SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at Northern Illinois

star2city

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are leaving tomorrow (Thursday) and staying overnight in Madison. Then getting up and going to Dekalb on Friday.

Madison is about 2 hrs away from Dekalb, albeit driving fast... why would they stay in Madison and then drive 2 to 3 hrs friday and wait around until a saturday night game...just doesn't make sense.

Madison is about 2 hrs away from Dekalb, albeit driving fast... why would they stay in Madison and then drive 2 to 3 hrs friday and wait around until a saturday night game...just doesn't make sense.

Pratice Friday to get to know the field, plus meal time together on Saturday to prepare for the game and study time to keep up their grades

I think they normally try to arrive by early afternoon on the day before most games. Last year I was at the airport on business as they were leaving between 10 and 11 AM on charters for 2 different games.

Yea I suppose it does make sense. That way they can rest up the night before as well.

From the live chat coaches show tonight....

On UND's QB front, Mussman says should see lots of double QB use from UND. Goska planned to get action early.

Says Landry's talent and arm gives UND best chance to win. But offensive options is key for Sioux.

Let's hope Landry's arm can direct the ball closer to his targets, some of the throws against Idaho were brutal. Good to hear Goska will get some downs too, sounds like they might open it up a little more this week.

On UND's QB front, Mussman says should see lots of double QB use from UND. Goska planned to get action early.

Says Landry's talent and arm gives UND best chance to win. But offensive options is key for Sioux.

Let's hope Landry's arm can direct the ball closer to his targets, some of the throws against Idaho were brutal. Good to hear Goska will get some downs too, sounds like they might open it up a little more this week.

Lots of strong arm QB's around. Accuracy and keeping your poise are far more important in this game.

Wow - this quote from Mussman says a lot about him and the state of the program. We are in the 3rd year of transition - If Landry (who had one of the worst performances in modern Sioux history) not only keeps his job, but "gives us the best chance to win" what does that say about our recruiting, judgement of talent, and offensive philosophy? Landry's skill set is well known - even when he's playing well he has problems with passing touch, accuracy, and his tendency to lock on to one receiver and telegraph his throws. I had hoped that with our expanded scholarships we would be more competative this year.

Wow - this quote from Mussman says a lot about him and the state of the program. We are in the 3rd year of transition - If Landry (who had one of the worst performances in modern Sioux history) not only keeps his job, but "gives us the best chance to win" what does that say about our recruiting, judgement of talent, and offensive philosophy? Landry's skill set is well known - even when he's playing well he has problems with passing touch, accuracy, and his tendency to lock on to one receiver and telegraph his throws. I had hoped that with our expanded scholarships we would be more competative this year.

I think UND is in kind of a tough spot at quarterback until one of the two true freshmen is ready to take over in a year or two. Landry is obviously a senior, and has been very up-and-down. Goska is a junior and a talented runner, but unless UND goes to some sort of veer-type offense, he's probably not the full-time answer, either this year or next year IMO. Nichols played 9-man football, and is a good athlete, but may fall into a category similar to Goska, i.e. is he enough of a passer? Hendrickson is another talented athlete, but has had to switch to receiver, and seemed to be more of a runner (albeit a very good one) than passer in high school. No quarterbacks were brought in with the 2009 recruiting class. So that leaves Demler and/or Comes as the quarterback of the future. Hopefully at least one of them is ready to contribute as early as next year.

Not to make excuses, but another thing to keep in mind is how few fourth and fifth year players there are right now who would have been considered very good NCC players (and these players were recruited before Mussman was even the head coach). I count maybe six or seven, and all but one or two are on the defensive side. I believe that's in large part due to the circumstances surrounding the recruiting class of 2006, insofar as UND hadn't made any formal decision regarding whether to stay dII or go dI. That uncertainty hurt recruiting. And as far as the class of 2007, it had no possibility of post-season (other than for the few who played as true freshmen), and there has been a very high attrition rate from that class. Throw in the class of 2008 and Lennon's departure in the middle of the recruiting season, and the handful of decommitments, and it becomes clearer why UND has such a young team right now.

I think UND is in kind of a tough spot at quarterback until one of the two true freshmen is ready to take over in a year or two. Landry is obviously a senior, and has been very up-and-down. Goska is a junior and a talented runner, but unless UND goes to some sort of veer-type offense, he's probably not the full-time answer, either this year or next year IMO. Nichols played 9-man football, and is a good athlete, but may fall into a category similar to Goska, i.e. is he enough of a passer? Hendrickson is another talented athlete, but has had to switch to receiver, and seemed to be more of a runner (albeit a very good one) than passer in high school. No quarterbacks were brought in with the 2009 recruiting class. So that leaves Demler and/or Comes as the quarterback of the future. Hopefully at least one of them is ready to contribute as early as next year.

Not to make excuses, but another thing to keep in mind is how few fourth and fifth year players there are right now who would have been considered very good NCC players (and these players were recruited before Mussman was even the head coach). I count maybe six or seven, and all but one or two are on the defensive side. I believe that's in large part due to the circumstances surrounding the recruiting class of 2006, insofar as UND hadn't made any formal decision regarding whether to stay dII or go dI. That uncertainty hurt recruiting. And as far as the class of 2007, it had no possibility of post-season (other than for the few who played as true freshmen), and there has been a very high attrition rate from that class. Throw in the class of 2008 and Lennon's departure in the middle of the recruiting season, and the handful of decommitments, and it becomes clearer why UND has such a young team right now.

Good analysis. That's why I see this as a transition year from the lesser talented teams of the last two years to what should be more talented (D-I calibre) teams next year and thereafter, as the talent that has been recruited the last two years won't start making any significant impact until next year.

Exactly - "No Quarterbacks were brought in in 2009".

This leaves us with Landry, Goska (who apparently is a worse passer than Landry), and a 9 man quarterback. I get that we're young, but come on - I hate to mention NDSU, but I will. They appeared much further along in their 3rd year without all of the growing pains you documented so well. . In addition, they brought in freshmen last year and this year that helped them upset Kansas. We need to do better and be competative.

The Bison came out of transition and were a bad football team their first two years of playoff elgibility. I am not sure they are the poster child on how to do it. Let's just hope when we are palyoff elgible that we are beter than what the Bison were when they became playoff elgible. Time will tell with a couple more recruiting classes.

Let's just hope when we are palyoff elgible that we are beter than what the Bison were when they became playoff elgible. Time will tell with a couple more recruiting classes.

I agree. We all knew this would be a slow, gradual process in building the team for 2012. Let's remember that. If in 2012 we are not where we need to be, then I will join the rest of you and hold your hand while we jump off the ledge together. ;)

In the mean time, we just have to watch the team and program progress and grow, hopefully for the better. There has been and will be growing pains along the way. That I am sure of.

The Bison came out of transition and were a bad football team their first two years of playoff elgibility. I am not sure they are the poster child on how to do it. Let's just hope when we are palyoff elgible that we are beter than what the Bison were when they became playoff elgible. Time will tell with a couple more recruiting classes.

And may your spelling improve. Face it, there are more DI schools looking at the same kids in the region than 10 or even 5 years ago. It is going to be tougher and tougher to get quality players with their heads screwed on straight to move to any school that does not have a chance for some national attention. The Bison wins over FBS programs echo very loudly when you compare them to other regional FCS schools. It will be very interesting to see how USD does this Saturday against the Gophers and how UND does against NIU. If they aren't competetive then not a lot of progress has been made in keeping up. A conference helps out the schedule, but you still have to get the talent in the door. Not sure the answer on that is going to be known for some time.

I don't think NDSU is necessarily the poster child on how to do it either. However, if the program doesn't give the fans something to cheer about now, there will be apathy and empty seats to greet the team when the transition is complete.

What is more important winning FBS games or winning FCS games? Yes there is more pulicity beating big brother but it doesn't help getting into the playoffs if you can't win the rest of the 9 or 10 teams on your schedule.

This is what I was saying on another topic in the Football forum. The FBS wins are exciting and they garner a lot of positive media coverage. But the bottom line at both UND and NDSU is playoff success and championships (both conference and national). Without those, the FBS wins become nothing more than a curious diversion.

This is what I was saying on another topic in the Football forum. The FBS wins are exciting and they garner a lot of positive media coverage. But the bottom line at both UND and NDSU is playoff success and championships (both conference and national). Without those, the FBS wins become nothing more than a curious diversion.

A diversion which gives the University and it's football program regional and national recognition. Which in turn does help with recruiting. I know that making it to the playoffs and winning championships will do the same thing. However, we are not eligible for a few years yet. Say what you want about NDSU's blue print for the transition, bottom line is, they are recruiting a better quality athlete than what UND has been the last few years. Winning agains an FBS team, or at least being competitve will do wonders for UND with recruiting.

If NDSU wins 3 or 4 games this season I think people will forget the Kansas game.

What is more important winning FBS games or winning FCS games? Yes there is more pulicity beating big brother but it doesn't help getting into the playoffs if you can't win the rest of the 9 or 10 teams on your schedule.

Recall that the Bison lost only 2 games in two years and won 3 of 4 games against FBS teams, the loss by one point. They beat both FCS and FBS teams and gained national attention BEFORE they were playoff eligible. I remember that more than I remember who won the MVFC those years or who was FCS national champion. I am a Sioux fan, but you have to respect the program they put on the field during that period. This year's KU win will eventually be evaluated as the season progresses, but in the meantime you have to admit that it was college football news while UND's hammering at Idaho was lost in the wind. In spite of a poor record the last 2 years, the Bison have not been blown out in any game they have played. Again, I hope that UND can begin to match up better as they grow the program, but the fact is it is tougher now than it was in the past so it could be a very difficult road for many years.

Recall that the Bison lost only 2 games in two years and won 3 of 4 games against FBS teams, the loss by one point. They beat both FCS and FBS teams and gained national attention BEFORE they were playoff eligible. I remember that more than I remember who won the MVFC those years or who was FCS national champion. I am a Sioux fan, but you have to respect the program they put on the field during that period. This year's KU win will eventually be evaluated as the season progresses, but in the meantime you have to admit that it was college football news while UND's hammering at Idaho was lost in the wind. In spite of a poor record the last 2 years, the Bison have not been blown out in any game they have played. Again, I hope that UND can begin to match up better as they grow the program, but the fact is it is tougher now than it was in the past so it could be a very difficult road for many years.

Again whats more important. I would rather UND lose to the FBS teams but beat the FCS one's winning the conference and play for a national title. If NDSU has a 3-8 record you think Bison fans are going to care they beat Kansas no they want to be in the playoffs, they would like to host the playoffs for the first time ever in the dome. Beating a FBS team is great if you have a successful season. But if thats your only win your season is a failure.