SiouxSports.com Forum

Yale Hockey

gfhockey

it's been said in a few places that everything is all fine and dandy with yale hockey and that the player in question is eligible to play. investigation done.

Wodon has a slightly different take...

Eligibility of Yale Player questioned

As first reported on hockeybuzz.com and confirmed by College Hockey News, an anonymous letter was recently sent to some ECAC coaches, pointing out Cahill's eligibility issues and urging the coaches to follow up.

There is no indication the NCAA has even caught wind of this yet. Yale spokespeople deny there is any NCAA investigation currently going on. That doesn't mean it won't yet come.

Apparently, if Yale is concerned about this, it hasn't shown it. By playing Cahill last night, despite this letter already circulating, it would just be one more game Yale would have to forfeit.

Does this mean Yale is not concerned, or does it mean they don't know the situation?

ECAC coaches are not eager to discuss the letter, to varying degrees. No one wants to be associated with it, and for good reason — no one would want to be accused of being the one to stir the pot. The odds of any ECAC coach being responsible for this are next to zero, anyhow. More than likely, every ECAC coach would be supportive of Yale in this situation. Yale is having a tremendous season, and, among other things, it's good for the league to have Yale No. 1 in the country right now with a legitimate Frozen Four shot.

Sounds more like some anonymous whistle-blower tried to the stir the pot, but no one is interested in pursuing it, at this point.

From the INCH chat... I like how this guys thinks... :)

Matt (Chokio, MN)

Tell me that the Fighting Sioux are not the best team in the nation right now? Yale??? C'mon man I know they have only one loss but look at who they have played!

Joe Gladziszewski --- (2:26 PM)

The Fighting Sioux are not the best team in the nation right now. There. OK, as the Yale doubters have become more vocal in recent weeks (especially in regard to the schedule) let's put forth a little bit of a defense for the Bulldogs. Sure, their schedule hasn't been as difficult as some other teams. They also have four fewer losses than North Dakota. There are schedule limitations that every Ivy League team faces. If Yale could play 6-10 more games, they'd take on some bigger series for sure. But in that limit, they did travel to Colorado College and Air Force. They're not dodging people, they're handcuffed by some rules. And the results are convincing. Not a lot of one-goal squeakers in there.

Classic understatement right there...

Edited by Goon

From the INCH chat... I like how this guys thinks... :)

Classic understatement right there...

And two fewer losses. (And two fewer tires).

Maybe Yale is a good team, but there's no way to compare the schedule that we've played and the schedule they've played (34 hardest) and say that they are definitively the better team.

Bring on the rematch.

And two fewer losses. (And two fewer tires).

Maybe Yale is a good team, but there's no way to compare the schedule that we've played and the schedule they've played (34 hardest) and say that they are definitively the better team.

Bring on the rematch.

I totally agree with you on that one. Makes no sense how we can have the hardest schedule played more games and quality opponents and Yale has 34th ranked schedule. Cup cake opponents for most part and play less games. Once again East Coast BS

is yale better than us? that's up for debate I don't think they are but yale is what it is, an Ivy league school that has scheduling restrictions and a very weak schedule. they did beat us last year and in a one and done situation anything can happen. would they beat us in a best of 7, no way. let's not forget people were bashing TCU for it's "weak" schedule and in a one game setting they beat wisonsin. I would love to get another shot at Yale. the schedule we have played and willplay will prepare us beter for the ncaa's than yale. and if we end up as the number two team in the pairwise at the end of the year so be it as being the number one overall seed hasn't counted for much the past few years, except for BU.

is yale better than us? that's up for debate I don't think they are but yale is what it is, an Ivy league school that has scheduling restrictions and a very weak schedule. they did beat us last year and in a one and done situation anything can happen. would they beat us in a best of 7, no way. let's not forget people were bashing TCU for it's "weak" schedule and in a one game setting they beat wisonsin. I would love to get another shot at Yale. the schedule we have played and willplay will prepare us beter for the ncaa's than yale. and if we end up as the number two team in the pairwise at the end of the year so be it as being the number one overall seed hasn't counted for much the past few years, except for BU.

The part that I think is funny is that the ECAC fans are almost beligerant when anyone dares question the strenght of their league or the rankings of their teams. Yale actually tied Wisconsin and lost to them in a shoot out last year in the Wisconsin tourney.

Exactly, other than the fact that Yale might get a high seed, not playing a high level of competition on a consistent basis should hurt them in the tournament, right? On the other hand, they beat us last year, so what is our excuse. We don't play Bowl games at the end of the year, so I don't know why everybody gets so worked up about polls and rankings. If you listened to a lot of people on this site, you might believe the Sioux haven't played anybody good either, because if Duluth isn't good, then who exactly is.

Exactly, other than the fact that Yale might get a high seed, not playing a high level of competition on a consistent basis should hurt them in the tournament, right? On the other hand, they beat us last year, so what is our excuse. We don't play Bowl games at the end of the year, so I don't know why everybody gets so worked up about polls and rankings. If you listened to a lot of people on this site, you might believe the Sioux haven't played anybody good either, because if Duluth isn't good, then who exactly is.

It's not that I feel Duluth isn't good. Talented team, no doubt. I just don't feel they are AS GOOD as they are hyped up to be by certain media outlets.

In regards to Yale and us losing to them last year, no question we took them lightly. Frattin even admitted it on the radio after the game on Saturday. Anything can happen in a one and done tournament, but after taking the last 2 opponents in the NCAA's lightly, I don't think we will lose due to taking an opponent lightly this year.

I guess hearing that doesn't put my mind at ease as far as the tournament goes. Taking an opponent lightly in that format once is something that needed to be guarded against, but to do it twice, if that was indeed the case, then whose to say that a lot of the players think it can't happen again. Hopefully the upperclassmen can impart this to the others that may not be on their last go-around. I think they all should be well-versed now on the prospect of falling behind early in NCAA games, which has caused their demise in just about every NCAA loss in the last 5 or 6 years.

Let's assume for a moment that Yale has done something not quite in accordance with NCAA rules and the NCAA reacts to what has taken place with some type of punishment. How does that impact UND? Not one bit, with the exception that UND may climb into the #1 spot in the polls. And that gets you absolutely nothing. Winning your last four games of the year is what counts. It is time to quit thinking about Yale, because they are meaningless unless and until they meet the Fighting Sioux in the NCAA's. At that point they become meaningful.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, yes, and yes.

Yes, yes, and yes.

I think with the amount chest thumping that the ECAC media and that their fans have been doing, I think if the schedule plays out we will see the ECAC teams go back to traditional one or two ECAC teams in the NCAA tourney with them getting bounced in the first or second round. Then this circular argument will be mute and it's fun arguing with them. The old cliche that we can put a suit on a goat but it's still a goat.

I think with the amount chest thumping that the ECAC media and that their fans have been doing, I think if the schedule plays out we will see the ECAC teams go back to traditional one or two ECAC teams in the NCAA tourney with them getting bounced in the first or second round. Then this circular argument will be mute and it's fun arguing with them. The old cliche that we can put a suit on a goat but it's still a goat.

If I am correct Yale got beat today by Brown. We will see if they loose any ground in the polls. It appears as though they are holding steady in the Pairwise and KRACH at 1.