SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference

GeauxSioux

so then we would have 13. Terrible divison seperation BUT then montana leaves (as speculated by many) so then 12 (6X6)

that is the worst case scenario right now... No montana and no USD. OUCH!!!

And possibly without Montana State. That would be the worst case scenario.

I do not like where this thing is going right now. I have to say I'm quite jealous of USD. I can't believe they were able to pull off a MVFC invitation. I can't help but think none of this would have happened if UND had waited to accept the Big Sky invitation until USD had approval.

This is the MVFC's doing. They got involved with USD after UND Committed to the Big Sky. The question is: Did the MVFC schools only want to go to ten and waited so they wouldn't have to pick between the UXDs? Or do the member schools actually prefer USD over UND?

Location-wise, USD beat UND.

Well, I shouldn't have said UND's biggest fear; rather, my biggest fear (other than football independence). I don't know how the UND administration will feel about it. I just can't imagine the other three Dakota schools in the Summit and MVFC, while UND is isolated in the Big Sky. UND will immediately become the Southern Utah of the Big Sky being geographically isolated and having no travel partner. And I am very concerned about Montana and maybe even Montana State leaving the BIg Sky. In my opinion, without the Montanas, the Big Sky loses a lot of its luster.

Being isolated wouldn't be awesome, but it's better than being an independent in football. It would be somewhat surprising if USD managed to secure an invite out of MVFC in 3 days, in that the MVFC hadn't shown any interest in USD in the previous 18 months so why care now that they're about to be snatched up by Big Sky? However, even if that is what happened (and good for USD if it did!), the MVFC seemingly didn't have similar concerns about UND being snatched up.

If USD's announcement tomorrow is an invite to MVFC, it's pretty surprising how no one saw it coming (Big Sky leadership were convinced it was a done deal on Monday, which means USD leadership told them so; and South Dakota media were convinced USD to Big Sky was a done deal, and repeated such a dozen times, as recently as their online chat late this afternoon and blog posts like this yesterday). If that's the way it goes, makes you wonder what happened at that Board meeting (insistence on loyalty to SDSU?)

Since the next step in USD to Big Sky was a press conference tomorrow or Friday, and BSC officials and S.D. media were convinced that's what was happening as recently as this afternoon, Occam's Razor still suggests that's what the press conference is about until someone with more credibility than a couple anonymous message board posters say so.

I do not like where this thing is going right now. I have to say I'm quite jealous of USD. I can't believe they were able to pull off a MVFC invitation. I can't help but think none of this would have happened if UND had waited to accept the Big Sky invitation until USD had approval.

The conference politic game is pretty interesting. I would have never guessed this. USD better be ready to man up if they are going to battle it out in the MVFC. I wonder if the fact that they got a win over MN made them appeal to the MVFC schools? It also has become rather apparent that the MVFC and the Summit work very close.....closer than I would have guessed.

Also....for those of you that have not watched the Big Sky until now......Commish Doug Fullerton makes some stupid decisions and it looks like the way they announced conference additions was another.

Regardless, UND is surely better off than a month ago.

Being isolated wouldn't be awesome, but it's better than being an independent in football. It would be somewhat surprising if USD managed to secure an invite out of MVFC in 3 days, in that the MVFC hadn't shown any interest in USD in the previous 18 months so why care now that they're about to be snatched up by Big Sky? However, even if that is what happened (and good for USD if it did!), the MVFC seemingly didn't have similar concerns about UND being snatched up.

If USD's announcement tomorrow is an invite to MVFC, it's pretty surprising how no one saw it coming (Big Sky leadership were convinced it was a done deal on Monday, which means USD leadership told them so; and South Dakota media were convinced USD to Big Sky was a done deal, and repeated such a dozen times, as recently as their online chat late this afternoon and blog posts like this yesterday). If that's the way it goes, makes you wonder what happened at that Board meeting (insistence on loyalty to SDSU?)

Since the next step in USD to Big Sky was a press conference tomorrow or Friday, and BSC officials and S.D. media were convinced that's what was happening as recently as this afternoon, Occam's Razor still suggests that's what the press conference is about until someone with more credibility than a couple anonymous message board posters say so.

MVFC hadn't showd any interest because they only wanted one school (USD) and thought and kney that USD/UND was supposed to be a package by a handshake agreement with the AD's. UND bit to take on the big sky invite before USD could becuase of their BOR. So USD hadnt showed their acutal palying cards untill tomorrow at noon but someone leaked it out tonite that they showed here hands and had a blackjack into the MVFC/Summit while UND just had a king and queen.

This is the MVFC's doing. They got involved with USD after UND Committed to the Big Sky. The question is: Did the MVFC schools only want to go to ten and waited so they wouldn't have to pick between the UXDs? Or do the member schools actually prefer USD over UND?

I think the members prefer USD over UND due to location. The MVFC was never going to add both UND and USD. And left to their own devices, they probably would prefer to add neither. But I think the MVFC invitation to USD was a direct result of the Big Sky poaching UND from the Summit. It probably got some people's attention and caused the MVFC to wake up. At that point, UND is off the table and maybe the thinking was that 10 is doable.

All I know is this royally sucks. Great for USD. Not so great for UND.

I think the UND administration botched this. This should have waited a little longer before accepting. If UND and USD stay together, I don't think the MVFC ever considers USD.

UND has a home in a conference in which they have strived to be members. I am ecstatic. I would have liked for USD to go with UND, doesn't appear as though it will happen. Partner with UNC.

Why is this such a bad deal. So we are not in a conference with a couple other schools, we are still in a pretty good conference that we weren't in last week. UND and USD where in two completely different situations. UND had no conference affiliation and when one was presented you have to take it. USD was in the Summit and had obligations to that conference. They had high costs in moving around and it maybe didn't work out. Good luck to them where ever they end up but I still believe that UND has an opportunity to create our own path in the Big Sky.

Why is this such a bad deal. So we are not in a conference with a couple other schools, we are still in a pretty good conference that we weren't in last week. UND and USD where in two completely different situations. UND had no conference affiliation and when one was presented you have to take it. USD was in the Summit and had obligations to that conference. They had high costs in moving around and it maybe didn't work out. Good luck to them where ever they end up but I still believe that UND has an opportunity to create our own path in the Big Sky.

I don't think the Big Sky would have withdrawn the invitation if UND had held out a few more days.

And UND and USD were not in completely different situations. They were in slightly different situations.

One more thing

Montana president is a usd alum. Do u think he gave them inside information on whether montana was going to stay or go? If he told them montana goes, that is a big name school leaving the big sky. Meaning the big sky becomes that much less visible.

what a nite

Rumors of Tom Douple's demise were greatly exaggerated.

As much as we dislike him around here, he gets the last laugh.

Your acting like a jilted lover or someone who got ditched at their Senior Prom. We don't need USD and they don't need us. We are in the BSC a dream come true since our transition began...move on already.

I don't think the Big Sky would have withdrawn the invitation if UND had held out a few more days.

And UND and USD were not in completely different situations. They were in slightly different situations.

I'd say the amount of money potentially involved in a buyout, location, ability to add sports and scholorships to meet BSC criterea, funding available in the athletic budget to ease some travel costs and one already having a signed contract to another conference. These are more than slight differences between UND and USD. Each has to do what is best for them while staying within their capabilities.

Every post you have is like the sky is falling. Its not. UND is still in a pretty good situation.

MVFC was not coming to GF.

Nope. As I said above, "even if that is what happened (and good for USD if it did!), the MVFC seemingly didn't have similar concerns about UND being snatched up."

It's weird (if true), because USD and UND weren't selling themselves as a pair. USD accepted their Summit invite without any concern about UND; and there was nothing preventing MVFC from making a similar invite, which USD surely would have accepted. The suggestion that MVFC secretly wanted USD but needed to get UND out of the way first is kind of crazy to me.

I can all ready see the spin off from USD's take.

We were in a tough situation with the buyouts.

MVFC reached out and save the day.

We wish UND the best and good luck to them.

The big sky is a good conference but just wasnt doable with teh situation we faced.

Cant wait to play the mvfc and join the summit.

Your acting like a jilted lover or someone who got ditched at their Senior Prom. We don't need USD and they don't need us. We are in the BSC a dream come true since our transition began...move on already.

Exactly. If someone had told me a month ago that UND would be in the Big Sky and USD was going elsewhere, I'd be saying USwho? UND has dreamed of the Big Sky. The dream happened.

I call it like I see it. People around were giving Tom Douple crap for getting schooled by Doug Fullerton. I just pointed out that it appears Douple got the last laugh.

I think the "dream come true" is yet to be determined. Let's see what the Montana schools decide.

Hey-good for USD, the city of Sioux Falls, and the state of SD for showing a maturity that the leaders in ND have not been able to pull off. They also played a freaking AMAZING hand of poker here. Whether thats the regents, the athletic department, or anyone else, I haven't had this much respect for their program since 1986.

That being said, the only thing this changes for UND and the fans is how we feel about it. To borrow a phrase from PA, our "nookie blankie" has been pulled away. We knew that in the vague future it would be possible the Montanas could move on. With USD at our side, that loss didn't seem so severe. Now that prospect is not a good scenario. However, we can't compare that hypothetical to where we are today, or where we were last week when we thought USD was in the BSC. We have to compare that hypothetical to where we were without a conference home for FB and a pending Summit invite. That's what we compare it to. Is the program better off as a member of a USD and Montanas-less BSC at some point in the future vs independent football and (potentially Summit member. I say the program is still much better off.

The MVFC had no intention of adding both UND and USD under any conditions. They didn't plan to add any schools right now. They didn't want to go to 10 teams and definitely wouldn't have gone to 11. So waiting wouldn't have gotten UND into the MVFC.

If USD has received an invite to the MVFC and take it as it sounds like may be happening, they probably would have done the same thing if UND were still waiting with them. Their move to the Big Sky had to be approved by their Board of Regents. It still would have taken this long, even if UND were still waiting with them. The MVFC would have had the same amount of time to change their mind and make an offer to USD. They probably still would have made an offer to only USD and not UND. And USD probably would make the same decision because the Board of Regents would look at cost of travel and having USD in the same conference as SDSU. No matter how UND played the game, the result for USD doesn't change and neither does the result for UND.