SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ MSU

AZSIOUX

The Sioux come off a very nice sweep over a St. Cloud team that can't seem find itself so far this season. Shorthanded a couple of top line forwards the Sioux took care of business Saturday for the stick salute! MSU swept the punchless gophers at home and got a stellar performance from their goalie Cook. He had 82 saves on the weekend. Sweep the purple cows..GO SIOUX

WCHA Standings

Pairwise Rankings

und.gif - Sioux Hockey Home Page

NCAA Division I Overall Record: 11-5-2 (.667)

Conference Record, WCHA: 9-3-0, 18 points

Home: 5-2-1 / Away: 5-3-1 / Neutral: 1-0-0

mnst.gif - Mavericks Hockey Home Page

NCAA Division I Overall Record: 6-6-4 (.500)

Conference Record, WCHA: 4-6-2, 10 points

Home: 3-1-2 / Away: 3-5-2 / Neutral: 0-0-0

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Sioux have played the toughest schedule so far how is denver in 3rd with the same record. Great weekend need 4 more next weekend from the mavs

That's RPI you're describing (where your record and your opponent's records, and your opponent's opponents records are mathematically combined), and the Sioux have a higher RPI than DU. SIoux are 3rd, DU is 4th,

The SIoux are 4th instead of third in the PWR for one simple reason: Maine. Those head to head losses have Maine winning the pairwise against us still, costing us 3rd...

MSUM still rocking the cowbells?

The Gophers outshot the Mavs both nights, but it looks like Cook came up big.

Get to him early for a goal or two and make them play our style.

Go Sioux!!

Did I hear correctly 50 shots and only 1 goal? Yikes. Hope that's an anomaly.

That's RPI you're describing (where your record and your opponent's records, and your opponent's opponents records are mathematically combined), and the Sioux have a higher RPI than DU. SIoux are 3rd, DU is 4th,

The SIoux are 4th instead of third in the PWR for one simple reason: Maine. Those head to head losses have Maine winning the pairwise against us still, costing us 3rd...

I know it's early and these rankings don't mean anything yet, but how can Yale be #1 in the KRACH rankings? I thought that system put a great deal of emphasis on strength of schedule.

I know it's early and these rankings don't mean anything yet, but how can Yale be #1 in the KRACH rankings? I thought that system put a great deal of emphasis on strength of schedule.

I'm sure that only having 1 loss is what pushes them to the top. They have a pretty good winning percentage.

Did I hear correctly 50 shots and only 1 goal? Yikes. Hope that's an anomaly.

Maybe the Gophs had the usual Sioux problem and couldn't pick a corner...

On another thread someone was talking about the Marto at Forward dynamic...maybe we should put together two lineup packages depending on the team we're playing...one more physical and one more skilled and fast...

Interesting thought regarding 2011-2012 (i know...way too early) , but at the moment I don't think that Gregoire or Kristo are NHL ready...Gregs could easily punch a ticket to a top two scoring line in the AHL, but that isn't the goal of leaving early...we could theoretically lose no underclassmen to the pros...Blood appears to be the closest, but I think he'd go to the AHL too. You should never leave early for the minors...

I'm sure that only having 1 loss is what pushes them to the top. They have a pretty good winning percentage.

Yup...KRACH is the best ranking system, but it isn't perfect. You can only make up so many points with SOS...undefeated against cupcakes will rank higher than .650 against a top schedule.

now .700 against cupcakes and .650 against a top schedule should tip to the tougher schedule...

Maybe the Gophs had the usual Sioux problem and couldn't pick a corner...

On another thread someone was talking about the Marto at Forward dynamic...maybe we should put together two lineup packages depending on the team we're playing...one more physical and one more skilled and fast...

Interesting thought regarding 2011-2012 (i know...way too early) , but at the moment I don't think that Gregoire or Kristo are NHL ready...Gregs could easily punch a ticket to a top two scoring line in the AHL, but that isn't the goal of leaving early...we could theoretically lose no underclassmen to the pros...Blood appears to be the closest, but I think he'd go to the AHL too. You should never leave early for the minors...

I'll respectfully disagree about Gregoire. I think the Isles could find a spot for him in their lineup. Hopefully we see him back next year, but wouldn't be surprised a bit to see him sign and skip his final year.

I'll respectfully disagree about Gregoire. I think the Isles could find a spot for him in their lineup. Hopefully we see him back next year, but wouldn't be surprised a bit to see him sign and skip his final year.

If he were 2 inches taller, he might have left last year.

I don't debate that he has great skill and potential to play in the NHL...the WI goal is an example, as are some of his puck possession displays, but...every single NHLer can do those things...he needs to differentiate himself further to be in the show, especially given his draft position...not that high...

For him to max his signing bonus and get a legit shot at the NHL going into camp, he needs another 20 goal and 20 assist season at a minimum...he's not on pace for that.

I hope to see him in the show someday, but his age and path requires that he really put up the numbers for him to maximize his shot. He'd already be an "older" rookie at camp...

I don't debate that he has great skill and potential to play in the NHL...the WI goal is an example, as are some of his puck possession displays, but...every single NHLer can do those things...he needs to differentiate himself further to be in the show, especially given his draft position...not that high...

For him to max his signing bonus and get a legit shot at the NHL going into camp, he needs another 20 goal and 20 assist season at a minimum...he's not on pace for that.

I hope to see him in the show someday, but his age and path requires that he really put up the numbers for him to maximize his shot. He'd already be an "older" rookie at camp...

Here's an honest question:

How much does Jason Gregoire compare to Drew Stafford?

Players being NHL ready has never stopped players from leaving early from college. :)

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if both Blood and Gregoire are gone after this season. Kristo's slow start might keep him around another year, which would be great.

Players being NHL ready has never stopped players from leaving early from college. :)

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if both Blood and Gregoire are gone after this season. Kristo's slow start might keep him around another year, which would be great.

I wouldn't be suprised either. I was suprised by how short Gregoire is though. I spoke breifly with him in the hall last night and he is NOT a large person. He did say that he was going to try and start skating again this week if his head clears. He also said he was wishing he could have been out there to get some of those points. Hopefully we have him back in Mankato.

I think Kristo needs to be a bit more patient with his shot. He seems to be forcing the situation a bit. If you watch Frattin, he picks and chooses his spots, and makes them count, so if Kristo took a page out of that book, I think you'd see him be more successful. It seems like every time he gets the puck he's just trying in any way possible to throw a puck on net and just hope. If you score a goal that way, it's more lucky than good...but we all know he has the skill to be a sniper based on what he did last year.

We've yet to see a lot of our skillful players get all the cylinders going. When they do, and if our defense and goaltending remains as consistent as it has been...watch out.

Dell's our guy now. Eidsness won't be forgotten, and is definitely capable of being a good goaltender, but it's Dell's team for now, and I have no problems or worries with that. He's gotten better each weekend it seems.

I think Kristo needs to be a bit more patient with his shot. He seems to be forcing the situation a bit. If you watch Frattin, he picks and chooses his spots, and makes them count, so if Kristo took a page out of that book, I think you'd see him be more successful. It seems like every time he gets the puck he's just trying in any way possible to throw a puck on net and just hope. If you score a goal that way, it's more lucky than good...but we all know he has the skill to be a sniper based on what he did last year.

We've yet to see a lot of our skillful players get all the cylinders going. When they do, and if our defense and goaltending remains as consistent as it has been...watch out.

Dell's our guy now. Eidsness won't be forgotten, and is definitely capable of being a good goaltender, but it's Dell's team for now, and I have no problems or worries with that. He's gotten better each weekend it seems.

Agreed about Kristo. He has put a lot of his shots right into the goalie's midsection.

Frattin, is a monster. He has such a wonderful shot. Our top goal scorer last year was Gregoire with 20...Frattin already has 15. We could very well be watching a 30-35 goal season. It's also not out of the realm of possibility to see him put up 40...something that hasn't been done in about 20 years in college hockey.

As for Dell, he's earned the start each night. I wouldn't mind seeing Eidsness get a couple of games in, but he has to earn it first.

Frattin, is a monster. He has such a wonderful shot. Our top goal scorer last year was Gregoire with 20...Frattin already has 15. We could very well be watching a 30-35 goal season. It's also not out of the realm of possibility to see him put up 40...something that hasn't been done in about 20 years in college hockey.

IMO we, as fans, are in the midst of watching something special. I know people will say Toews, Parise or Oshie as of late were arguably better, but this kids has a laser shot, can skate with anyone and is physical and strong as any forward we've had in awhile.

I enjoy watching him a much as anyone I've watched in a UND sweater!

Maybe this shouldn't be in SIOUX @ MSU, but I'll bite anyway...

Before Gregoire went out, I had the early departure percentages as follows:

Gregoire (currently a junior): 40%

Blood (junior): 30%

Eidsness (junior): <5%

MacWiliiam (sophomore): 20%

Kristo (sophomore): <5%

Forbort (freshman): 20%

Gregoire's injury certainly diminishes the chance that he'd give up his final year of eligibility, but it's still a possibility.

Anyone else I'm missing? Any thoughts?

Dave