SiouxSports.com Forum

Tear it down

Fetch

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/194020/

I can not believe the attitude this guy has - it is almost now dis-respectful

Send your SBOHE a letter, saying give us some hope for saving the Name .................for once :angry:

I have lost any respect for this Wuss & the SBOHE - the State has to clip these peoples wings

Good luck changing something you don't own Kelley. Better start building another rink.

Good luck changing something you don't own Kelley. Better start building another rink.

Jody Hodgson said it already: Not one thing in that beautiful building is being changed. If UND does not get to host NCAA events there from here until perpetuity, c'est la vie.

• Upvote 2

Kelley can whine all he wants about how inconvenient the proposed legislation is for him. He can just suck it up. It's not quite the same for those of us forced to give it up but inconvenient is one way to describe it.

This feels a lot like the body telling the mind "you might be dead, but we're not willing to go quite yet, so don't pull the plug yet".

This will sort itself out one way or the other before too long. Shut up, quit whining and let it run its course. Those of us who "conveniently" have to give up the name would at least like to see every last drop of effort wrung out of the effort to save the name before they pry it from our stiff fingers.

Well their timing always seems to be negative to any hope of saving the name :angry:

He & the SBOHE has rubbed too many the wrong way

We can only hope that the whole State can see this & ask their Reps. to support the Name or there is a Referral vote

That's not true at all actually.

For one. The whole article written in the Herald today is about how they want to push the deadline back for changin the Ralph.

That quote just said Kelly says there is a contract/settlement stating the REA has to change.

Just referring to what he indicated in a previous Herald article. Maybe the additional time request is to allow Kelley to importune the REA officials and family to allow any changes at all. We all know what the settlement agreement provides for the REA but I don't think anyone from REA has publicly indicated that they informally signed off on the settlement agreement and agreed with the changes.

Jody Hodgson said it already: Not one thing in that beautiful building is being changed. If UND does not get to host NCAA events there from here until perpetuity, c'est la vie.

I looked up the cute little phrase you put at the end of your message ("Such is life") and this outcome is completely and totally unacceptable for our hockey programs (men and women). The hockey-only crowd is a funny group: on one hand, all they care about is hockey and that's it. But on the other hand, they genuflect to the all-powerful and all-important suits at REA management on anything and everything. Even on an outcome such as this that would permanently harm our hockey programs forever. That's consistency for you. ???

The whole, entire purpose of Ralph Engelstad using a large chunk of his fortune to build a $104 million hockey palace was to benefit the hockey program, the UND campus as a whole and the City of Grand Forks. If the suits that currently run REA decide that flexing their muscles as a "private organization" is more important than giving our teams every chance in the world to host regionals and national tournament games, then they are part of the problem and are not fulfilling the original mission of the arena. I know it's almost a sin on this forum to criticize REA for anything, but I don't really care. Not giving our teams a home ice advantage whenever possible tells all of us what is really important to them and it's not UND athletics. Period. Flame away all you want. :angry:

Not hosting these events will also hurt REA's bottom line (I believe the 2006 West Regional sold out all three games). And there is something REA should keep in mind as this process moves forward at a glacial pace; they need UND as much as UND needs them. Sioux hockey is the unquestioned main tenant of the arena. What would they do without our teams; bring in a Major Junior franchise from Canada? That would never work in a college hockey town like Grand Forks; I wouldn't give the time of day to something like that and most of our fans wouldn't either.

I think the solution is for UND and REA to sit down like the adults that they are and work out an agreement that is fair to both sides and that is good for UND athletics without being burdensome to REA's financial situation. But I suppose in this world, that might be asking too much. :(

• Upvote 2

If the suits that currently run REA decide that flexing their muscles as a "private organization" is more important than giving our teams every chance in the world to host regionals and national tournament games, then they are part of the problem and are not fulfilling the original mission of the arena. I know it's almost a sin on this forum to criticize REA for anything, but I don't really care. Not giving our teams a home ice advantage whenever possible tells all of us what is really important to them and it's not UND athletics. Period. Flame away all you want. :angry:

They're just saying what the public wants to hear. Look how unhappy the people in this thread and others are about UND not supporting the proposed legislation -- a lot of constituents want UND to do everything possible to try to save the name. For REA to talk about removing a single logo at this time would just rile people up but with no immediate benefit.

Assuming the logo/nickname go away as expected, once they've been retired for a while it will be easy for REA to start transitioning to the new nickname/logo without drawing any public ire. When the time is right they'll be able to announce that they're bringing in UND's new branding to support the teams and student athletes while keeping historic Fighting Sioux displays and structural logos to honor the program's rich tradition and history.

• Upvote 1

Now, as someone who HAS criticized REA many times in the past, I will agree that if they don't do what is needed to host post season games, they are part of the problem. But, I would also like to ask a question concerning this. Is the rule that the NCAA has worded so that UND cannot host something like the West Regional Hockey Tournament unless the logos are removed, or is it only that those said logos have to be removed from view of TV cameras? I mean, if the logo at center ice was removed, and if the people running the TV cameras are any good, then I could see where an event like that could be held, broadcasted, and still NOT violate NCAA rulings. Especially if the nickname is no longer an issue, and UND just goes by "North Dakota" for the time being. I personally don't see UND having the time or the money it needs to remove all those images from that building. AND, UND doesn't own it, so technically, they can't remove them. They can only politely ask, and REA needs to do what it needs to do to get post season events/tournaments in their building.

They're just saying what the public wants to hear. Look how unhappy the people in this thread and others are about UND not supporting the proposed legislation -- a lot of constituents want UND to do everything possible to try to save the name. For REA to talk about removing a single logo at this time would just rile people up but with no immediate benefit.

Assuming the logo/nickname go away as expected, once they've been retired for a while it will be easy for REA to start transitioning to the new nickname/logo without drawing any public ire. When the time is right they'll be able to announce that they're bringing in UND's new branding to support the teams and student athletes while keeping historic Fighting Sioux displays and structural logos to honor the program's rich tradition and history.

Very good perspective, Jim. Thanks!

I looked up the cute little phrase you put at the end of your message ("Such is life") and this outcome is completely and totally unacceptable for our hockey programs (men and women). The hockey-only crowd is a funny group: on one hand, all they care about is hockey and that's it. But on the other hand, they genuflect to the all-powerful and all-important suits at REA management on anything and everything. Even on an outcome such as this that would permanently harm our hockey programs forever. That's consistency for you. ???

The whole, entire purpose of Ralph Engelstad using a large chunk of his fortune to build a $104 million hockey palace was to benefit the hockey program, the UND campus as a whole and the City of Grand Forks. If the suits that currently run REA decide that flexing their muscles as a "private organization" is more important than giving our teams every chance in the world to host regionals and national tournament games, then they are part of the problem and are not fulfilling the original mission of the arena. I know it's almost a sin on this forum to criticize REA for anything, but I don't really care. Not giving our teams a home ice advantage whenever possible tells all of us what is really important to them and it's not UND athletics. Period. Flame away all you want. :angry:

Not hosting these events will also hurt REA's bottom line (I believe the 2006 West Regional sold out all three games). And there is something REA should keep in mind as this process moves forward at a glacial pace; they need UND as much as UND needs them. Sioux hockey is the unquestioned main tenant of the arena. What would they do without our teams; bring in a Major Junior franchise from Canada? That would never work in a college hockey town like Grand Forks; I wouldn't give the time of day to something like that and most of our fans wouldn't either.

I think the solution is for UND and REA to sit down like the adults that they are and work out an agreement that is fair to both sides and that is good for UND athletics without being burdensome to REA's financial situation. But I suppose in this world, that might be asking too much. :(

I am one of those hockey types you are taking about. I think you should have all the facts. UND will not host another NCAA regional because of the NCAA's rule for neutral sites, so UND won't be missing out on any money through the ralph for either hockey or basketball. Question is with football - how much does the Alerus get vs UND?

So when do we think of replacing Kelly. This guy comes in with his liberal thinking and wants to change us? I think that we as a state need to start appointing people who have a good North Dakota upbringing. This guy has no ties to ND in any way but he sure knows what is best for us.

Jim I agree with you - I will get over this ....Maybe - I hope not

On another note that is kinda mentioned here & it's my post so I should be able to Hi-jack it :D

I have a NDSU guy out here in Western ND that is giving me a bad time about being a Sioux Fan - he has Bison stickers on his vehicle & I have Fighting Sioux Logo stuff on mine - My biggest problem in countering his BS is I have never cared about the Bison in any way shape or form - I only usually just ask those kind of folks - (How's your Hockey Team doing) or Fargo (isn't that something they used to spray on sneaky wild oats)

Now if he was a Gopher fan I'd be able to hold my own - But I need help cause this good natured rivalary needs to be escalated - I was thinking about coming in & painting his office Kelly Green & put Sioux Logo on his computer - & his vehicle ...what else frys their cookies ? ? ? :)

I am one of those hockey types you are taking about. I think you should have all the facts. UND will not host another NCAA regional because of the NCAA's rule for neutral sites, so UND won't be missing out on any money through the ralph for either hockey or basketball. Question is with football - how much does the Alerus get vs UND?

I don't see the NCAA sticking with that "neutral site" rule; they will find it almost impossible to draw enough fans to make any money on the regionals and we all know that is one of the top two priorities for them; the other being political correctness. Division I basketball is at big regional sites, so that is definitely out the window. I can't answer the football question, that is something the athletic department would have to tell you.

All I really want is for our hockey programs to have every edge they can get; winning in the playoffs is hard enough as it is without any extra hurdles. As long as REA and UND work together for what is best for our programs, I won't have any problem with either of them.

Jim I agree with you - I will get over this ....Maybe - I hope not

On another note that is kinda mentioned here & it's my post so I should be able to Hi-jack it :D

I have a NDSU guy out here in Western ND that is giving me a bad time about being a Sioux Fan - he has Bison stickers on his vehicle & I have Fighting Sioux Logo stuff on mine - My biggest problem in countering his BS is I have never cared about the Bison in any way shape or form - I only usually just ask those folks - (How's your Hockey Team doing) or Fargo (isn't that something they used to spray on sneaky wild oats)

Now if he was a Gopher fan I'd be able to hold my own - But I need help cause this good natured rivalary needs to be escalated - I was thinking about coming in & painting his office Kelly Green & put Sioux Logo on his computer - & his vehicle ...what else frys their cookies ? ? ? :)

Maybe you could put a live Bison in his house when he isn't around... ;)

Good points Jim, thanks. I guess I am just really concerned about our programs and their continued future success. All this legalistic PC crap is giving me perpetual heartburn. :glare:

Maybe you could put a live Bison in his house when he isn't around...

I like that & I bet I could find one - But he is a Rancher & might like it :lol:

This guy goes back to the days of stealing the Nickel & he seems to remember the really negative Bison vs Sioux stuff - He was even on the board of Bison Foundation at one time --- but he is asking for it :huh:

• Downvote 1

I just want to know this. How could the NCAA enforce this (changing the REA) since its not a "UND" building its a Grand Forks building. It would be like NDSU trying to change the Fargodome its a city building not a University building. Its almost like a neutral site in a way. The old REA thats a University building, same with the Hyslop, and Memorial Stadium, but Kraft, BESC, REA, and Alerus are run by the city of Grand Forks not UND.