SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Idaho

GeauxSioux

Looks like the Sioux will have their hands full in week 1...

Its July and that means we are less than one month away until fall camp kicks off at Memorial Stadium. We decided to do a little research on the first opponent, the Idaho Vandals.

- Finished 2009 with an 8-5 record and won their bowl game, the Humanitarian Bowl, over Bowling Green by a score of 43-42 on a last second TD. They come into this season with a confidence that hasn't been seen in Moscow in a long, long time.

- Have 14 starters returning - 4 on offense and 10 on defense.

Go Sioux!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idaho will be a very good team. Their QB, Enderle, is a 4 year starter. Had a chance to watch him play on TV against the Washington Huskies last season. Idaho outgained Washington offensively but just couldn't cash in on their red-zone opportunities. Washington did. Enderle was 22-31 for 279 yards that game.

Our secondary will have a very tough test.

The Idaho-BG game was arguably the most exciting game of the entire bowl season last year. Neither team knew how to play much defense. I honestly don't know a thing about North Dakota football, but I reckon even FCS schools could put up some points on the Vandal defense which surrendered 433 yards and 36 points per game last year. On the other side of the ball, the Sioux should try to generate a good pass rush because Idaho's offensive line will be largely inexperienced this season. Don't give Enderle much time to make something happen or he'll burn you.

The Idaho-BG game was arguably the most exciting game of the entire bowl season last year. Neither team knew how to play much defense. I honestly don't know a thing about North Dakota football, but I reckon even FCS schools could put up some points on the Vandal defense which surrendered 433 yards and 36 points per game last year. On the other side of the ball, the Sioux should try to generate a good pass rush because Idaho's offensive line will be largely inexperienced this season. Don't give Enderle much time to make something happen or he'll burn you.

The Vandal's receivers are tall and elusive too, so Enderle has great targets to throw at. The good thing for UND is that Idaho's OL was decimated (including a 1st round pick), so the DL may be able to pressure the QB - more than would have been possible last year.

The Vandal's receivers are tall and elusive too, so Enderle has great targets to throw at. The good thing for UND is that Idaho's OL was decimated (including a 1st round pick), so the DL may be able to pressure the QB - more than would have been possible last year.

The Sioux D did a pretty good job getting on Texas Tech's QB for a good part of the game last year. Idaho will be a much less intimidating place to play, with around 15-16K max at the game. I think the Sioux will be able to play with them...

I actually watched this whole game live and also have it on my DVR so I have watched it 2 or 3 times since. It was definately one of the best Bowl games this last year. It was definately a bold move by Coach Akey to go for the 2 point conversion instead of just the PAT to force another OT. It'll be interesting to see if he can truely turn their program around.

The Sioux D did a pretty good job getting on Texas Tech's QB for a good part of the game last year. Idaho will be a much less intimidating place to play, with around 15-16K max at the game. I think the Sioux will be able to play with them...

Just pretend its the Fargodome and beat the Vandals.

Moscow is located on what is called the Columbia River Plateau. Lots of mountains in the 4500 ft range yet the city itself is around 2600 ft so elevation is a factor that should not affect the Sioux a great deal. I would encourage Sioux fans to make the trip. In addition, Pullman, WA (home of Washington State) is less than 10-miles away. I would also recommend fly fishing at nearby Troy Reservoir. Go Sioux!

Right, and about 16K is capacity, not sure if they pack the Kibble Dome when a non-conference opponent comes in. I could research their game by game attendance, but ehhhhh

Just double your average and you'll about have it. Good luck against the Vandals they might be overlooking you.

Just double your average and you'll about have it. Good luck against the Vandals they might be overlooking you.

Everthing should bode well for the Bison this year too. After a 3 win season everyone will be overlooking the Bison .

Everthing should bode well for the Bison this year too. After a 3 win season everyone will be overlooking the Bison .

For what it's worth (which may not be much), I have a nephew who graduated from Idaho in 2006 after attending community college up on the Iron Range. At the time he was in school at Moscow, the Vandals weren't much fun to watch, according to my nephew. Games at the dome there, he said, were for the most part attended by family, friends of the family and girlfriends. But that may have changed. Idaho's exciting comeback win over Bowling Green in a bowl game may have just set the stage for another fine season. In any event, Go Sioux.

Danno, don't you have your own program to worry about? Are you sure Bohl has everything under control there?

As far as the type of atmosphere to expect, Idaho averaged 12,546 last season. For their home opener against Mountain West foe San Diego St., they drew 10,324 coming off of a 2-10 season. Their highest attended game was against Mountain West member Colorado state at 16,000.

I'd expect the atmosphere to be similar to playing at a higher-end FCS program with a crowd somewhere in the 12,000-14,000 range. Excitement is high right now for the Vandals. In addition to that exciting bowl win, they are coming off of their first winning season since 1999. They recently announced a major upcoming renovation to their Dome. This is a program that was extremely competetive at the FCS level until they moved up in the late 90's.

It is however, IMO, a very winnable game for North Dakota.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

I have all the details now for the pregame party for the Idaho game, which is sponsored by the UND Alumni Association:

Best Western University Inn (walking distance to the game)

Moscow, ID

Thursday, September 2

3 PM - 6 PM PDT

Free Admission

Food and Drink Specials

Drawing for Door Prizes

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! Thanks!

Matt

Hey Everyone,

I have all the details now for the pregame party for the Idaho game:

Best Western University Inn (walking distance to the game)

Moscow, ID

Thursday, September 2

3 PM - 6 PM PDT

Free Admission

Food and Drink Specials

Drawing for Door Prizes

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! Thanks!

Matt

That is awesome you are taking the lead and setting this up. I won't be there, but: Thanks, from this Sioux fan.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on another board and had to chuckle....

North Dakota is not going to be a problem. I know the Fighting Sioux well. This is a program in turmoil. The entire athletic department is in shambles with the courts regarding protecting the name Fighting Sioux, to issues with transition to d1. Its also been a mess with the coaches. So much friction is going on right now that they are going to make major changes. Even the hockey team is a mess right now. When they moved to d1 they lost alot of people, and some people have gone awol and aren't really backing the program like they said they would. They weren't that knowledgeable in the move and they are in the phase of fixing up mistakes

That is hilarious. But that is exactly what we want them thinking prior to our game with them.

I love how the guy THINKS he has the pulse on our situation, but really has no friggin clue whatsoever. I may have a guess as to who it might be? :lol:

Hilarious; Idaho River ( all tied up in court over the name) followed by none other than JBB. The Sioux hockey team is in shambles since they went D1, everyone left. (Is that like 50 years ago.). They called the hockey team NDSU when they hosted their own tournament. Only JBB could make this sh?* up as he goes (maybe D. Adam can also) :lol:

Hilarious; Idaho River ( all tied up in court over the name) followed by none other than JBB. The Sioux hockey team is in shambles since they went D1, everyone left. (Is that like 50 years ago.). They called the hockey team NDSU when they hosted their own tournament. Only JBB could make this sh?* up as he goes (maybe D. Adam can also) :lol:

Also JBB said we beat Idaho State with a last minute score...we never trailed in that game. What a douche.

I see our sociopathic, insecure buddy JBB is filling in the Idaho fans about us in that same thread.

Lakes did this last year with the TT board. Am I the only one who thinks this is totally pathetic? They are basically the face of NDSU Football on these boards. Makes us look better, I guess.