SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference

GeauxSioux

My only fear in all this are the still coming conference realignments. It really seems like the west is where all the action is happening. So hopefully teams are staying (would love to see UNO move up). It will be an interesting time and I appreciate the work you put into updating us star.

Oddly enough the best thing that may happen for the xDSU's would be the summit starting to crumble due to the realigning and the mvc finally giving a crap about what's happening around them.

Now that we are officially in the Big Sky, it would take a whole lot of movement to affect us. The Big Sky has effectively earthquake proofed itself in the event of major conference shakeup. Worst case is Montana, Sac State, and Portland St (if the WAC is totally desperate to survive) all leave, but the Big Sky would still be standing strong. That can't be said for the Summit. Omaha has to have a place for it's football to land, and there is absolutely no way that Creighton would ever allow UNO to have the MVC brand associated with it. The Big Sky is really the only option for UNO if it moves up.

The problem with the MVFC has always been that that the MVC schools don't want to lose their majority in that conference. The MVFC can't become a superconference like the Big Sky: the MVC won't allow it. Illinois State was thought to be a school that might leave, but the MAC is now only looking east. Talk is also about Youngstown State leaving the MVFC for the Colonial, but Youngtown's admission standards are basically JC/remedial level and almost all the CAA schools pride themselves in academics. There's now talk that more schools in the Colonial will start football (Virginia Commonwealth and UNC-Wilmington and maybe even George Mason) + Charlotte and maybe Kennesaw State are joining, so it's not like the CAA has to look far to backfill schools that might move football to the MAC.

Now that we are officially in the Big Sky, it would take a whole lot of movement to affect us. The Big Sky has effectively earthquake proofed itself in the event of major conference shakeup. Worst case is Montana, Sac State, and Portland St (if the WAC is totally desperate to survive) all leave, but the Big Sky would still be standing strong. That can't be said for the Summit. Omaha has to have a place for it's football to land, and there is absolutely no way that Creighton would ever allow UNO to have the MVC brand associated with it. The Big Sky is really the only option for UNO if it moves up.

The problem with the MVFC has always been that that the MVC schools don't want to lose their majority in that conference. The MVFC can't become a superconference like the Big Sky: the MVC won't allow it. Illinois State was thought to be a school that might leave, but the MAC is now only looking east. Talk is also about Youngstown State leaving the MVFC for the Colonial, but Youngtown's admission standards are basically JC/remedial level and almost all the CAA schools pride themselves in academics. There's now talk that more schools in the Colonial will start football (Virginia Commonwealth and UNC-Wilmington and maybe even George Mason) + Charlotte and maybe Kennesaw State are joining, so it's not like the CAA has to look far to backfill schools that might move football to the MAC.

You do realize that Creighton has no say in what happens in the MVFC. They don't have a vote...its a seperate conferece. The MVC voted to allow the Gateway conference to use the VALLEY name and brand.

You do realize that Creighton has no say in what happens in the MVFC. They don't have a vote...its a seperate conferece. The MVC voted to allow the Gateway conference to use the VALLEY name and brand.

You are correct. But I think the point is that the majority of the MVFC is made up of MVC schools, and they will think of protecting the MVC brand first and foremost. That is why their permission was needed to replace the Gateway name with the Missouri Valley name.

Personally, I think it is a moot point, because I believe that the MVFC is probably the most stable of all FCS conferences............Football is a second-class citizen at virtually every member school, save for NDSU and perhaps Youngstown, neither of which are members of the MVC. And, as in the past, they will never proactively expand, rather only reactively, as in if they lose a member. I believe their history shows this.

I hadn't seen this posted previously. This is Fullerton's announcement of UND and SUU joining the Big Sky.

For those that have ever heard Tom Douple speak, and not Doug Fullerton, I'd recommend watching the video.

It is pretty easy to see why Brian Faison stated several times that one of the reasons they decided to go with the Big Sky over the Summit was because he has been impressed with the Big Sky's commissioner.

I do recall Fullerton talking about the Big Sky possibly getting to 16 teams before the Pac 10. Any chance the Big Sky goes after the XDSU's?

According to a poster on USD's board, an announcement concerning USD to the Big Sky could come as early as Thursday or Friday. The same poster also states that the MVFC option may not be totally dead...

I don't like to hear that.

It may end up not mattering, but I wonder whether it was a strategic mistake to accept the Big Sky invitation before USD was ready to accept. I don't like that USD is sitting out there by itself with an opportunity for the MVFC to come to its senses and make an offer.

I don't like to hear that.

It may end up not mattering, but I wonder whether it was a strategic mistake to accept the Big Sky invitation before USD was ready to accept. I don't like that USD is sitting out there by itself with an opportunity for the MVFC to come to its senses and make an offer.

I have to admit that USD is in quite the position of power for negotations with both the Big Sky and the Summit/MVFC. I also wonder if having to start men's tennis a bigger deal for USD than it is for UND, I think I remember reading that SDSU had a different Title IX standard than NDSU because of the SD Board of Regents.

I do recall Fullerton talking about the Big Sky possibly getting to 16 teams before the Pac 10. Any chance the Big Sky goes after the XDSU's?

According to a poster on USD's board, an announcement concerning USD to the Big Sky could come as early as Thursday or Friday. The same poster also states that the MVFC option may not be totally dead...

The option of the MVFC may not be totally dead but unless the MVFC guarantees an invite to the Yotes in the very near future I don't see it happening. UND and SUU are beginning Big Sky play in 2012-13. The Big Sky will be very busy determining divisional splits and schedules over the next 18 months. I doubt that the Big Sky would threaten to pull USD's invite if they don't make a decision soon but I could see them saying...we need to get moving on scheduling if you don't make a decision by (insert date of choice here) then you might not start league play until 2013-14.

IMO...rumors of talks will NOT give pause to the Yotes. A signed MVFC invite might...can the MVFC move that fast?

GO SIOUX GO BIGGER SKY

As much as I would love to see USD continue with us I wouldn't lose any sleep if they stayed in the Summit/MVFC. The Big Sky how it is now set up offers UND the opportunity for a nice television market. It puts us with some schools who truely care about academics and want to align themselves with other schools that do as well. It puts us in a market that has a HUGE population base to potentially continue our growth. It gives us something different to offer recruits from around the region. Maybe travel will be more but there are is also more to gain by taking the leap. There is obviously vision within the conference. The presidents, AD and commissioner where not going to wait around as they see the potential that is there and I am glad UND is a part of it.

The Summit/MVFC is a nice conference and one I would be happy with as well but I wouldn't mind being the odd man out in the Dakotas. There is a lot of potential having the opportunity in offering something different

USD is making me a little nervous. It benefits us to have them with us out there. The Big Sky is a great conference still without them, but it would be nice to have another Dakota school with us.

I wonder if Patty Viverito maybe finally sees what the future holds with the Big East expanding and the domino effect it could have on the MVFC? Working diligently behind the scenes to get the conference to go with adding USD maybe at warp speed? I hope not.

Ahhhh, the Big Sky...

This USD student newspaper article was linked on the USD board: http://www.volanteonline.com/sports/usd-athletics-to-announce-home-of-coyote-sports-1.2391581

I can't see the MVFC possibly making that quick of a decision at this point, so if there truly is a press conference either tomorrow or Friday, it still appears that all signs point to USD to the Big Sky.

This USD student newspaper article was linked on the USD board: http://www.volanteonline.com/sports/usd-athletics-to-announce-home-of-coyote-sports-1.2391581

I can't see the MVFC possibly making that quick of a decision at this point, so if there truly is a press conference either tomorrow or Friday, it still appears that all signs point to USD to the Big Sky.

I have a concern that the Regents will be more concerned about the real or perceived higher travel costs and the fact that the Summit/MVFC would get USD and SDSU back in the same conferences.

I am hopeful that USD also joins the Big Sky, but I'm glad that neither UND nor the Big Sky made that a contingency for UND joining. I think they will ultimately join.

The Yankton Press seems to think that Big Sky is the correct decision....

As a bonus, a prospective USD membership would reunite the school with former NCC rivals North Dakota and Northern Colorado. While it’s not SDSU, it does give Coyote fans a foundation with which to identify, as well as a couple of immediate rivals.

While the move would preclude the resumption of the State-U rivalry on a conference level, the door will remain open for the two schools to hook up again. It will happen; it’s only a matter of time.

USD moving to the Big Sky Conference is a practical direction for the school, and the Regents should approve. It will be the start of a great new journey for a school that has traveled quite far rather quickly.

I have a concern that the Regents will be more concerned about the real or perceived higher travel costs and the fact that the Summit/MVFC would get USD and SDSU back in the same conferences.

I agree. If it was just an issue of just getting the Board of Regents to sign off, then what is taking so long? Are they out of the country or what? ;)

Presumably, USD got the invite when UND and SUU did, which at the latest was on Friday.

It's now Wednesday.

I am hopeful that USD also joins the Big Sky, but I'm glad that neither UND nor the Big Sky made that a contingency for UND joining. I think they will ultimately join.

I hope USD is on board, but it's not as important as a week ago. The nightmare scenario would have been if they got an MVFC invite without us, and Big Sky said both schools or nothing. We would have been screwed.

Some Sioux Falls interests are likely totally miffed at USD, as Sioux Falls has big plans for a new arena that would be the annual host of the Summit League. With three or four Dakotas, the Summit would have held that tournament in Sioux Falls most years before near sell-out crowds. Now, if USD goes, and new teams come into the Summit, Sioux Falls as the host won't be the slam dunk they were hoping for. Ironically, if USD could end up hosting the Big Sky tournament (regular season winner hosts), Vermillion - not Sioux Falls - could end up hugely benefiting. In South Dakota, a USD decision is supposed to benefit Sioux Falls, much like a UND decision should be made to benefit NDSU. :lol: Would be interested to hear a USD perspective on this.