SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

The bottom line is that NDSU was aggressively recruiting Mollbeg and offered him a full ride. NDSU apparently didn't have a problem with his ankle sprain before he made his choice. I guess you can twist it however you want but I am just happy he chose UND over NDSU. It really bruises egos to the South when a kid choses UND over NDSU though.

it seems to me that they had been recruiting their qb commit out of nebraska longer and harder than mollberg. both sound pretty good. UND frankly had alot more to offer him in terms of playing time. He probably would have redshirted at either school, but mollberg will probably be starter as rs freshman, while having to wait for his RSsophomore year to even compete for a spot at ndsu. He made a smart choice on the circumstances and we needed him much more than they do.

We don't know what schwartzkopf was offered at NDSU

SDSU has two players from the same team just off the top of my head.

Edit: Although both players are from Circle Pines, MN, which is a suburb just north of the Twin Cities. I'd still think that counts though.

i checked bisonville a few days ago and someone was saying you guys have loaded class. NDSU lost a couple recruitment battles to you from what it looked like.

vames on GopherHole has posed an update on some Minnesota kids. Not much news for UND. Still hoping they can land Bungum, Ben McDonald and Sam Sura, although I don't know if they're talking to the latter two.

Bungum verbals to Army.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Adam-Bungum-124205

it seems to me that they had been recruiting their qb commit out of nebraska longer and harder than mollberg. both sound pretty good. UND frankly had alot more to offer him in terms of playing time. He probably would have redshirted at either school, but mollberg will probably be starter as rs freshman, while having to wait for his RSsophomore year to even compete for a spot at ndsu. He made a smart choice on the circumstances and we needed him much more than they do.

Not that it particularly matters at this point, but NDSU reportedly offered Mollberg back in April (per a tweet by Kolpack). I would be very surprised if they had offered McGinnis before then.

Schwartzopf is a walk on at UND. I am not sure how much money NDSU offered him but, he chose UND over NDSU. There are always reasons a kid picks one school over another. Mollberg picked UND over NDSU and we are just happy he did. NDSU obviously wanted him or they wouldn't have offered him a full ride. Bison fans are just going to have to accept it.

Schwartzopf is a walk on at UND. I am not sure how much money NDSU offered him but, he chose UND over NDSU. There are always reasons a kid picks one school over another. Mollberg picked UND over NDSU and we are just happy he did. NDSU obviously wanted him or they wouldn't have offered him a full ride. Bison fans are just going to have to accept it.

Yeah you got Molberg over us - seems like a good get.

I'm sure you guys are happy with the qb you guys got. Us UND fans are very happy to get both Molberg and Bartels. The coach at Indiana St. has done a good job turning that program very quickly the last couple of years by recruiting very well. Obviously Bartels is a very good qb and caught his eye in order to get an early offer from the Sycamores. I'm sure the qb you guys got from Nebraska will be a fine player for you but we are very happy with the guys we got and our recruiting class.

• Upvote 1

As far as Schwartzkopf, the guys on the football blog, a few posters here and I believe one newspaper article said he was a preferred walk on at UND. I'm not sure what you guys offered him but don't really know why it matters?

http://recruiting.sc.../2/1153431.html

http://recruiting.sc...c=1&nid=5612677

Nic Henson committed to Air Force over offers from UND & Montana.

Do you have a membership? The article also discusses Joey Counts (whom I believe UND had some interest in) and Stephen Arnold (who UND has an offer out to), so I was wondering what the article said about them.

There's a little Twitter battle/disagreement going on between Travis from wissports.net and Dom Izzo at WDAY regarding a supposed "soft verbal" from Marcus Horne to ndsu, who just committed to Michigan State.

First Mollberg, then Horne. :silly:

The Wisconsin sports guy flat out states that Horne told him he never committed to NDSU at any time but somehow Kolpack and Dom say he did. And now he ends up at Michigan State.

Hmmmm......who to believe? Priceless.

NDSU was on Mollberg from Day 1 and even after he committed to UND they told him they are not going to stop recruiting him. They eventually did and that's when they took the Nebraska kid.

Schwarzkopf was offered a preferred walk on spot at UND. So NDSU had to have offered somethng equal or more (PWO or money), there is no way possible they could have offered less.

Justin Arp from Forman will be the same situation as Schwarzkopf (offers from both schools).

There's a little Twitter battle/disagreement going on between Travis from wissports.net and Dom Izzo at WDAY regarding a supposed "soft verbal" from Marcus Horne to ndsu, who just committed to Michigan State.

First Mollberg, then Horne. :silly:

So two tweets is a twitter battle? Lol! Izzo has said all along that horne's coach told him ndsu awhile back. 99% of bison fans knew he wasn't going to end up on campus. Mollberg made the best decision for him, no doubt. But the bison are just fine at RB and qb for quite awhile anyway.

Mollberg is a great get for you guys no doubt about it.

What is the story on Caleb Belknap from Menasha? I see on Rivals he has an offer from Air Force and Minnesota was looking at him. His junior video is on Youtube, where he had an impressive 22 TDs.

I believe he committed to Duluth. Can't remember where I saw that.

So two tweets is a twitter battle? Lol! Izzo has said all along that horne's coach told him ndsu awhile back. 99% of bison fans knew he wasn't going to end up on campus. Mollberg made the best decision for him, no doubt. But the bison are just fine at RB and qb for quite awhile anyway.

Mollberg is a great get for you guys no doubt about it.

You missed the point. Dom Izzo said Marcus Horne soft verballed to ndsu, supposedly per Horne's HS coach....as of yesterday, Horne himself told Travis at WSN firsthand that he NEVER did soft verbal to ndsu.

This fall, Dom or Kolpack (can't remember which) reported that Mollberg had given ndsu his "FCS verbal" if he didn't go to the Big 10. A couple days later that was refuted by Mollberg himself in the paper....we know the end result. I can't remember what the source was for the Mollberg to ndsu "FCS verbal" in the article.

This is my point.

It's one thing to have a kid change his mind and decommit to another school, which happens a lot nowadays, but it is entirely another to be flat-out wrong about your initial report.

At best, it's irresponsible journalism......at worst, it's ndsu propaganda from the Fargo Forum and WDAY

Sorry, I'm back on topic now.

• Upvote 1

Maybe NDSU stretches the truth a little. It could be a strategy to make the kid feel an obligation to sign with NDSU when he really hasn'tmade up his mind. It could be as type of pressure strategy. That type of recruiting could backfire on you at some point.