SiouxSports.com Forum

Favre and the Vikings......

WYOBISONMAN

they need to get the ball in Webb's hands

Exactly. He looked really good in the preseason. Don't know who it was that said he looked raw, but if raw means being able to scramble, a good arm, and scoring touchdowns, then I'm all for it. He looked much better than TJack did, albeit against a 2nd or 3rd team defense, but still, the guy has talent. I was really hoping he'd get some time in the preseason with the 1st team and see what he can really do. Unlike Jackson, this guy could have a career in the NFL.

82 - Thanks for the perspective. However, it wasn't "my poll." It was a poll put on by some joker on ESPN Radio. And it is just a backup QB, but a backup QB is just 1 hit away from becoming the #1 for a period of time. You may not feel the same way, but I'd feel much better with Sage backing up Brett than TSuck. Regardless, though, this whole season is looking to Brett. The Vikings are NOT deep. Vincent Jackson is a pipedream. He is too expensive for what you get for him and I didn't realize that there was the extra 3 weeks in there (I knew about the initial one). Oh well.

MadScout - I don't know how true it is, but the jokers at ESPN Radio called him raw. In fact, my quote was almost word for word with what they said.

Watched the game from start to end and here's my observations:

1. Any Vikings fan should love the last 2 minutes of the game. The commentators spend the entire time giving excuses as to why the Vikings lost this game. To counter here's my excuses: Had that WR caught the ball, had the Saints had a kicker, the score would have been higher by 13 points in favor of the Saints. So.... apart from a blown point after and I believe one errant TD pass, the Saints would have won regardless.

2. The Saints offensive line is good.

3. The Saints playbook was weak. They exploited the weak secondary of the Vikings at will in the opening possession and then simply stopped. They changed to a short game there after and didn't really do much to try to stretch the field again.

4. The pass secondary was awful for the Vikings. If that's what to expect, then they're going to need special performances by the D-Line to not get themselves big pass played into oblivion.

5. Favre looked mediocre. This is mostly because Favre is an old flake. Had he reported to camp earlier (ankle truly allowed rather than speculatively), this may not have been such a problem.

6. I'd like to say they missed Sidney Rice but look: They're only down one WR and are otherwise healthy on offense. They weren't as crippled as the commentators made them out to be.

7. Peterson did a pretty decent job overall.

8. Not impressed with Berrian (MIN) or Bush (NO)

9. That Thomas kid on New Orleans is pretty good. Not great, but good.

10. Some hilarious calls during the game. Maybe I don't understand offensive pass inteference, but Shankoe (sp?) didn't really interfere with the NO player when the ball was no where near where the infraction took place. Also, the false start call on Brees was hilarious. He did the exact same thing every single snap and the official decided to call him for it on one of them.

11. The Saints won't repeat if they continue to play like this. They'll make the postseason for sure, but they won't repeat.

12. The Vikings will hold a winning record but otherwise won't do anything special at this rate. They still may make the postseason because apart from Green Bay, the NFC North looks pathetic again.

Flame away.

I was moderately pleased with the Vikes on Thursday. Favre looked a little rusty, but he will come around. I do think we are missing Sidney Rice badly at WR. I do think we need to improve in our defensive secondary and I was surprised that Allen did not put the hurt on anyone.

I hate that we traded Sage. I think that was a huge mistake and I can't figure out why Chilly is married to Tjack for the backup. Man I hate Tjack. So, it looks like Webb is the future, and I am glad we have him. Webb needs to be leaning all he can from Favre this season so he can start to take the reins as QB when the Favre era ends.

I am glad we have Favre and I am looking forward to another great season of Viking football!

they need to get the ball in Webb's hands

If I understand this correctly, unless they decide to activate Webb as something other than the #3 QB this season, he won't get in a game unless Favre & T-Jack go down with an injury. Once the player occupying the roster spot designated as the #3 QB enters the game, the #1 and #2 QBs cannot return. In order to get Webb the ball they would have to deactivate someone at another position (i.e. WR, special teams) and activate him in that spot.

If I understand this correctly, unless they decide to activate Webb as something other than the #3 QB this season, he won't get in a game unless Favre & T-Jack go down with an injury. Once the player occupying the roster spot designated as the #3 QB enters the game, the #1 and #2 QBs cannot return. In order to get Webb the ball they would have to deactivate someone at another position (i.e. WR, special teams) and activate him in that spot.

NFL teams can have 45 players active for each game. This total can include their #3 QB if they want to have him available to rotate in and out or play another position. Or they can have 45 active players plus designate another player as the #3 QB. In that case, if the #3 QB enters the game then the other 2 QBs cannot return unless the #3 gets injured. So you are basically right, although there are a couple of additional options.

It's being reported everywhere today that Ryan Grant is done for the year with significant ankle damage, they're saying torn ligaments and a possible fracture, so Brandon Jackson will step into the starting lineup and get his chance to be the #1 guy. I think Jackson should be able to produce enough as the starter, but they are a little thin on RB talent after that and will probably be bringing some guys in or possibly working a trade for some depth. I still think they're the team to beat in the NFC, but now they'll be leaning a little more heavily on the arm of Rodgers.

As far as my Vikes go, they really didn't play that bad on Thursday, after NO drove the ball down their throat on the first drive they played pretty good defense the rest of the game. Offensively they looked rusty (maybe at 40 Favre really does need a little training camp after all), and obviously they missed Rice a lot. Hopefully they can find another decent receiver to go along with Harvin until Rice gets back, I think Camarillo might be OK as a #3 once he learns the playbook better, but I can't stand to watch Berrian anymore. He doesn't even try to get seperation from his defender...he lopes through his route and IF he happens to get open and IF the ball is exactly where his hands are and IF he doesn't hear footsteps from a defender....he will probably drop it anyway. 1 or 2 catches a game from someone of his caliber is not getting it done, even Betty White could do that. I see today they brought in 4 receivers for workouts, hopefully somebody stood out, having Shiancoe being your leading receiver is not something I would like to see on a weekly basis.

It's being reported everywhere today that Ryan Grant is done for the year with significant ankle damage, they're saying torn ligaments and a possible fracture, so Brandon Jackson will step into the starting lineup and get his chance to be the #1 guy. I think Jackson should be able to produce enough as the starter, but they are a little thin on RB talent after that and will probably be bringing some guys in or possibly working a trade for some depth. I still think they're the team to beat in the NFC, but now they'll be leaning a little more heavily on the arm of Rodgers.

As far as my Vikes go, they really didn't play that bad on Thursday, after NO drove the ball down their throat on the first drive they played pretty good defense the rest of the game. Offensively they looked rusty (maybe at 40 Favre really does need a little training camp after all), and obviously they missed Rice a lot. Hopefully they can find another decent receiver to go along with Harvin until Rice gets back, I think Camarillo might be OK as a #3 once he learns the playbook better, but I can't stand to watch Berrian anymore. He doesn't even try to get seperation from his defender...he lopes through his route and IF he happens to get open and IF the ball is exactly where his hands are and IF he doesn't hear footsteps from a defender....he will probably drop it anyway. 1 or 2 catches a game from someone of his caliber is not getting it done, even Betty White could do that. I see today they brought in 4 receivers for workouts, hopefully somebody stood out, having Shiancoe being your leading receiver is not something I would like to see on a weekly basis.

Yes, GB is the team to beat in the NFC North, but it's not going to be a cakewalk for them even in conference. Favre can pull wins out of his ass (one of the things that makes him a HOF QB) so I think Week 1 proves nothing. Brandon Jackson is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE question mark. He, too, has injury history in college and the pros. There are some RBs out there, but I don't see GB going out and getting one. I thought Denver beat them to the punch. Maroney was cheap-ish and if the Pack does as predicted, that's going to be a late 4th rounder (I think it was a 4th rounder) anyways. I wouldn't panic if I'm the Packers until after this weekend. If Jackson does alright, then you address depth. If he doesn't or he gets injured, then panic sets in.

As for the Vikings, the NO game was just one you look for glaring errors and work to fix it. I never though the outcome was in doubt. The Vikings played very poorly in their secondary and in their offense. They'll need to step it up if they wish to succeed, but they will. They have to. This is it. THE season for the Vikings. After this season, Favre flakes out and signs with the Chiefs (where every HOF QB goes to fade into the sunset...see Montana and I think even Young) and the Vikings are left with Childress and TSuck/Webb. Childress is alright provided he doesn't make ANY calls on either side of the ball and hires future head coaches to do the work for him and adjust at half time accordingly... wait.. Why is Childress employed again? Nevermind. Anyways, this is the year folks. After this, it is mediocrity at best despite Rice, Harvin, Peterson, etc.

Speaking of Kansas City...

They are 2-0.

The 'queens?

*laughter*

Looks like the primadonna syndrome has hit the Vikings. Favre pussing out on training camp for a second year in a row means he has absolutely no confidence in the depth. In Rice he trusts. Rice went down. So much for the Vikings.

Good luck making a playoff run if they do go 0-6, 1-5, or 2-4...assuming no bye and Rice comes back in Week 7.

• 1 month later...

this just could sum up the Vikings season - but I'm sure there is still more to come :silly:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CallousTongue#p/a/u/0/N2pcuLOk6Wc

Fellow Viking fan sent that to me yesterday, I've seen this Hitler video used for a lot of parodies but this is one of the better ones.

It is pretty damn funny but unfortunately it is mostly true. Tough to be a Viking fan. :(

Wilf got close to taking one more step towards righting the ship... but alas... it's not to be yet.

Chilly still has a job.

The Queens disaster rolls on.

I guess Wilf was mad that Chilli cut Moss and was thinking about firing him.

Moss is such a dick that Chilly was probably right in releasing him.......that being said......I sure hope like hell that this gets Chilly fired (I just wish we could get rid of the Wilfs as well).

I seriously can't watch much more the Chilli buffoonery and gong show. This guy is as prolific and as people friendly as a bad case of hemroids.

I would take the Vikings losing the rest of the season to get rid of Childress and the Moron wearing number 7.

Moss is such a dick that Chilly was probably right in releasing him.......that being said......I sure hope like hell that this gets Chilly fired (I just wish we could get rid of the Wilfs as well).

Not sure what more you could ask from the Wilfs. Other than maybe a better eye for head coaching talent. They've been a good ownership group, much better than Red or the gang of 10.

I'm not a big fan of Moss either but I will say this in defense of him:

Without Moss, Culpepper looked more the TJack than the results that got him all those accolades early on in his career.

I will say this in defense of Wilf:

Half of the veterans that are on the Vikings at this time that weren't drafted by Minnesota I don't see being acquired by Minnesota under McCombs. Wilf seems to be willing to spend money if the player is right. McCombs would have loved to have a roster full of league minimum salaries if he could some way fill the seats.

I will say this in defense of Chilly:

.... He's managed to fool Wilf into overpaying him by about $10 million over 4 seasons.

I can't believe that Childress was more sought after than GB's head coach. I don't think that he's even good enough to get an NFL job as an offensive coordinator after this gig. Charlie Weiss may have been a bust at Notre Dame but his pro O-coord skills aren't diminished... after all. Kansas City is playoff bound at this pace! Holy Flipping COW!

Now, Wilf can't get the likes of Bill Cowher if he should do the right thing and fire Childress. However, I think he could go after a few coaches that are currently out of work or are on the hot seat. For example, a few that come to my mind are:

Jack Del Rio, Wade Phillips (yeah, I know, but seriously... who is coaching the Cowgirls? Phillips or Jerry Jones? I doubt Phillips has any control over the team), Gruden (though I've heard he's the leading candidate for the Dallas job), Dom Capers, heck... even Cam Cameron.

I'd love to see someone like Herm Edwards or Tony Dungy but those aren't likely to return.

However, with the new coaching staff will come a few years of hardship. You see... Harvin and Rice are the only WRs I'd really consider keeping. Webb would be a good project QB but that's two QBs gone out of 3. There would need to be some rebuilding.

Heck... maybe San Diego will fire Norv Turner and the Vikings could nab him to be the OC. :D

At this point, the only coach the Queens have that I'd consider retaining is Frasier.

Yes.......T-Jack is worthless. Why the Vikes got rid of Sage rather than T-Jack is beyond me. It is like T-Jack and Chilly have some sick, twisted and perverse relationship. Give me a guy that texts a hottie a dick picture any day of the week over the T-Jack/Chilly crap!!!!

I was upset with that move as well.