SiouxSports.com Forum

What's the strongest Sioux lineup?

nodak hockey fanatic

A little pre final 5 fun. This is in no way to slight any Sioux player, but with all the guys who have filled in admirably this season, what's our best, strongest roster? Assuming everyone can go.

First two lines don't change, pony express and our "second" line that tops most first lines.

third line? Nelson, Kristo, Rodwell... Big if that Kristo to can go, but still think he can be a game changer, and on a third line with those two could be lethal.

I personally like Davidson, Lammy and Rowney as our energy line. Lammy and Rowney are solid, and have really like Davidson in the second half.

That leaves Dicken, Cichy, Gleason and Bruno out, tough call.

I think our top 6 dmen are Genoway, Blood, Mac, Marto, Forbort and a toss up between Lapoint and Simpson. Lapoints a senior and won't sit, so probably Simpson odd man out.

Damn that's a tough lineup! Go Sioux!

third line? Nelson, Kristo, Rodwell... Big if that Kristo to can go, but still think he can be a game changer, and on a third line with those two could be lethal.

Is there any update on Kristo? He has the ability to add a whole new level to that third line, if he is healthy and gets back to playing shape FAST.

anyone hear anything about Danny, is he likely to get back on the ice in the next 2 weeks?

Is there any update on Kristo? He has the ability to add a whole new level to that third line, if he is healthy and gets back to playing shape FAST.

anyone hear anything about Danny, is he likely to get back on the ice in the next 2 weeks?

Via Brad Schlossman on Twitter

"Hakstol says that Kristo is practicing but no word on game availability yet."

Via Brad Schlossman on Twitter

"Hakstol says that Kristo is practicing but no word on game availability yet."

That is good news. If he is healthy enough to play, maybe he gets in the lineup in the Final Five to get him a little game action again before the NCAA's. He has been a missing piece on that 3rd line.

Best lineup has the 3rd with Kristo, Nelson and Rowney. 4th line with Davidson, Mario and Rodwell.

That is good news. If he is healthy enough to play, maybe he gets in the lineup in the Final Five to get him a little game action again before the NCAA's. He has been a missing piece on that 3rd line.

Best lineup has the 3rd with Kristo, Nelson and Rowney. 4th line with Davidson, Mario and Rodwell.

I agree. Once we hit the regionals the Fourth line doesn't need to play much. With all of the TV timeouts you don't need 4 lines. The idea of rolling four lines doesn't work unelss the game is full of penalties and you need to give your top line players a break. I say we roll four lines at the Final Five to try to keep everyone fresh but once we hit the regionals we go to to three lines using Lammy on the penalty kill and in other strategic spots. Of course this is in the hope that Kristo can come back and play like he did before he got hurt.

I agree. Once we hit the regionals the Fourth line doesn't need to play much. With all of the TV timeouts you don't need 4 lines. The idea of rolling four lines doesn't work unelss the game is full of penalties and you need to give your top line players a break. I say we roll four lines at the Final Five to try to keep everyone fresh but once we hit the regionals we go to to three lines using Lammy on the penalty kill and in other strategic spots. Of course this is in the hope that Kristo can come back and play like he did before he got hurt.

I keep hearing about all the TV timeouts and how we don't need to roll 4 lines.

What's the TV timeout situation in the regionals/frozen four? Is it any different than what the league does?

I say roll 4 lines. We're going to be a #1 seed, so we can match-up wherever we need to on the ice if we have to. We've been doing that all year, why change now?

One thing that gives me just a little worry going into the tournament is what effect having both Genoway and Kristo back in the lineup at about the same time will have on the team rhythm that has been so good lately. They are both dynamic, creative players who add a dimension to the team. Partly because of that, their teammates sometimes get caught watching or not knowing quite how to respond to their play, I think. With Genoway, it's bringing the puck up--with Kristo it's the Kane-like play inside the blue line. The sioux have had weak opposition during their recent absence (compared to the rest of their schedule), but they have done well, and part of that has been everybody playing their roles well and minimizing mistakes. They have such solid defense and so many good forwards that sooner or later this team will score if they stay out of the box, and play otherwise solid hockey. The team is better with those guys, but in a one-and-done format where one or two mistakes can end the season, I hope the good position play continues.

Frattin - Malone - Trupp

Hextall - Knight - Gregoire

Kristo - Nelson - Gleason

Rowney - Lamoureux - Davidson

MacWilliam - Blood

Genoway - Forbort

Marto - LaPoint

Dell

Eidsness

Maris

The only changes I'd really make are putting in a healthy Kristo and MacWilliam. I opted for Rowney over Rodwell because I think Carter has shown more recently than Derek has. I REALLY like Rodwell, but I think it's just one of those odd man out situations.

Gleason has been a stud at forward, so it's hard to see him coming out of that position unless we need him at the blue line because of injury. I really wish I could take out Lamoureux, but we aren't as deep as other years at the center position, so he stays in. I really love the way Davidson plays...he's big, smart, and physical, so there's no way I can take him out. Brent and Rowney both have done some nice things when playing on the same line together.

Marto and LaPoint have played together for what seems like an eternity, other than we HAD to switch that pairing up, so they stay together. Genoway and Forbort have played nicely together, and then Blood and MacWilliam are our two most physical presences on the same D-pairing.

Dell brings something in net that I don't think the Sioux have seen in a long time. He's so calm, cool, and collected and rarely gives up a softy anymore. He's rarely out of position and doesn't go "fishing" for anything he shouldn't. I think this was something that we really needed this year, and he's brought it. When he first got thrown into the fire early on in the season, he was still getting up to speed with the college game having not seen a whole lot of action behind Eidsness, but he caught on quick and with him in net, I feel we can beat anyone.

All-in-all, I think we are as good as anyone top-to-bottom. I think we're getting better at spreading out our scoring beyond just a couple players, and we'll need that. We can't have a good team shut our top guys down, leaving the bottom lines to do the scoring.

Kristo is a big x-factor. If he gets rolling, and we have another dynamic scoring line as our third line, we are going to be a tough out. I just hope the low-end competition we've seen for a few weeks doesn't hurt us.

One thing that gives me just a little worry going into the tournament is what effect having both Genoway and Kristo back in the lineup at about the same time will have on the team rhythm that has been so good lately. They are both dynamic, creative players who add a dimension to the team. Partly because of that, their teammates sometimes get caught watching or not knowing quite how to respond to their play, I think. With Genoway, it's bringing the puck up--with Kristo it's the Kane-like play inside the blue line. The sioux have had weak opposition during their recent absence (compared to the rest of their schedule), but they have done well, and part of that has been everybody playing their roles well and minimizing mistakes. They have such solid defense and so many good forwards that sooner or later this team will score if they stay out of the box, and play otherwise solid hockey. The team is better with those guys, but in a one-and-done format where one or two mistakes can end the season, I hope the good position play continues.

Best analysis of this team I've read in weeks. Pinch when one shouldn't, skate and carry the puck when one should pass it, or just make a poor positional play is going to cost this team if anything does.

The Pony line has been rolling for one reason. JG and his line has been rolling for one reason. Mario and his line have been more than solid for one reason. Our D-man have been expceptional lately for one reason. They all know their roles and the stay within those roles and play it simple every shift. Free lancing, regardless of talent, causes structure and discipline to crumble. If Genoway can keep it simple and play within the structure of the the flow of the game, same if Kristo plays again, UND will be fine. There aren't going to be 6-1, 8-0 games from here on out. One ill advised play when it shouldn't be attempted or made IMO is probably one of the only ways this team gets beat from here on out.

Frattin - Malone - Trupp

Hextall - Knight - Gregoire

Kristo - Nelson - Gleason

Rowney - Lamoureux - Davidson

MacWilliam - Blood

Genoway - Forbort

Marto - LaPoint

Dell

Eidsness

Maris

If Kristo can play, Nelson centering and Gleason at wing would be a rock solid 3rd line...totally forgot about Gleason. His 1st go around at forward earlier this year was brutal IMO, but his most recent time there has been a 180. That line could be a huge mismatch.

Gleason played well last weekend, but Rodwell in general has been better upfront IMO.

The top 2 lines are no brainers.

Kristo, well, if he can go, he is certainly a dynamic player...definitely game changing on a third line. It really pressures an opponent's dcorps to have to worry about 3 elite talent wingers on 3 different lines.

I would, however, remove Danny from the powerplay.

SImpson vs Lapoint...wow, it is nice to be this deep...i used to criticize Derek a lot, but I have been pleasantly surprised by his play this year. SImpson bore the brunt of my criticism at the beginning of the year, mostly because I expected him to be Toewseresque based on his age and hype, but he has really become a solid performer. I dunno who I play. I guess Derek based on experience.

It is nice to know that we have two dmen who can play WELL in a pinch in Simpson and Gleason.

All that said:

Pony with Frattin and Trupp

Knight with Hexy and Gregoire

Nelson with Rowney and Kristo

Mario with Rodwell and Davidson

3rd and 4th lines rotate based on goal for the shift...meaning physical imposition vs scoring chance...BUT we continue to roll 4 lines. It makes a difference after the 10 minute mark of the 3rd.

Genoway and Blood

MacWilliam and Forbert

Marto and Lapoint

PP1: Pony, Gregoire, Frattin, Genoway, Forbert

pp2: Knight, Trupp, Hexy, Marto, Blood

pk1: Malone, trupper, Genoway, Blood

pk2: Knight, Frattin, Mac, Marto (quickly switching to Gregoire replacing Knight after a draw)

Game on the line, down by 1, goalie pulled, offensive faceoff: Pony, Knight, Frattin, Gregoire, Genoway, Marto. That's two centers in case one gets tossed.

Game on the line, up by 1, defensive faceoff: Pony, Knight, Gregoire, MacWilliam, Blood

• Upvote 2

Strongest lineup? I'll take the one the coaching staff puts out on the ice. You have to admit that the chemistry the past month has been great, even with the loss of Kristo and Genoway...Call me crazy but I'll take Rowney at 100% over a rusty Kristo through the playoff run...and I really like Genoway in the 3rd pairing of D-men. What an advantage to be so deep at the blue line...Andrew Mac is the key to all of this in my opinion...Hopefully he is good to go this weekend...later...