Sky Magazine and in browsing through it found an advertisement for Florida State's College of Business and Management. The ad was a professor with maroon and yellow war paint striped on his face with the caption -" FSU - war paint for the business of business". What the hell is the definintion of "hostile and abusive" and how can any organization that does not censure this kind of publicity from one of its (acceptable nickname) members, penalize an institution that goes out of its way to avoid such uses of native imagery? Did the Turtle Mountain Tribal Council fully appreciate what they were approving when they passed their resolution supporting the NCAA policy on native nicknames and imagery - the "war paint" ad from Florida State will not even appear on the radar of the NCAA, yet is exactly the kind of stereotyping the NCAA, nickname opponents, and tribal councils such as Turtle Mountain claim to be most offensive. For the NCAA to ignore examples such as this, while promising to enforce all its sanctions against another institution in its membership is hypocrisy of Biblical proportion.

If I remember correctly, the Seminole tribes in Florida demanded that the school keep the nickname. Florida St. probably gives them a ton of money too. They also have one of the most recognizable fight songs, they appear to be extremely close with the tribes down in Tallahassee.

If I remember correctly, the Seminole tribes in Florida demanded that the school keep the nickname. Florida St. probably gives them a ton of money too. They also have one of the most recognizable fight songs, they appear to be extremely close with the tribes down in Tallahassee.

However the Seminole tribes elsewhere (Okalahome I believe) are against the name...kinda like all these Sioux tribes of SD, NE, MT, etc against our nickname. But its okay since the closest Seminole tribe to the college okay'd it....sound familar (Spirit Lake).

Since they approved, can Florida State fans do anything they want and have no fear of reprisal? Tomahawk chop- O.K., War paint - O,K. Flaming spears -O.K. Mock scalping -?

Get real NCAA!

However the Seminole tribes elsewhere (Okalahome I believe) are against the name...kinda like all these Sioux tribes of SD, NE, MT, etc against our nickname. But its okay since the closest Seminole tribe to the college okay'd it....sound familar (Spirit Lake).

The Oklahoma tribe also gave its approval. The problem with that is the NCAA initially took the word of a few individuals in Oklahoma who were against but ignored everybody else. Long story short but the Oklahoma tribe also gave permission

The Florida State traditions are cool, you can't deny it. You have to admit that they do it right. Way back in the day... the 80's for many of you on here that was back in the day, I got to attend a FSU game at Doak versus Auburn. The stadium has since been remodelled. But the chop & chant was just amazing-your skin was tingling and when Chief Osceola road in on that white horse with that flaming spear- during a night game no less- it was mind blowing. To be honest with you, I think if we had more of that stuff... I think the name and logo would be that much more popular and would be that much more difficult for the NCAA to deal with.

The Oklahoma tribe also gave its approval. The problem with that is the NCAA initially took the word of a few individuals in Oklahoma who were against but ignored everybody else. Long story short but the Oklahoma tribe also gave permission

Just to be clear - they did not approve but stated that they would not object to the nickname useage.

Ken Chambers, principal chief of the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma, in a story Thursday in The Palm Beach (Fla.) Post, said he had no objection to the school's use of Seminoles as a nickname and mascot, reversing the position of a tribe spokesman earlier this summer. That would align the Oklahoma Seminoles with the Seminole Tribe of Florida, which has long given FSU its blessing. Several calls by USA TODAY to Chambers were not returned Thursday.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2005-08-11-fsu-mascot-support_x.htm

The Florida State traditions are cool, you can't deny it. You have to admit that they do it right. Way back in the day... the 80's for many of you on here that was back in the day, I got to attend a FSU game at Doak versus Auburn. The stadium has since been remodelled. But the chop & chant was just amazing-your skin was tingling and when Chief Osceola road in on that white horse with that flaming spear- during a night game no less- it was mind blowing. To be honest with you, I think if we had more of that stuff... I think the name and logo would be that much more popular and would be that much more difficult for the NCAA to deal with.

I do enjoy the traditions they do, I hate their teams, but I do think the stuff they do is pretty cool beans.

• Upvote 1

I do enjoy the traditions they do, I hate their teams, but I do think the stuff they do is pretty cool beans.

Like we care what you think.Head on back to bisonville and plead for your buddy lakes reinstatement.Don't forget to get ma and pa's permission.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/202923/

Probably, the first Herald editorial in a while that will be supported here.

Interesting if not surprising perspective by the Herald but the legislature itself is on the back burner right now on the nickname issue.

What is going to happen next is the AG Stenehjem is going to have to decide whether or not it's legal for the legislature to order UND to keep the nickname and logo or whether they overstepped their bounds by ordering it. Now whether he's going to do it pretty quickly at the request of the lawmakers who requested it this week or if he's going to wait until the SBHE officially requests him to do it, which I would guess will happen in their June meeting, is unknown. But either way, he is going to have to study and interpret this situation before anything else happens.

Once that question is answered, one of three paths will be followed:

Law is unconstitutional:

1) Retiring of nickname/logo will proceed as planned.

Law is constitutional:

1) Nickname/logo will stay and UND will live with sanctions imposed.

2) State will file suit against NCAA trying to get sanctions lifted.

As I've said before, we need this process to move along as quickly as possible so I'm hoping the AG is working on it now and not waiting until the SBHE requests it down the road, this needs to be settled one way or another ASAP!

I'm not an attorney so if I'm mistaken on any of this there are enough lawyers on this board who can feel free to straighten me out. ;)

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/202923/

Probably, the first Herald editorial in a while that will be supported here.

I can't help but notice that every time there's a Fighting Sioux nickname story/editorial in the Herald all the opponents (all 4 of them) come out to comment about how racist or unethical supporters are. It seems like it's the same person using several screen names, GrandForkian is one that comes to mind.

I can't help but notice that every time there's a Fighting Sioux nickname story/editorial in the Herald all the opponents (all 4 of them) come out to comment about how racist or unethical supporters are. It seems like it's the same person using several screen names, GrandForkian is one that comes to mind.

I think he is either JBB or Lakesbison. Lakes has multiple screen names on both the Forum and the Hearld.

HEY GRANT SHAFT, when you talk with the NCAA, use this as part of your material.

Yes, the same old usual suspects: Grandforkian, Mirthful, Denny (I think this makes a peanut gallery).

Interesting if not surprising perspective by the Herald but the legislature itself is on the back burner right now on the nickname issue.

What is going to happen next is the AG Stenehjem is going to have to decide whether or not it's legal for the legislature to order UND to keep the nickname and logo or whether they overstepped their bounds by ordering it. Now whether he's going to do it pretty quickly at the request of the lawmakers who requested it this week or if he's going to wait until the SBHE officially requests him to do it, which I would guess will happen in their June meeting, is unknown. But either way, he is going to have to study and interpret this situation before anything else happens.

Once that question is answered, one of three paths will be followed:

Law is unconstitutional:

1) Retiring of nickname/logo will proceed as planned.

Law is constitutional:

1) Nickname/logo will stay and UND will live with sanctions imposed.

2) State will file suit against NCAA trying to get sanctions lifted.

As I've said before, we need this process to move along as quickly as possible so I'm hoping the AG is working on it now and not waiting until the SBHE requests it down the road, this needs to be settled one way or another ASAP!

I'm not an attorney so if I'm mistaken on any of this there are enough lawyers on this board who can feel free to straighten me out. ;)

I'm no attorney either, but i don't understand why we have to have an expedited process for this...First, its the law and get used to it...Second, don't do a thing until we have passed the predetermined date for NCAA sanctions. Once we incur the sanctions, then we have the discussions...I don't understand the rush as none of this affects us for another year or so anyways and we'll have time to negotiate it then once we have almost 2 years under this legislation. Given the above, why are we in need of a final decision - I'll use a tactic of the nickname naysayers...Don't we have more important things to work on then trying to strike down a law approved by the people's representatives...

BobIwabuchiFan

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1